ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor man's carillon for a farm.  (Read 7060 times)

Don Williamson

Poor man's carillon for a farm.
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »

I am looking for some help here and hope this is an acceptable post for this area.

My brother is looking to build a bell tower on top of a barn on his farm and would like to have a carillon system install that plays bell music. While he cannot afford an expensive church system, he has asked if I would help him find a cheap way to do this.

I would think that something as simple as a Raspberry Pi (miniature PC) would do the trick, with the 'Church Bell' software installed, an amplifier and a couple of speakers.

I really have no idea on an amplifier or speaker size to get. (Maybe some horn speakers?)

He is not looking to shake the neighbors up a mile away, but loud enough to be heard 1,000 feet or so, with a tone\quality like that of a church bell system

Any help on this would be appreciated.

D. Williamson
Chester, VA

Lee Douglas

Re: Poor man's carillon for a farm.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »

Would that be 1000' in all directions or is one general direction (ie: towards the house) acceptable for this application?
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Don Williamson

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »

I think we decided in 2 directions. The barn is to the right of the house and back a ways. The road is parallel to the barn and the house. So, we are thinking one speaker aimed at the road and another aim to the left at 90 degrees ( if facing the front of the barn ).

I have been talking in PM's here with Jerome Malsack who has helped me figure out what I think I am going to do.. to a degree.

Here are my thoughts:

Amp  - JBL CSA2120 2x120 Watt Power Amplifier
Speakers - 2 - Atlas Sound DR-32 95 Uniform Coverage Horns
Drivers - 2 - Atlas Sound PD60A 60W Compression Drivers

I have MP3s I think can use to generate the bells. The only remaining pieces are the PC items.
Jerome mentioned that the Amp has no fan, which in a barn would be good. Barns tend to be dusty and a fan would likely suck in a lot of dust.

So, the same being said for the PC.. I was thinking a bout using a Raspberry Pi for the PC part. If I could find the software for it that would allow me to schedule the MP3s by time, that would be great.

So I am searching...

Any suggestions on this plan so far?

Thanks!

Would that be 1000' in all directions or is one general direction (ie: towards the house) acceptable for this application?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 01:26:49 AM »

I think we decided in 2 directions. The barn is to the right of the house and back a ways. The road is parallel to the barn and the house. So, we are thinking one speaker aimed at the road and another aim to the left at 90 degrees ( if facing the front of the barn ).

I have been talking in PM's here with Jerome Malsack who has helped me figure out what I think I am going to do.. to a degree.

Here are my thoughts:

I have MP3s I think can use to generate the bells. The only remaining pieces are the PC items.
Jerome mentioned that the Amp has no fan, which in a barn would be good. Barns tend to be dusty and a fan would likely suck in a lot of dust.

So, the same being said for the PC.. I was thinking a bout using a Raspberry Pi for the PC part. If I could find the software for it that would allow me to schedule the MP3s by time, that would be great.

So I am searching...

Thanks!

raspberry pi's run Linux.  The 'cron' program schedules commands to run. 

The player is called mpg123 so running the command 'mpg123 -vC /home/music/bellaudio.mp3' would play and mp3 in the the /home/music directory called bellaudio

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:03:23 AM »

Here are my thoughts:

So I am searching...

Thanks!
Jerome may have PM'd you too, but I'm going to take partial credit for this, as the above was my suggested gear list. :)

Don Williamson

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »

My mistake... Credit goes to Tom for the specs...I had just glanced at the last PM I received

Don

Jerome may have PM'd you too, but I'm going to take partial credit for this, as the above was my suggested gear list. :)

Don Williamson

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 11:42:12 PM »

My solution in action...

Using windows scheduler to schedule the bells by time. Tested with a laptop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v86warqg4ezzguq/Bells.mp4?dl=0

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »

One of my church customers has this program called "Churchbells" running on an old windows computer with roughly the same amp/speaker set you're proposing. It's shareware with a $35 forever license and allows for all sorts of scheduling options. Plus the sounds that I heard are beautiful:

http://inspiredcode.net/CBells.htm

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 09:58:39 AM »

Here are my thoughts:

. . .

Thanks!

Get everything from Atlas. You will be happier.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Zombie
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »

Get everything from Atlas. You will be happier.

Read the date...

ProSoundWeb Community

Zombie
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.