ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: XR18 vs Mixwiz3 (sound quality)  (Read 8293 times)

David Allred

XR18 vs Mixwiz3 (sound quality)
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »

I am weighing a change to the XR18.  Features - Wow, not really too hard to decide.  But how do the pre-amps, Channel EQs, fader travel, etc sound compared to the MixWiz3?  Noise comparison?

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: XR18 vs Mixwiz3 (sound quality)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »

I have done 100+ shows on each.  For live use, you won't hear any notable difference.  Both are great tools in skilled hands.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »

For live use, you won't hear any notable difference. 

Would that assessment include single (oral) presenter or mello vocal & acoustic guitar in a quiet room?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »

As you already alluded, this isn't a fair comparison. It should be a mix wiz WITH a rack full of decent quality ourboard vs an XR18.

Now, how many times have you had to chase down a noisy insert cable? A scratchy fader on an eq? 60 cycle hum from the FX? Bad pots you have to exercise?

The XR has none of these issues. The more processing you add to the mix, it just stays the same with regard to noise and quality. So in that case I give the XR the win.

If you measured them for any comparitive metrics, side by side, just through a channel strip then yes, maybe the mixwiz is 5-10 percent "better". Whatever that means.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 11:13:44 AM »

When it comes to live sound, there are so many other problems that the quality of a desk will be far down on the list of Things That Alter The Sound.

Big effects:
- Choice of transducers (mics and speakers)
- Deployment of transducers
- Room acoustics

Small effects:
- Choosing between any half-decent mixing desk, assuming they're all adequate for the job.
- Choosing outboard gear

Infinitesimal effects:
- Cables, once you're using something adequate for the job.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »

When it comes to live sound, there are so many other problems that the quality of a desk will be far down on the list of Things That Alter The Sound.

Big effects:
- Choice of transducers (mics and speakers)
- Deployment of transducers
- Room acoustics

Small effects:
- Choosing between any half-decent mixing desk, assuming they're all adequate for the job.
- Choosing outboard gear

Infinitesimal effects:

Chris

This is a great way of breaking it down IMO.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:54:13 AM »

I am weighing a change to the XR18.  Features - Wow, not really too hard to decide.  But how do the pre-amps, Channel EQs, fader travel, etc sound compared to the MixWiz3?  Noise comparison?

I still am at a loss as to how you separate the mic pre-amp chip from the rest of the circuit but still evaluate it in situ.  How do you do that without cutting PC board traces or removing components?

In your situation of timid talkers I think you'd benefit from owning a couple of the high-priced (and highly regarded) lectern mics.  Probably the starting point would be Countyman ISO-Max and moving into Earthworks, Schoeps, etc.  More money than your mixer and potentially more $$ than your DSP box & mixer combined... but your issue is at the source and not in the console so I think you'd get more performance for your money starting with the microphones.

The performance of your loudspeaker system and its deployment are critical as well.  I'm able to put presenters downstage of the PA (in the audience, even) with Shure WL185 lavs.  While my presenters are not usually shy amateurs, I've had my share of voice-challenged folks (one was a psychologist, another was an FBI pilot) and it takes more work but without careful selection and deployment of the PA I'd be unable to accomplish what I want to deliver to my clients.

There is more than consoles and outboard "fix it" DSP....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »

As you already alluded, this isn't a fair comparison. It should be a mix wiz WITH a rack full of decent quality ourboard vs an XR18.

Now, how many times have you had to chase down a noisy insert cable? A scratchy fader on an eq? 60 cycle hum from the FX? Bad pots you have to exercise?

If you measured them for any comparitive metrics, side by side, just through a channel strip then yes, maybe the mixwiz is 5-10 percent "better". Whatever that means.

In my case, Mixwiz using on-board effects and a system processor.  But, I can live with 5 - 10% (whatever that means). ;)  40lbs less and 600 sq inches of table space freed up.   :) :) :)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »

I would go for the Midas MR18 version.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »

Infinitesimal effects:

Chris

It is impossible to overestimate the total joy of NOT having to deal with a snake at the end of the night.
M

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.