ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW KF600iP  (Read 2379 times)

Griffen Behm

EAW KF600iP
« on: June 09, 2017, 12:54:41 AM »

Hello,

I've recently come to own a pair of KF600iP as part of a package deal - spent the afternoon 'getting to know them' as bit and have come up with a few questions.

-The "P" version, safe to assume is to indicate "Permanent"? They are indeed install cabinets with no handles and barrier strip inputs.

-Though it's a triamped box, I discovered that the MF and HF still have an internal crossover built in. Curious what these might be doing, and if there's anything I should take into consideration when applying processor settings. I've started with the KF600i settings though I did find I needed to tweak the MF/HF xover and eq a bit to obtain a flatter response.

-I'm noticing some port chuffing on both cabinets when running some mid-level dance tracks through them. Curious if that's to be expected with this box, or if something might be awry. It doesn't sound like the drivers are damaged, unless that's what I'm hearing through the ports.

Thanks for any Insight!
-Griffin

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: EAW KF600iP
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »

Hello,

I've recently come to own a pair of KF600iP as part of a package deal - spent the afternoon 'getting to know them' as bit and have come up with a few questions.

-The "P" version, safe to assume is to indicate "Permanent"? They are indeed install cabinets with no handles and barrier strip inputs.

-Though it's a triamped box, I discovered that the MF and HF still have an internal crossover built in. Curious what these might be doing, and if there's anything I should take into consideration when applying processor settings. I've started with the KF600i settings though I did find I needed to tweak the MF/HF xover and eq a bit to obtain a flatter response.

-I'm noticing some port chuffing on both cabinets when running some mid-level dance tracks through them. Curious if that's to be expected with this box, or if something might be awry. It doesn't sound like the drivers are damaged, unless that's what I'm hearing through the ports.

Thanks for any Insight!
-Griffin
Are you using the recommended settings for these loudspeakers from EAW?  Are you using their processor?
Are you using a high pass on them?  Your information is a bit limited.
Here are your processor settings.
http://eaw.com/docs/2_Legacy_Products/Processor%20Settings/KF600_%20KF600i_PROCS_rev2.pdf

Griffen Behm

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »

Hello,

Yes, I'm using the KF600i processor settings you shared, however it's on a BSS Minidrive.

They are high passed at 41Hz per those settings. However, these will likely be used with subs going forward so that HPF point can be raised - I imagine that will help mitigate the port chuffing.

Thanks,
-Griffin

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:53:25 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for any Insight!
-Griffin

A couple of things:
The recommended settings are very much a starting place. With any of the EAW KF series I have not been able to input those values into anything 3rd party and have it work out perfectly, there's always some "help" needed. This was a fairly widely discussed topic years ago, the short story is: there will always be differences and unless you know exactly what processor those values were written for all bets are off on how close you're going to get out of the gate to the target response.

The internal x-over networks are never truly bypassed, they're in circuit. The processor settings will take them into account unless of course the networks are broken or have been bypassed. It's best to do a visual inspection to look for blown up or swollen capacitors, or anything that may have become disconnected. Measure or listen for any differences from one to the other, a difference could indicate a problem with the passive x-over, or the wrong components could be installed, see below.

I wouldn't worry about the chuffing too much if you're going to be using a sub. Try running the HPF up to 100hz and see what happens. Make sure the cabinet bracing is still tight and has not come loose.

In this era of EAW product there were a lot of changes made to the various models which is reflected in the suffix of the cabinet. Some suffixes indicate minor changes, or the various options like handles/no handles or a change to the rigging hardware. But, some are major re-designs and the components are not interchangeable (I'm thinking of the KF650e VS KF650Z specifically). Also, EAW tends to charge a premium for replacement parts, most of which are available directly from the OEM for less money BUT you have to know what's what when it comes to substitutions. Some OEM parts are a direct swap, while some use special diaphragms or cone kits only available from EAW. The problem that crops up is that there's a high potential for the wrong parts to be installed in these cabinets, so with anything EAW I always start by verifying that the correct components are installed and working correctly before moving on to trying to "fix" them with DSP. (which is good advice when working with any used loudspeakers)

Matt
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:04:07 AM by Matthew Knischewsky »

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 01:06:54 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for any Insight!
-Griffin
One other quick question.  Do these loudspeakers have the original OEM drivers in them?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 01:06:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.