Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Poor man's carillon for a farm.

(1/2) > >>

Don Williamson:
I am looking for some help here and hope this is an acceptable post for this area.

My brother is looking to build a bell tower on top of a barn on his farm and would like to have a carillon system install that plays bell music. While he cannot afford an expensive church system, he has asked if I would help him find a cheap way to do this.

I would think that something as simple as a Raspberry Pi (miniature PC) would do the trick, with the 'Church Bell' software installed, an amplifier and a couple of speakers.

I really have no idea on an amplifier or speaker size to get. (Maybe some horn speakers?)

He is not looking to shake the neighbors up a mile away, but loud enough to be heard 1,000 feet or so, with a tone\quality like that of a church bell system

Any help on this would be appreciated.

D. Williamson
Chester, VA

Lee Douglas:
Would that be 1000' in all directions or is one general direction (ie: towards the house) acceptable for this application?

Don Williamson:
I think we decided in 2 directions. The barn is to the right of the house and back a ways. The road is parallel to the barn and the house. So, we are thinking one speaker aimed at the road and another aim to the left at 90 degrees ( if facing the front of the barn ).

I have been talking in PM's here with Jerome Malsack who has helped me figure out what I think I am going to do.. to a degree.

Here are my thoughts:

Amp  - JBL CSA2120 2x120 Watt Power Amplifier
Speakers - 2 - Atlas Sound DR-32 95 Uniform Coverage Horns
Drivers - 2 - Atlas Sound PD60A 60W Compression Drivers

I have MP3s I think can use to generate the bells. The only remaining pieces are the PC items.
Jerome mentioned that the Amp has no fan, which in a barn would be good. Barns tend to be dusty and a fan would likely suck in a lot of dust.

So, the same being said for the PC.. I was thinking a bout using a Raspberry Pi for the PC part. If I could find the software for it that would allow me to schedule the MP3s by time, that would be great.

So I am searching...

Any suggestions on this plan so far?

Thanks!

--- Quote from: Lee Douglas on May 24, 2017, 02:33:22 PM ---Would that be 1000' in all directions or is one general direction (ie: towards the house) acceptable for this application?

--- End quote ---

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Don Williamson on May 25, 2017, 12:00:20 AM ---I think we decided in 2 directions. The barn is to the right of the house and back a ways. The road is parallel to the barn and the house. So, we are thinking one speaker aimed at the road and another aim to the left at 90 degrees ( if facing the front of the barn ).

I have been talking in PM's here with Jerome Malsack who has helped me figure out what I think I am going to do.. to a degree.

Here are my thoughts:

I have MP3s I think can use to generate the bells. The only remaining pieces are the PC items.
Jerome mentioned that the Amp has no fan, which in a barn would be good. Barns tend to be dusty and a fan would likely suck in a lot of dust.

So, the same being said for the PC.. I was thinking a bout using a Raspberry Pi for the PC part. If I could find the software for it that would allow me to schedule the MP3s by time, that would be great.

So I am searching...

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

raspberry pi's run Linux.  The 'cron' program schedules commands to run. 

The player is called mpg123 so running the command 'mpg123 -vC /home/music/bellaudio.mp3' would play and mp3 in the the /home/music directory called bellaudio

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: Don Williamson on May 25, 2017, 12:00:20 AM ---I think we decided in 2 directions. The barn is to the right of the house and back a ways. The road is parallel to the barn and the house. So, we are thinking one speaker aimed at the road and another aim to the left at 90 degrees ( if facing the front of the barn ).

Here are my thoughts:

So I am searching...

Thanks!

--- End quote ---
Jerome may have PM'd you too, but I'm going to take partial credit for this, as the above was my suggested gear list. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version