ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound Flashline coax wedges  (Read 17142 times)

Mike Sullivan

Turbosound Flashline coax wedges
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:26:32 AM »

Anyone heard the Turbosound Flashline coaxial monitors?  Comes in both 15" and 12" variants, "1100 watt" amplifier (I know, Behringer watts, probably something like 550w RMS if I had to guess), and around $749 street for the 12" model.  Only thing I don't like seeing so far is the lack of Powercon but is given for the price point.  Similar look to the dB Technologies Flexsys FM12, but a little narrower & deeper, and around 37lbs so not bad weight wise.  Would like to take a listen to these and see how they perform, I'd like a nice compact coax monitor for the low level shows I do (bar shows, small festival non-national work, etc)

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Turbosound/FLASHLINE-MONITORS/TFX122M-AN/p/P0BMU

EDIT: After a bit more looking around, there seem to be two variants of each size. One version of the 12's is 1100 watts with an IEC connector for $749, and another version is 2500 watts with Powercon connectors and is $1799 street.  Makes me wonder...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:37:33 AM by Mike Sullivan »
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Turbosound Flashline coax wedges
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »

Anyone heard the Turbosound Flashline coaxial monitors?  Comes in both 15" and 12" variants, "1100 watt" amplifier (I know, Behringer watts, probably something like 550w RMS if I had to guess), and around $749 street for the 12" model.  Only thing I don't like seeing so far is the lack of Powercon but is given for the price point.  Similar look to the dB Technologies Flexsys FM12, but a little narrower & deeper, and around 37lbs so not bad weight wise.  Would like to take a listen to these and see how they perform, I'd like a nice compact coax monitor for the low level shows I do (bar shows, small festival non-national work, etc)

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Turbosound/FLASHLINE-MONITORS/TFX122M-AN/p/P0BMU

EDIT: After a bit more looking around, there seem to be two variants of each size. One version of the 12's is 1100 watts with an IEC connector for $749, and another version is 2500 watts with Powercon connectors and is $1799 street.  Makes me wonder...

Here's my reply from another thread:

I'm just a bar band guy, and haven't performed with a lot of touring level equipment. That being said, the 12" version of the Flashline Monitor - TFX122M-AN, is the best wedge I've ever stood behind. I've only run vocals and acoustic guitar through them. Super clean and intelligible. Will get stupid loud. Can't wait to play on that rig again.

They are also the most expensive wedge I've ever used as well. I wish I could afford them. If I can't have my ears in, I want one of these in front of me.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:50:55 AM »

I'm just a bar band guy, and haven't performed with a lot of touring level equipment. That being said, the 12" version of the Flashline Monitor - TFX122M-AN, is the best wedge I've ever stood behind. I've only run vocals and acoustic guitar through them. Super clean and intelligible. Will get stupid loud. Can't wait to play on that rig again.

They are also the most expensive wedge I've ever used as well. I wish I could afford them. If I can't have my ears in, I want one of these in front of me.

I can't find actual specs on Turbo's website for comparison of level and frequency response capability. 
At the price you have listed I'd also give the Martin CDD-LIVE12 a listen.  Self powered, built in DSP, and should be a similar sort of street price.  I also much prefer the DD horn pattern for most monitor uses. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »

I can't find actual specs on Turbo's website for comparison of level and frequency response capability. 
At the price you have listed I'd also give the Martin CDD-LIVE12 a listen.  Self powered, built in DSP, and should be a similar sort of street price.  I also much prefer the DD horn pattern for most monitor uses. 

Lee

Thank you Lee.

I can't find any meaningful specs on the TFM122M-AN either. I just know it sounded really good to me.

What do you prefer about the Differential Dispersion horn? This is a new thing to me.

That little 8" looks like a nice micro wedge option for vocals only. https://martin-audio.com/products/loudspeakers/cdd-live8

Edited to add: Mike Sullivan, you should check pricing with Mike Pyle. I know he quoted me pricing on Turbosound iQ series that is way below any advertised pricing on the net.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:31:59 AM by David Winners »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »

Thank you Lee.

I can't find any meaningful specs on the TFM122M-AN either. I just know it sounded really good to me.

What do you prefer about the Differential Dispersion horn? This is a new thing to me.

That little 8" looks like a nice micro wedge option for vocals only. https://martin-audio.com/products/loudspeakers/cdd-live8

Edited to add: Mike Sullivan, you should check pricing with Mike Pyle. I know he quoted me pricing on Turbosound iQ series that is way below any advertised pricing on the net.

