ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I need? New FOH B-rig  (Read 19083 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: What do I need? New FOH B-rig
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »

Are you just looking for speakers?
Mains, subs and monitors?

2-4 subs, 2 tops and probably 3 monitors. I'll more than likely stick with the iQ10 for monitors so they will all match.

Call it $6000 for FOH max.

Club owners aren't happy with a powered head and crap SOS. I've got an XR18 and a 16.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »

What about some second hand EAW NT / Nexo PS15 / RCF TT?
A Pair of cased TT25As in good condition can be had for about $2.5k in Europe, a pair of TTS18As for roughly the same.
You may be able to find properly amplified & processed PS15s for a similar price, no idea about the EAWs.

They'll be heavier than the iQ speakers, but they should be more powerful, and would probably sound better.
I reckon they'd be much more flexible if you end up doing larger events later as well.

Thank you!
I can't find any RCF or Nexo used in the area. I'll keep an eye out though. They are out of my price range new, but could possibly swing a used deal if the price was right.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 07:43:53 PM »

My bar rig is a EV ZXa5 over 2 KW181 per side

Not much I don't like about it. I suspect a crank pole would help me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 12:59:44 AM »

If you have the means to haul it, the JBL SRX 828p/835p combo (2 of each) might be had for your price range if you look around. And it would probably have enough muscle to do some small outdoor shows.

Mike Goodreau

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »

Turbo IQ is great. Try the presets for Nexo PS10's.
Makes them sound better. We are dealers for them if you ever need prices.
Mike at Ace Audio, Middletown CT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »

Ok, so you guys (and gal) are always asking the same questions when people come here for system advice. I decided to lay out my requirements here in hopes of getting some sound advice before purchasing anything.

I provide sound for several bands, including my own, in local bars. There isn't much in the way of competition in the area. The only other sound company focuses on larger events than I am targeting. He runs Yorkville TX cabinets and has an X32. He also rents larger FOH systems for outdoor events. I am targeting local bands. I have a lot of interest from them as my reputation is growing and venues are no longer happy with a powered head running a pair of crap SOS. My business is growing because my clients are happy with the sound and service I provide. My goals with this system are to keep or improve the sound quality, and to make things more bomb proof for when someone else is driving the rig.

I currently use a QRx112/75 over SB180 passive rig. It doesn't belong to me, and I want to own my own gear.

My typical venue for this rig would be a 30' x 50' room with 12'-14' ceilings. Most have 2-3 dedicated 20A circuits on stage. SPL requirements are 105db C-slow at 16m. The acts range from old country to modern rock.

I do about 90-100 shows a year, ranging from $100 for a pair of SOS and me running sound / sometimes playing, to $300 for the full rig and me running sound. $7000 is my budget for FOH plus a couple more monitors.

I have all the mics, DIs, mixers, stands, racks etc. that I need. I would need cat 5 and Powercon jumpers if I went with a system that required those. I want a powered speaker system.

I am leaning heavily towards the Turbosound iQ family of speakers. I have some 10s and have used the 12s and I think they are a very good product for what they cost. I like the way they sound and I like the ultranet connectivity. I want to make a good business decision and get the highest ROI I can while still providing a quality service to my customers.

I'm not seeking justification for my choice in speakers. If it's a bad idea to go this route, I want to know that before I purchase any more iQ gear.

Thanks for your time and wisdom,

David
Hi David,

I would suggest a pair of SRX812p and a pair of SRX818p's.  This should be more than adequate for you to fill the places you have been playing (and then some I would think).  It is also mobile and within your budget allowing you to get 4 812's and 2 818's (giving you 2 monitors and redundant tops if needed).

If you wish to get 4 monitors of lesser quality and lower price, that would also be an option, but would not provide the redundancy of having the monitors and mains be the same speaker.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »

It sounds like you own and like Turbo IQ. So stick with it.

As a small firm, it is imprtant for you to build an FOH / mons system that can combine when you do bigger shows. So buy some IQ 12" tops and some 18" subs. They aren't the best out there in the bracket - think JBL SRX800 & DAS Vantec for that title, but you already have some and scalability is the most important thing for you. Buy the 12"s over anything else (you already have at least a pair of 10"s) as you will find them the most versatile.

Then add some more. On big shows, you can rent in FOH and just use all your 12"s as wedges and the sub as a drum fill.

On the small stuff, you are fast as all your monitors sound the same and your quality is consistent for both the band and audience experiences.

Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 09:10:20 AM »

If you have the means to haul it, the JBL SRX 828p/835p combo (2 of each) might be had for your price range if you look around. And it would probably have enough muscle to do some small outdoor shows.

The 835p is 85 pounds. That's more than I can lift on to stands. I would also have to purchase much bigger crank stands. I am a 1 man operation, so I think a 12 over 18 setup would work better for me.

I have read a lot on the 835p and people really like them. I just can't see trying to manage those cabinets my myself.

Thank you for the recommendation.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »

Hi David,

I would suggest a pair of SRX812p and a pair of SRX818p's.  This should be more than adequate for you to fill the places you have been playing (and then some I would think).  It is also mobile and within your budget allowing you to get 4 812's and 2 818's (giving you 2 monitors and redundant tops if needed).

If you wish to get 4 monitors of lesser quality and lower price, that would also be an option, but would not provide the redundancy of having the monitors and mains be the same speaker.

This seems like a sensible way to go. The decision at this point seems to be whether paying twice the money for an SRX system is worth it, over the iQ series. The SRX system would probably sound better and definitely get louder, but is it worth it to the business? An iQ system would place me above all my competitors, and well above all the local bands running their own system, except the one company I can't afford to compete with.

Lots of people use QSC K12/181 systems very successfully and make lots of return on their investment. IMO, the iQ12 sound better than the K12, particularly when pushed hard. I need to A/B the SRX vs iQ. My uncle has some PRX710s that I could compare, but I don't know of any SRX users in the area.

I don't need the ability to play outdoors events with this rig. I'll rent for now and save up for a couple years and do it right with a Danley system if/when the need arises.

Having boxes I can use as monitors for a larger system makes a lot of sense, so if I need to cover larger stages, fills and more monitor mixes, I can use existing inventory to cover those needs and just add FOH racks and stacks to cover larger shows. It seems that most use 12" speakers on utility, fills, small SOS, monitor duty. I can see using 10-12 speakers for monitors and fills/delays on a decent sized show. That puts the SRX system $4-5000 more expensive than a mid MI level system. If I end up with more than 5-6 events of this scale a year, the money should be there for the more expensive speakers, but I'm not currently at that level.

I guess it comes down to: what system do I need to satisfy my customers and audiences at the level I'm working at that will also scale into useful equipment if/when I need it.

Does anyone have experience with both the SRX and iQ series?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »

David, I've very little exposure to the iQ speakers but if you're already invested in them and don't see work with higher billing on the horizon I think you would probably be better off staying with Turbo.  In general there is a lot to be said for staying "in the family" regardless of the particular brand name.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.