ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I need? New FOH B-rig  (Read 14057 times)

Stelios Mac

Re: What do I need? New FOH B-rig
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 01:11:16 pm »

Definitely stay with iQs for monitors.
My reasoning for suggesting something along the lines of PS15s (for FOH) was that you'd have enough power to do larger gigs in the future, and have quite a bit of headroom left in the system in case you ever need it (Which you probably will, at some point)...
Not sure how well the iQs would do when pushed if you really needed to get some more out of them.

That being said, you definitely want your monitors to match, and I think the IQs are a pretty good choice for a high-ROI, multi-use loudspeaker. You can never go wrong with a decent sounding, light, powered cabinet at the right price. :)
How many of them do you already have? I'd probably go for something like 6.

Maybe some NuQ for FOH would be a nice compromise between the two?
I've seen some Demo/B-Stock ones go for half their original price.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 01:34:07 pm »

I do about 90-100 shows a year, ranging from $100 for a pair of SOS and me running sound / sometimes playing, to $300 for the full rig and me running sound. $7000 is my budget for FOH plus a couple more monitors.

First of all, this sounds like it is going to be your A-rig, not your B-rig.

Secondly, before you buy ANYTHING, you should have a look at your business plan.  Based on your numbers, your gross income is anywhere from $9K-30K/year.  Assuming a minimum of 8 hours labor per event at $15/hr, your raw labor costs alone will eat up half of your gross income.  Add taxes, insurance, travel, etc, and your business is going to have a hard time actually making a profit. That $7K purchase in gear is very tough to justify for such low paying events.

If you are stuck in the $100-$300 per event pay rate, you should be offering a pair of cheap powered speakers, and maybe a tiny little digital mixer.
Brian Jojade

Stelios Mac

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 01:41:13 pm »

Where did my post go? ???

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 01:46:00 pm »

It sounds like you own and like Turbo IQ. So stick with it.

As a small firm, it is imprtant for you to build an FOH / mons system that can combine when you do bigger shows. So buy some IQ 12" tops and some 18" subs. They aren't the best out there in the bracket - think JBL SRX800 & DAS Vantec for that title, but you already have some and scalability is the most important thing for you. Buy the 12"s over anything else (you already have at least a pair of 10"s) as you will find them the most versatile.

Then add some more. On big shows, you can rent in FOH and just use all your 12"s as wedges and the sub as a drum fill.

On the small stuff, you are fast as all your monitors sound the same and your quality is consistent for both the band and audience experiences.

I do like the iQ 10 and 12, a lot. The problem is my lack of experience with good speakers and systems. A Camaro seems like the most amazing car in the world if all you have driven are mini vans, until you drive a Corvette.

I used 3 iQ10 this Saturday at a benefit in a little dive bar. 2 as wedges and 1 FOH over an SP218. I loved how they sounded, had headroom to spare, and got a lot of compliments I the sound from people who have been around a little. One act was a regional touring country artist (songs on the radio) who plays a lot of events with pro systems. They were very impressed with both the stage and FOH sound. If it's good enough for them?

I just don't want to regret putting my eggs in a basket that has big holes in it down the road, hence my post here.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm doing a lot of reading and lining up some equipment to test drive based on the information in getting here.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 01:48:00 pm »

David, I've very little exposure to the iQ speakers but if you're already invested in them and don't see work with higher billing on the horizon I think you would probably be better off staying with Turbo.  In general there is a lot to be said for staying "in the family" regardless of the particular brand name.

Thanks Tim, and that's why I'm leaning in that direction. I can always use a couple SOS, so I'm not totally committed, but I like what they have to offer, and they are cheap.

Edited to add:
I do see higher paying work on the horizon, but I can't get there with what I have now. It's not even my gear. I'm trying to take risks incrementally without wasting money in the process. If I spend $7000, I know I can easily recoup that looking at my calendar for the year. $30,000 not so much.

