ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for using what I have for big event...............  (Read 11029 times)

Tim Rose

Advice for using what I have for big event...............
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »

So....I have volunteered to provide and run sound for a local benefit.  The hosting party has since booked a national headline...folk rockish ....lets say initials "PPL".  I am recovering from panic mode and now in focus mode  :D  Trying to make my system as "big" as it can be.   Tops are 5 QRX 115.  2 per side with one center.  I also own 2 QRX 112 and plan to run as wedges....but ..... can anyone think of way to incorporate the 112s with the FOH system.....and be beneficial? 

Other info....Stage is Apex 36x24 (does this make my speakers look small?... :o)   10 ea 18" subs center (ground).  EV DC-One.  Free concert 0 to 2000 expected.  Stage will be facing a metal building which is 200-250' away.  I am prepared to run delays on sticks if we feel the need after setup.   

Thanks.   

Sammy Barr

Re: Advice for using what I have for big event...............
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

I think the 115 and subs will be fine. I would be more concerned with meeting the artist needs on stage. Adding more speakers will not help with clarity. Delays could work if you have a digital mixer that can accomplish the delay. Make them happy on stage and they will make the audience happy. Don't overthink it, if this system sounds good don't worry if it can't do 110 db's at front of house. Oh yeah.  Get the tops up good and high.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:26:56 PM by Sammy Barr »

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »

So....I have volunteered to provide and run sound for a local benefit.  The hosting party has since booked a national headline...folk rockish ....lets say initials "PPL".  I am recovering from panic mode and now in focus mode  :D  Trying to make my system as "big" as it can be.   Tops are 5 QRX 115.  2 per side with one center.  I also own 2 QRX 112 and plan to run as wedges....but ..... can anyone think of way to incorporate the 112s with the FOH system.....and be beneficial? 

Other info....Stage is Apex 36x24 (does this make my speakers look small?... :o)   10 ea 18" subs center (ground).  EV DC-One.  Free concert 0 to 2000 expected.  Stage will be facing a metal building which is 200-250' away.  I am prepared to run delays on sticks if we feel the need after setup.   

Thanks.   

Peter, Paul and Larry?

Who has a concert for 2000 ppl with a national act and volunteer production?

Ten subs and four tops (i wouldn't use one in the center) is a bit unbalanced I'd say. And you will need monitors so I wouldn't try to incorporate the non-matching speakers. I'd spread the tops two per side as wide as possible on your big stage, balance the subs (you have way more firepower than you'll need for the tops). It will make sound and people will hear it. Will it be optimal for an audience of 2000? Depends on how much space you're trying to fill and how loud you want it. If organizers aren't happy maybe next time they can hire a proper rig rather than a volunteer with limited resources. Do the best you can to make it sound good however much space you can fill and be happy with that.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Lee Douglas

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »

You, as the de facto production and sound provider, need to contact the headliner's production people ASAP and find out what they expect, what they need and what they will settle for.  You make this happen directly between you and the person on their staff (preferably their sound person) that can provide current and reliable stage plots, input lists and other pertinent information.  With out this communication your setting this up to be a bad day for you, a bad day for the performers and potentially a disappointing day for the audience.  Hopefully, they will be more than willing to work with what you have and understand its limitations.  But there's always the group that will insist on a high channel count console, a separate monitor mixer and an impossibly difficult to obtain back line.  If it's the later, that cost needs to roll back to the organizers.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Tim Rose

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »

You, as the de facto production and sound provider, need to contact the headliner's production people ASAP and find out what they expect, what they need and what they will settle for.  You make this happen directly between you and the person on their staff (preferably their sound person) that can provide current and reliable stage plots, input lists and other pertinent information.  With out this communication your setting this up to be a bad day for you, a bad day for the performers and potentially a disappointing day for the audience.  Hopefully, they will be more than willing to work with what you have and understand its limitations.  But there's always the group that will insist on a high channel count console, a separate monitor mixer and an impossibly difficult to obtain back line.  If it's the later, that cost needs to roll back to the organizers.

This has been done.  Act management has signed off on the (negotiated) rider.  I will actually have a monitor mixer on stage -dda foh board with all the mics- cables -etc... i also have the back line provided -....  they were however non negotiable on the granola bars and the case of wine...............
I own a small concert barn - this is my rig for that...   Trying to plan everything the best I can - thats why im getting the experts involved (you guys)...

Tim Rose

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »

Peter, Paul and Larry?   Close haha  think little house on the......

Who has a concert for 2000 ppl with a national act and volunteer production?  that would be my friends that did not fully understand the scope of work involved - its just sound right?

Ten subs and four tops (i wouldn't use one in the center) is a bit unbalanced I'd say.

Subs ---  I usually run 6 for this rig.  With more, Im trying to compensate for the cardiod effect of the center cluster.  Wider sub cluster for more coverage?  Im still trying to work the subs out.   

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:58 PM »

IMHO if it's truly a national act, you're in way over your head. I know the QRx are beefy boxes, but if they really do expect 2k, you won't have near enough tops. Subs you may be fine. But if there is a good possibility of 2000 people, you're going to need a beefier top rig. Otherwise it is going to look really bad on you even after the point of volunteering.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »

This has been done.  Act management has signed off on the (negotiated) rider.  I will actually have a monitor mixer on stage -dda foh board with all the mics- cables -etc... i also have the back line provided -....  they were however non negotiable on the granola bars and the case of wine...............
I own a small concert barn - this is my rig for that...   Trying to plan everything the best I can - thats why im getting the experts involved (you guys)...

While there may be a signed rider, that is often done between agent and promoter, not the folks in the trenches working the gig.

Just want to echo what Lee said in that you need to personally get in touch with whoever the on-site production lead for the artist will be day of show. That way they arrive with clear expectations of the gig and a plan of action for how to incorporate their show into your setup.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

They're at least OK with SRM 450s for wedges, if I figured out the "PPL" TLA correctly :)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

Is there any budget to hire more kit?

Looks like its time for you to read up on subwoofer arrays. If you want even coverage from a big pile of subs, you need to look at delays (either physical or electrical).

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.