The DD design gives a tapered coverage pattern to the HF which does a couple of things.  It makes the area right above the wedge wide enough for a performer to move around in a bit without having to add a second wedge which would significantly compromise sound quality and create changing quality as the performer moves. 
It also, as the performer moves back away from the wedge, keeps the HF level more constant so, depending on the performer, you may be able to keep monitor levels lower as a performer moves away from the monitor.

I also like it quite a bit as a smaller mains cabinet because it really helps to keep HF off of the back wall and create a big wide HF coverage for the front rows.  The highest SPL is not vertically half-way through the horn pattern, it is about 5 degrees down from the top of the horn pattern.  From there it tapers through an additional 55 degrees of vertical coverage while also changing its horizontal coverage from about 60 degrees at the top of the horn to 100 degrees at the bottom of the horn.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:20:24 AM »

The DD design gives a tapered coverage pattern to the HF which does a couple of things.  It makes the area right above the wedge wide enough for a performer to move around in a bit without having to add a second wedge which would significantly compromise sound quality and create changing quality as the performer moves. 
It also, as the performer moves back away from the wedge, keeps the HF level more constant so, depending on the performer, you may be able to keep monitor levels lower as a performer moves away from the monitor.

I also like it quite a bit as a smaller mains cabinet because it really helps to keep HF off of the back wall and create a big wide HF coverage for the front rows.  The highest SPL is not vertically half-way through the horn pattern, it is about 5 degrees down from the top of the horn pattern.  From there it tapers through an additional 55 degrees of vertical coverage while also changing its horizontal coverage from about 60 degrees at the top of the horn to 100 degrees at the bottom of the horn.

Lee

This sounds like a nice solution for monitors and FOH, especially if you are spread out. There would potentially be better coverage right in front of the stage while not introducing as much comb filtering as a typical 90 deg box. Looks like they are just south of $2000 a piece street price. Dante networking is included though. It's out of my current league. I would have a hard time getting any ROI out of a box that expensive, but things are looking better all the time.

Thanks for the suggestion and explanation Lee.

Sorry for the thread hijack Mike.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:20:42 AM »

Have heard the CCD stuff and it truly is good, sound about the same as D&B, Meyer, L'Acoustics. Whether it gets much louder I couldn't say for certain.

Unfortunately the company that distributes Martin here sells snake oil so even if they are telling me the truth I tend to not trust them.

Not sure how much worse back wall reflections will be with the DD horn, I would think a standard horn would do better when aimed correctly.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »

Have heard the CCD stuff and it truly is good, sound about the same as D&B, Meyer, L'Acoustics. Whether it gets much louder I couldn't say for certain.

Unfortunately the company that distributes Martin here sells snake oil so even if they are telling me the truth I tend to not trust them.

Not sure how much worse back wall reflections will be with the DD horn, I would think a standard horn would do better when aimed correctly.

Just for clarity, CDD and CDD-LIVE are different animals.  They do use the same design approach to coverage but that is where the similarity ends. 

CDD is full range passive, built for installs.  No pole mount, no handles, terminal block input, can't be bi-amped.  They do have rigging fittings and many mount options.  They can be ordered IP rated (24 I think).

CDD-LIVE is self-powered and has built in, user accessible fully programmable DSP, the are internally bi-amp only.  They have pole sockets, rigging fittings, many mounting options, DANTE and analogue input capability, TRUE1 power connection, and can also be had IP rated.

I would not expect back wall reflections to be significantly different than any other monitor with a 60 degree vertical coverage.  The biggest difference is that the highest SPL from the HF horn is achieved in monitor configuration about 5 degrees up from the bottom of the horn pattern rather than at the mid point of the pattern.  This has a tendency to allow running the monitors at a lower overall level (not always taken advantage of by the monitor mixer/ band) which could help reflections.  Still, only in ears will really get rid of them.

Sorry to hear that the distributor where you are has a less than stellar reputation.  The manufacturer has always been very good to deal with for us. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »

If you're looking for a coax self powerd wedge, take a look at EAW RSX12M.

I have a pair on demo, they sound good and have an impressive amount of GBF on vocals.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:59 PM »

Thanks for the response, at least yours was relevant to the product in question.  Do you know if yours was the lower level 1100w box, or the higher end 2500w box?  I'm thinking about replacing my ART 312a's for them, if I can find a place to demo.  Trying to go smaller if I can.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.