The people I need to get involved with to move up the food chain are not sensitive about what gear is on stage (no riders) as long as everything works properly and sounds good. Bands running sound from stage with crap gear is the norm. Some of them are starting to see the value in better production and are hiring me for work. I need to keep up with their needs to keep growing and to keep growing the market in the area as well.

Bands are hiring me because they get booked at gigs when I'm providing (7 bookings at the last show and they booked me for 5). They are getting more money because the crowd stays and it's worth it to the venue. I'm kind of creating my own market here. If there were others doing what in trying to do, I would simply do what they were doing for gear and let my service and professionalism set me apart from the competition.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:03:18 pm by David Winners »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 01:48:21 pm »

I do like the iQ 10 and 12, a lot. The problem is my lack of experience with good speakers and systems. A Camaro seems like the most amazing car in the world if all you have driven are mini vans, until you drive a Corvette.

I used 3 iQ10 this Saturday at a benefit in a little dive bar. 2 as wedges and 1 FOH over an SP218. I loved how they sounded, had headroom to spare, and got a lot of compliments I the sound from people who have been around a little. One act was a regional touring country artist (songs on the radio) who plays a lot of events with pro systems. They were very impressed with both the stage and FOH sound. If it's good enough for them?

I just don't want to regret putting my eggs in a basket that has big holes in it down the road, hence my post here.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm doing a lot of reading and lining up some equipment to test drive based on the information in getting here.

Sorry David... I'm a broken record-LOL...
Best bang for your buck could be the IQ's. Still haven't used my IQ18 in the wild but very impressed and from what I've heard the tops are pretty good too. So for less of an investment this might be your best option....

However, and here is the broken record part...

DSR112 over PRX718's. I LOVE this set up and tend to use it as my 'go to' bar rig. Possibly get the IQ18 and use with DSR112 ???.

SRX812/815 over SRX 818/828. Great system. Very happy with it. more expensive but better SPL outdoors.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 01:48:50 pm »

Best bang for your buck could be the IQ's. Still haven't used my IQ18 in the wild but very impressed and from what I've heard the tops are pretty good too. So for less of an investment this might be your best option....

DSR112 over PRX718's. I LOVE this set up and tend to use it as my 'go to' bar rig. Possibly get the IQ18 and use with DSR112 ???.

SRX812/815 over SRX 818/828. Great system. Very happy with it. more expensive but better SPL outdoors.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 01:53:55 pm »

First of all, this sounds like it is going to be your A-rig, not your B-rig.

Secondly, before you buy ANYTHING, you should have a look at your business plan.  Based on your numbers, your gross income is anywhere from $9K-30K/year.  Assuming a minimum of 8 hours labor per event at $15/hr, your raw labor costs alone will eat up half of your gross income.  Add taxes, insurance, travel, etc, and your business is going to have a hard time actually making a profit. That $7K purchase in gear is very tough to justify for such low paying events.

If you are stuck in the $100-$300 per event pay rate, you should be offering a pair of cheap powered speakers, and maybe a tiny little digital mixer.

It will end up, hopefully, being my B-rig in a few years.

I agree that there isn't much money at the level I'm currently playing. I am not concerned with taking any money out of the business paying myself at this time. If the rig pays for itself, I'm happy with that. My hopes are to recoup this investment and use the money it makes me to step up to the next level. That will be a much larger leap for sure. If the appropriate opportunities are not available to justify another $30,000 invested, I'll just call it my A rig and get everything I can out of it.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 03:06:42 pm »

Might be a little over budget (and the tops passive) but you might look at the new JTR subs (212 Captivator Pro or Captivator 118 Pro with one of the Noesis cabs for tops. Adding a few more subs later on would definitely put that rig in the 500+ person capacity.
http://jtrspeakers.com/pro-audio.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:08:45 pm by Lance Hallmark »
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 04:14:14 pm »

Thanks Debbie. I think it's coming down to iQ for the money or SRX800 for performance. The DSR are in the same league as the iQ, and I'm already in the iQ family with some 10s and I like the ultranet connectivity with my XR mixer. My next mixer will be an X32 when I outgrow the XR18.

Still looking forward to your iQ18b review.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 04:14:14 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.