ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded from Kilomax 18s to THmini15s  (Read 3256 times)

Greg_Bell

Upgraded from Kilomax 18s to THmini15s
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:33 AM »

Maybe I should start a new thread, but let me state that I bought two Danley THmini15s.

At 100 lbs each, they're unsurpassed in the paperweight category.  They don't go as low as 18" subs, but these ought to go a lot louder than my current subs.

Danley turned me on to a whole new way of measuring power.  You guys have probably known this forever.  Anyway, I got a wave generator app for my phone.  Set it for a 60 HZ sine wave.  Set channel trim for unity.  Pushed fader to unity.  Pushed sub feed fader to unity.  Selected 200VAC range on the meter.  Set Crown XTi6k Ch 1 to -3 dB limiting to achieve +-70 volts at the speaker outputs.
Set Ch 2 at -6 dB limiting  (50 volts) for the old pair of 18"s.

I've got the 24dB slope crossover set for 50 to 110.  I may experiment with that.

I've upgraded my tops to Yamaha DSR 115s.  I think this is going to be a really nice system

Anyway, I know I got 99% recommendations to buy powered subs, but I couldn't get it out of my head that passive was viable, and these 15s are pretty cool.  Very limited testing indicates that the 15s don't go as low as my 18s, but the 15s are quite relaxed at levels where my 18s are fighting for their life.  The 15s strike me as very "hi fi".

As Ivan touches on in his post (I'm editing this to add a few points), SPACE is my limiting factor.  I have a very small 4x6 trailer, and these 15s are going to make packing so much easier.  With the 18s, it really came down to less than 1/2" whether the door/ramp was going to shut.  I'll be able to make better weight distribution as well.  I could never find a powered 18 with the right footprint.

More to come following my first outdoor gig 6/17.  Just checked the calendar, and I've got five outdoor gigs this month.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:46:41 PM by Greg_Bell »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Re: Did it take me 30 minutes to break my Kilomax 18"s?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »

Maybe I should start a new thread, but let me state that I bought two Danley THmini15s.

At 100 lbs each, they're unsurpassed in the paperweight category.  They don't go as low as 18" subs, but these ought to go a lot louder than my current subs.

Danley turned me on to a whole new way of measuring power.  You guys have probably known this forever.  Anyway, I got a wave generator app for my phone.  Set it for a 60 HZ sine wave.  Set channel trim for unity.  Pushed fader to unity.  Pushed sub feed fader to unity.  Set Crown XTi6k Ch 1 to -3 dB limiting to achieve +-70 volts at the speaker outputs.
Set Ch 2 at -6 dB limiting  (50 volts) for the old pair of 18"s.

Anyway, I know I got 99% recommendations to buy powered subs, but I couldn't get it out of my head that passive was viable, and these 15s are pretty cool.  Very limited testing indicates that the 15s don't go as low as my 18s, but the 15s are quite relaxed at levels where my 18s are fighting for their life.  The 15s strike me as very "hi fi".

More to come following my first outdoor gig 6/17.
Everything is a trade off.  And it is not always in just speaker size.

There are other tapped horns with 15" that go much lower than the Th mini 15s.

But in this case there were a couple of "design goals.

We gave up freq extension in order to keep the size down.

The width was actually determined by the height of a typical "medium" sized pickup truck bed.

So that it could be layed down and a cover put over the bed.

It had to be easily moveable by one person and not take up much floor space in a typical bar gig situation.

So rather than give up output for extension, extension was given up for output above 50Hz where most people are happy.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Did it take me 30 minutes to break my Kilomax 18"s?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »

You should have since this has nothing to do with the 2 year old topic you continued, so I did it for you. You can edit the title to match what you want to discuss.

Mac

Greg_Bell

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »

You should have since this has nothing to do with the 2 year old topic you continued, so I did it for you. You can edit the title to match what you want to discuss.

Mac

Aww, c'mon now, I need to be reminded every single day that I blew up those 18s muy pronto because I didn't start here first!!  ;D  It really has taken two years to get here.

Greg_Bell

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »

One other unexpected bit.  I was a little worried about stability with the DRS115s on 24" poles.  I got one up by my myself, which is challenging unless you're over seven feet tall, and stood back and looked.

I gave it a nudge.  Nothing.  Gave it a push.  Nothing.  I think I may dent the pole before I get this thing to wobble.

Someone casually bumping into this and knocking it over is not going to happen.  A linebacker hitting it in a full-speed blitz?  Yeah, that might do it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.