ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gym sound (2 floors)  (Read 6481 times)

Kevin McDonough

Re: Gym sound (2 floors)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »

hey

In the broadest sense, it sounds like you're looking for what's known as a 100v line system.

This is slightly different from a normal PA system in that you can connect a long chain of speakers along one cable, so for big commercial buildings where you need to cover large areas with lots of small ceiling or wall speakers its the kind of system that will almost always be used. It generally won't give you the kind of loud music you would get in the studio, but is perfect for general background music. The exact type of speakers and how they're laid out would depend on your building, so would need to be judged by a professional.

There would be one or more amplifiers to power all of these speakers, and these would be fed by a "zone mixer" which would allow you to have a few different music sources (iPod, Music channel on TV, etc) and send them to different parts of the building. This can be as controllable as you need (and are able to afford in your budget), meaning you could have the choice of all of the rooms having the same, or being able to be set independently as needed.

You would have an input into this for a paging mic for making announcements, and also a link from your fire alarm system to mute the music to allow people to hear the alarm.

Now, in giving you all of this information, I am not suggesting this is a DIY project, or something that can be done on the cheap. I'm really just giving you it all so that when you speak to a proper, qualified instructor, you will know what you're looking for. It really is something that should be done by people that have experience and will provide the correct levels of safety, compliance with regulations, insurances etc.

k

Stelios Mac

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »

It's been said already, I'm gonna say it once more; Get a professional to spec and do the install - "big Bluetooth speakers" sounds very, very wrong.

A professional should design a system that will cover the spaces uniformly and with good ineligibility, whilst taking care of all your needs (SPL, means of music playback & system management) with sound quality that corresponds to your budget.

Proper implementation is MUCH more important than just (quote) "the best (ie. affordable and good quality) sound system".
Things like the coverage pattern of the speakers, placement, aiming, processing & alignment are much more important than "Oh this box says JBL on it, this one says L'Acoustics, the latter is superior!" - And only a professional will get those aspects right.
You are absolutely NOT wasting your money by hiring a professional, in fact the exact opposite. There's a LOT more to it than just "positive goes to positive, negative to negative, power to the amplifier and it's alright". A professional will save you from a lot of mistakes, trial & error - And I assume it's the exact same way in every industry, including yours.
The issues of safety, insurance & permits have already been brought up as well.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »

- I am based in the UK

I forgot to ask where you were located. 
In this case I do not know the code compliance issues for integration to life safety systems, specific cable designation needs (plenum, riser, etc.), requirements for hearing aid compatibility, etc., etc.

I would definitely suggest getting a professional involved so that there is someone helping you to ensure that both your needs and code compliance issues are met.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Greg Mikolap

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »

Thank you for all the replies, they are great.

I will start looking and making phone calls tomorrow

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »

Hi there, where abouts in the south of England are you? I am in W. Sussex.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

David Buckley

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »

You're in the UK?  Chances are your installer will recommend equipment from Cloud, who are the established go-to brand for this kind of application.  You might like to read a bunch of their case studies to understand some typical approaches to background audio.  Obviously, the case studies show the big systems, but they have kit to cover the very small to the very large. 

The Multi-Zone Mixer Amplifiers solutions are very popular, and one of their four zone models might exactly match your needs.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »

You're in the UK?  Chances are your installer will recommend equipment from Cloud, who are the established go-to brand for this kind of application.  You might like to read a bunch of their case studies to understand some typical approaches to background audio.  Obviously, the case studies show the big systems, but they have kit to cover the very small to the very large. 

The Multi-Zone Mixer Amplifiers solutions are very popular, and one of their four zone models might exactly match your needs.

Cloud has some very cool, individually addressable, Bluetooth interfaces.
Quite interesting for exercise rooms where an instructor may want to play from their iPad, etc.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.