ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend some horn loaded long throw boxes  (Read 29454 times)

Dave Guilford

Recommend some horn loaded long throw boxes
« on: May 22, 2017, 01:50:37 PM »

Naturally I'm familiar with the KF series because there's a ton of it in my part of the country. What else is out there? There's one local dude who uses community SLS960 boxes that I've worked with her once or twice, but I never really checked their  intelligibility at a distance. 

Let's say the length of a football field is my goal. What's out there, new or used?   Bonus points if boxes are less than 120 pounds. 

Events such as "picnic in the park" which is put on by the bank and is free downtown on Tuesdays. That style event   

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Recommend some horn loaded long throw boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »

Naturally I'm familiar with the KF series because there's a ton of it in my part of the country. What else is out there? There's one local dude who uses community SLS960 boxes that I've worked with her once or twice, but I never really checked their  intelligibility at a distance. 

Let's say the length of a football field is my goal. What's out there, new or used?   Bonus points if boxes are less than 120 pounds. 

Events such as "picnic in the park" which is put on by the bank and is free downtown on Tuesdays. That style event   

You need to define your goal in terms of more than just distance.  A more practical goal needs to take into account SPL over the desired area, width, power requirements and deployment options...for a start.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »

The inverse square law is not your friend here.  How high can you get the speakers in the air?

Working backwards, how loud will it be @ 30ft in order to have 80dB :A: at 300 ft?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Guilford

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »

You need to define your goal in terms of more than just distance.  A more practical goal needs to take into account SPL over the desired area, width, power requirements and deployment options...for a start.

With all due respect, I believe I gave a pretty accurate description of the event.  Perhaps you didn't read the full posts?  Or perhaps you dont have any boxes to suggest?   

To review - it's a "party in the park" type thing.  I'm sure you've been to one or even worked one.  There's nothing weird or unusual about it.  I also even mentioned a specific box style.  I'm simply looking for similar options, which I may not be familiar with. 

I will take into account the deployment suggestion because I didn't mention that.  It'll be ground stacked. 

So let's try this again.  Suggestions for top boxes which are horn loaded or can give intelligabilty at a distance?

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »

...So let's try this again.  Suggestions for top boxes which are horn loaded or can give intelligabilty at a distance?

The T24N is a very clean and coherent point-source. It weighs in at only 72 pounds. I've demo'ed it and I think that it has better transient response than the KF's.

http://www.twaudio.de/en/product/t-series/t24n-the-neoclassic/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:20:24 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Rick Powell

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »

With all due respect, I believe I gave a pretty accurate description of the event.  Perhaps you didn't read the full posts?  Or perhaps you dont have any boxes to suggest?   

To review - it's a "party in the park" type thing.  I'm sure you've been to one or even worked one.  There's nothing weird or unusual about it.  I also even mentioned a specific box style.  I'm simply looking for similar options, which I may not be familiar with. 

I will take into account the deployment suggestion because I didn't mention that.  It'll be ground stacked. 

So let's try this again.  Suggestions for top boxes which are horn loaded or can give intelligabilty at a distance?
I had a Danley SH50 for a while, and it seemed to be very intelligible at a distance (it's 140 feet from my garage to the end of the driveway and I demo'ed it at that distance). Not the loudest speaker of that size, but very hi-fi. And the weight was right in that 120 lb. range that you mentioned. I agree that in order to skin this cat you would do best to figure out the SPL and coverage area you need at your outer limits, and see if you can live with how loud it would necessarily be in the vicinity of the speaker to hit that mark...or consider a different approach like a delayed reinforcement.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:29:48 PM by Rick Powell »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »

... Let's say the length of a football field is my goal. What's out there, new or used?   

This is what you gave, so general as to be vague.  Yes, we've all done stuff like this...IN GENERAL...so any advice will cover the "general" nature.

As far as 300' and ground stacking...unless the ground at the front is high enough so your speakers will be at least 12' above the closest listeners, you're pretty much SOOL with even horn-loaded cabs. 

Cut that distance in half and it'll be more real-world.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »

...Cut that distance in half and it'll be more real-world.

But, what if the wind is blowing down field? :D
Member since 2005.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »

I think you,need to discuss in terms of frequency response expected and at what level.

If you can't objectively quantify your goals then at least state the genre.  The lower in frequency you want to go will define the choices.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Guilford

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:18 PM »

Just looking for ideas.  I'm happy to look up specs for boxes where I lack familiarity.

I currently have (4) Srx725 boxes over (4) srx728 subs.  Just worried that the sound will lack detail beyond 125ft ish.   I haven't had a Chance to use all 4 tops at once - usually it's 2 smaller systems. 

As for quantifying - it doesn't need to be balls loud 250ft away. Just has to be heard clearly.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.