ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eartec years later  (Read 3386 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Eartec years later
« on: August 14, 2014, 02:38:57 AM »

So, lots of times it would be handy to have some wireless com. Patching the stage is a prime example. Walkie-Talkies are fine, but full-duplex wireless com has some non-mission-critical uses where a $10,000+ system is not available or warranted.

Has anyone tried (or re-tried) the Eartec stuff lately? A few years ago it seemed pretty weak, but I'm wondering if it's improved at all as they have completely new models and systems on their web site.

Again, not looking for it to replace DX/Tempest/Reidel level gear, just something handy to own that would make life a little easier.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jansen Lee

Re: Eartec years later
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »

I have the ComSTAR FlexMax base station with three Compak beltpack/ultralite CS headsets.  The kit came with battery charger and a battery for each of the beltpacks and two for the base station, which can also run with an AC adaptor.  It operates in the 1900MHz PCS band and there have been reports from various users that it picked up other communications; I haven't had this happen yet.

1. The range is quite good, I had our lighting guy walk to the end of the parking lot outside the theater and he didn't get any drop out on tx or rx, it was about 1000 feet away.  This is without external antennas on the unit, but it's very sensitive to placement height.  I usually put it on top 2 8-space racks sitting on the work surface in the sound booth.

2. Sound quality is only acceptable at best, volume on the Compak, even with the request to max the output when I ordered it, is not loud enough for when the stage volume is really loud.  I have no info for the all-in-one headsets.

3. Compak talk button functions as a mute, and it's only latching rather than PTT.  Many of our users forget to mute and we'll have to remind them to get off the line.

4. Ultralite CS fit is not too good, need to bend the metal on the headband but it feels like it won't stand for much of that.

5. Batteries for the Compak last about 5-6 hours, but they're cheap enough to buy spares and replace at intermission.

6. I ordered with the option to interface with a wired intercom, but have not purchased the interface.  Eartec lists specific interfaces for Clearcom, Telex, etc. and they're $450 each.  Was thinking I might be able to mod one to use a custom output wire specific to each brand.

Not sure if I'll be breaking the board rules if I put in a price range that I paid, but it was a lot cheaper than a ClearCom or Telex system with the same number of wireless packs.  My shows are not so mission critical so it works for me, I'm sure it would not for most on this board.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:22:53 AM »

Thanks for that info.

It sounds like if they made some simple changes, they could have a fairly usable system. It's too bad they don't get someone in charge that can fix the design as their pricing is great.
It sounds like the fixes needed are mostly design issues, not major changes that would raise the price considerably.
Too bad.
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »

Just wondering if you still have this setup? How do you feel about it now?
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »

I see they have a couple of new models now.

Wondering if anyone has tried the UltraLite and if they're any better than the old ones?
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.