ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: two different 2k inverter gens ?  (Read 15580 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: two different 2k inverter gens ?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

I would definitely not assume you can tie hots and neutrals together - phase synchronization requires electronic coordination. I also don't see the benefit of tying hots together. Put half the load on one, half on the other. Bond the generator grounds together.

Note that this discussion applies ONLY to inverter generators that are designed to be paralleled. Each generator when started checks to see if there is already voltage present and if so synchronizes to that generator.  I agree it requires electronics in place.
Not to Code

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »

A buddy who has a Honda EU2000 asked about using my Wen 2000(basically a Yamaha) together. If each is doing different chores yet tied together with interconnected wiring (like XLRs), Would you need to sync the two generators or would grounds-only be enough?

He wants one for mains and FOH, the other for back line and a few powered monitors.

I did a lot of reading on this subject recently and it is a mixed bag on opinions regarding paralleling 2 different generators. Manufacturers insist it should not be done BUT apparently folks have done it successfully.
Bear in mind that the available power drops by 200w when paralleled- not a lot but still a loss. You ( or your friend)  would get a little more power by keeping the gennys running separately and just bonding the grounds.

BTW - I used my Yamaha EF3000 and one of my Yamaha 2000 for the first time at a show this past weekend and my gennys were the talk of the town!! Everyone couldn't get over how quietly and smoothly they ran. I used the 3000w for the PA and the 2000w for everything else (backline).

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »

While using two power sources is not really the best idea, if you must divide up stage/monitors/FOH/etc, I use transformer isolation on ALL audio connections.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

kel mcguire

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »

I would definitely not assume you can tie hots and neutrals together - phase synchronization requires electronic coordination. I also don't see the benefit of tying hots together. Put half the load on one, half on the other. Bond the generator grounds together.

I think this will be the plan. He has the Companion EU2000 but I don't feel comfortable sending him my Wen2000 then trying to sync those two together. They'll sit next to each other with grounds tied. There is no other stage or power being supplied.

Transformers isolation on 20 lines is not a consideration at this point.

I bought the Wen 2k used for camping but it has really worked well for small gigs and video shoots.
It ran a community stage PA for 7 hours couple weeks ago. My own band for 4 hours, and PA for races. I am pleasantly surprised by how nice it is.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »

Transformers isolation on 20 lines is not a consideration at this point

You needn't isolate your stage inputs.  Isolate your drive lines, ground the stage.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

kel mcguire

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »

You needn't isolate your stage inputs.  Isolate your drive lines, ground the stage.

you mean the returns to the stage? I'm failing to see where not worrying about the 16 XLRs coming into the board makes floating the return lines matter?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 05:56:15 PM »

While using two power sources is not really the best idea, if you must divide up stage/monitors/FOH/etc, I use transformer isolation on ALL audio connections.

I had my iem rack, mixer and router powered from the FOH genny too. The only things running on the other one was a miked cab, and fans to keep cool. So nothing was connected common to both. I tied the grounds together too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:10:42 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:14 PM »

As long as all of the grounds are bonded together, it should be the same as a POCO powered setup-just on a smaller scale.

Two gennies?  Does anyone working in large venues spend a great deal of time making sure that all of the power comes from the same transformer? Ina large venue, it wouldn't be unusual to have multiple step down transformers (code definition-seperately derived service) supplying different subpanels.  Electrically no different than mutilple gennies.

The only wires having a difference in potential-voltage/phase are the hot or ungrounded conductors.  How often does the "hot" conductor supplying power to a modern piece of audio gear actually make it past the power supply before it is isolated?
Steve Swaffer

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 12:31:04 PM »

Note that this discussion applies ONLY to inverter generators that are designed to be paralleled. Each generator when started checks to see if there is already voltage present and if so synchronizes to that generator.  I agree it requires electronics in place.
It MAY be possible, but no one has suggested a use case where this is of any benefit.

kel mcguire

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »

It MAY be possible, but no one has suggested a use case where this is of any benefit.

what? paralleling two inverter generators or running two side by side, powering diffract portions of the gig? Or ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.