ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet over power  (Read 4778 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Ethernet over power
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not currently experiencing any Wi-Fi difficulty. I use a dual band WAP that I get up high for good LOS and don't broadcast SSID. Not looking to solve any problems. Just looking for information that may come in handy if a problem arises.

I always have a wired laptop for backup.

Scott, do you have a particular WAP you like? I use an ASUS AC1900. It would be nice to have something rack mounted with external antennae, or a small AP that I could get up high and connect to a rack mount router and feed with PoE.

So many ways to skin a cat...

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »

If you have any surge supressor or power filter you may have trouble with connecting the Ethernet over power. 

richard_cooper

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »

Has anyone used ethernet over power to connect a laptop and/or control surface to the mixer? It seems like a more reliable connection than Wi-FI for a dedicated FOH position.

I got a couple (Netgear) to, temporarily, solve a problem at home getting network to a device without wifi. They worked OK but did apparently loose connection from time to time. Once I'd run a proper cable, I took them in to work (a theatre) to have a play. They worked, just, up until the lighting rig was powered up, and then I never got it to connect. Something about a couple of 100KW of dimmed loads to mess it up. Base on my experience I'd avoid like the plague in a performance venue.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »

I got a couple (Netgear) to, temporarily, solve a problem at home getting network to a device without wifi. They worked OK but did apparently loose connection from time to time. Once I'd run a proper cable, I took them in to work (a theatre) to have a play. They worked, just, up until the lighting rig was powered up, and then I never got it to connect. Something about a couple of 100KW of dimmed loads to mess it up. Base on my experience I'd avoid like the plague in a performance venue.

Thank you. It makes sense that using an unknown infrastructure that is not designed for quality signal transmission could lead to unreliable results. Any number of things could pollute the signal path and degrade performance.

I really appreciate the input. It's helping to put things in perspective.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.