ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Post Auction/Repack  (Read 8970 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Post Auction/Repack
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »

Yesterday 6/15/17 the FCC issued T-Mobile hundreds of licenses for 600 MHz operations at many locations around the USA.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:57 AM »

Yesterday 6/15/17 the FCC issued T-Mobile hundreds of licenses for 600 MHz operations at many locations around the USA.

I'm assuming It won't be long for our area, T-Mobile is already putting in lots of co-location permits where I live to start deploying the physical infrastructure...  while I knew it was coming, the speed at which we are losing spectrum post-auction is much faster than I expected. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »

Do you have a link that lists the locations and frequencies of these licenses? How much power will these sites be? In other words how much of an area will be affected by each site? I am just wondering if this is anything that will affect anyone around where I am. Or am I asking the wrong questions or in the wrong way?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

Do you have a link that lists the locations and frequencies of these licenses? How much power will these sites be? In other words how much of an area will be affected by each site? I am just wondering if this is anything that will affect anyone around where I am. Or am I asking the wrong questions or in the wrong way?

There's some interactive maps here:

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

It doesn't seem to list actual frequencies that I can tell, but does show bandwidth.  T-Mobile looks like they are the largest consumer of the 600MHz spectrum, and according to various news articles from this week, plan on rolling out things in that band by the end of the year. 

Robert Schoneman

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »

I've been looking at the licenses issued in my market, combined with the re-pack info, and it appears there will be plenty of 600MHz whitespace left after all is said. Is there any legal reason that I won't be able to operate 600MHz equipment, provided it doesn't interfere with any licensees?

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »

I've been looking at the licenses issued in my market, combined with the re-pack info, and it appears there will be plenty of 600MHz whitespace left after all is said. Is there any legal reason that I won't be able to operate 600MHz equipment, provided it doesn't interfere with any licensees?

Yes: The legal reasons are: 1) Those bands sold at auction are no longer allocated to Part 74 broadcast auxiliary or Part 15 services, and 2) the equipment you own now that can operate in the auctioned bands will automatically lose its FCC certification July 2020. Thus, you would be operating uncertified / non-approved equipment, and doing so in licensed bands without a license. (Last I recall, fines were $11,600.00 per day per incident, where each transmission, or channel, is considered and "incident", but do check with your telecommunications counsel.)

Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Robert Schoneman

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »

Yes: The legal reasons are: 1) Those bands sold at auction are no longer allocated to Part 74 broadcast auxiliary or Part 15 services, and 2) the equipment you own now that can operate in the auctioned bands will automatically lose its FCC certification July 2020. Thus, you would be operating uncertified / non-approved equipment, and doing so in licensed bands without a license. (Last I recall, fines were $11,600.00 per day per incident, where each transmission, or channel, is considered and "incident", but do check with your telecommunications counsel.)

Bummer. In our market there's only 20MHz of downlink and 20MHz of uplink that was purchased between T-Mobile and Dish Network. That leaves a lot of bandwidth that I could easily use with some Lectrosonics Block 25 and C3-banded BTR's which would both be well clear of the licensed bands. Do all Part 74 and 15 devices lose their FCC certification for any 600MHz operation effective July 2020? Seems a shame to lose 100MHz of spectrum to 40MHz of licenses.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 12:37:14 PM »

Bummer. In our market there's only 20MHz of downlink and 20MHz of uplink that was purchased between T-Mobile and Dish Network. That leaves a lot of bandwidth that I could easily use with some Lectrosonics Block 25 and C3-banded BTR's which would both be well clear of the licensed bands. Do all Part 74 and 15 devices lose their FCC certification for any 600MHz operation effective July 2020? Seems a shame to lose 100MHz of spectrum to 40MHz of licenses.

Any current equipment that can tune to a frequency =>614  will lose its cert at that time. There is however consideration at FCC (which will be voted upon Wednesday 6/28) that if the OEM can provide a firmware update so the affected equipment will be restricted in the tuning to the 614-617 range and duplex gap at the 20mW power level, the equipment will automatically receive a new certification, but if approved, that compliance mechanism would need to be worked out.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »

Any current equipment that can tune to a frequency =>614  will lose its cert at that time. There is however consideration at FCC (which will be voted upon Wednesday 6/28) that if the OEM can provide a firmware update so the affected equipment will be restricted in the tuning to the 614-617 range and duplex gap at the 20mW power level, the equipment will automatically receive a new certification, but if approved, that compliance mechanism would need to be worked out.
Hi Henry,

What are your thoughts on part 74 licensees applying for STA or Experimental service licenses in 600 band spectrum on blocks not licensed to telecom at specific locations? I remember reading about a certain professional wireless sys... er, company doing just that for gigs after the 700 MHz reallocations, with equipment that had lost certification.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »

Hi Henry,

What are your thoughts on part 74 licensees applying for STA or Experimental service licenses in 600 band spectrum on blocks not licensed to telecom at specific locations? I remember reading about a certain professional wireless sys... er, company doing just that for gigs after the 700 MHz reallocations, with equipment that had lost certification.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Speaking Los Angeles, Block G went unauctioned in that market. That's 10MHz of unused, and unusable spectrum in a market that will probably end up with 18MHz-24MHz of useable spectrum.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.