ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer - yes - Behringer. XR mixer  (Read 24841 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Behringer - yes - Behringer. XR mixer
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »

So, I have had a problem with being able to pull the trigger on Behringer stuff for a long time. Years ago I used to own one of the early Euro amps which was fantastic - reliable and powerful but over the years since then I had lost respect for the company regarding their policies and the utter 'cheapness' of their products. I do own a P1 monitor amp which has been good too although the door doesn't close well ( that 'cheap' thing again)
However, it seems over recent years according to comments made by folks I respect on this forum that Behringer has come a long way when it comes to mixers and some other peripheral products (not including speakers necessarily in this comment)

Anyway, I have been taking both my QU16 and QU Pac to shows - I always take them both -one as back-up, and I tend to use the QU PAC these days more and more. This means I am bringing a quite heavy 16 channel mixer with me as back -up ( I know this might sound silly compared to years ago but I'm all about weight and space these days) and I wanted to get something smaller and lighter if possible.
Originally,  I purchased the QU PAC as my back up to the QU16 - for me this was a no- brainer partly because I have had great experiences with A & H but also because I already owned the QU16 and the 2 are virtually interchangeable at a show. The QU PAC has a screen and in a pinch I could mix with it without the faders if wi-fi was an issue.
The SB would be the obvious choice but I didn't want to spend $1k on a QU SB and I took a fancy to the Behringer XR18. I also wanted to broaden my horizons - keep the old gray matter busy.

Bit different for me - eh??..... Anyway, I ordered one through Mike and it arrives next week.
I have been playing with the app. Not bad..... and I can get around it pretty easily I suppose but I have to say it is not as easy to work out as my QU app was. I'm getting it though bit by bit.
I figure if I set scenes up at home to match what I usually use on the QU, I should be up and running OK.

The one thing that is frustrating is that there isn't an iPad app for monitors - just android.... so I lose that BUT it is only back -up after all - right?.. I could just have the guys upload the mixing app and block out the areas they don't need by choosing the 'guided access feature' so no accidents happen. I will probably use it for rehearsal to keep practiced on the app otherwise if I do need to use it at a show, I'll have forgotten by then.  I'll also use my Airport Express as the reports on the built in 2.4ghz WAP  are not encouraging.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lofgren

Re: Behringer - yes - Behringer. XR mixer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »

The xr18 is a great product but consider the internal wifi for basic usage and use a proper wifi router for critical work.

The mr18 was just released and is close in price to the xr18. Other than very quiet midas preamps and outputs it does not have the two Hi-z inputs.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »

I had one of the Behringer X-Air mixers here and I did a direct a/b with my QU-PAC. I found the mic pres were noticeably noisier at the same settings. I also much prefer the sound of the fx and the workflow of the QU-Pad app.
I'm also considering getting a backup mixer and am interested in the Midas MR18, Soundcraft UI24R and Allen & Heath QU-SB.
The Midas MR18 is the most affordable of them and has better preamps and converters which makes it quite tempting. The Soundcraft UI24R also looks very interesting but is heavier than the QU16! I may end up just getting the QU-SB as I'm so familiar with it and like the sound of it! Saying that, the Midas MR12 would almost be enough to cover an emergency gig without the QU-PAC as I generally use 5 XLR mic inputs and 5 monitor mixes. I could do away with one XLR mic input and two monitor mixes would be adequate to get through the gig!
I've also tried the QSC Touchmix 8 and I really like that mixer! I was put off by the large clumsy power supply and lack of digital snake connection, proper gain control and recallable mic preamps. If QSC were to bring out a v2 of the Touchmix with these features added I'd be seriously tempted to pick one of those up! I'll probably wait and see if the Midas MR18 or QU-SB comes up at a bargain secondhand price and go with whatever is the best deal.

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »

I've been working trying to learn the X32-Mix app, and I absolutely hate it. I also hate the workflow on the board itself. A club I work has a compact, and they want me to use it, but I've pretty much decided I will plugging in my Mackie DL board at every show. Good luck with the x18 and keep us advised.

Ryan Trefethen

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

There is an x32 monitor app just on the iPhone that is essentially for guys to create their own mix. Is this what you are looking for here. Not sure if it also exists for the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan Trefethen

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »

The xr18 is a great product but consider the internal wifi for basic usage and use a proper wifi router for critical work.

The mr18 was just released and is close in price to the xr18. Other than very quiet midas preamps and outputs it does not have the two Hi-z inputs.

Of course quiet pre amps are preferable but I am not too worried for a  back up mixer.... in a pinch - right?  ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »

I had one of the Behringer X-Air mixers here and I did a direct a/b with my QU-PAC. I found the mic pres were noticeably noisier at the same settings. I also much prefer the sound of the fx and the workflow of the QU-Pad app.
I'm also considering getting a backup mixer and am interested in the Midas MR18, Soundcraft UI24R and Allen & Heath QU-SB.
The Midas MR18 is the most affordable of them and has better preamps and converters which makes it quite tempting. The Soundcraft UI24R also looks very interesting but is heavier than the QU16! I may end up just getting the QU-SB as I'm so familiar with it and like the sound of it! Saying that, the Midas MR12 would almost be enough to cover an emergency gig without the QU-PAC as I generally use 5 XLR mic inputs and 5 monitor mixes. I could do away with one XLR mic input and two monitor mixes would be adequate to get through the gig!
I've also tried the QSC Touchmix 8 and I really like that mixer! I was put off by the large clumsy power supply and lack of digital snake connection, proper gain control and recallable mic preamps. If QSC were to bring out a v2 of the Touchmix with these features added I'd be seriously tempted to pick one of those up! I'll probably wait and see if the Midas MR18 or QU-SB comes up at a bargain secondhand price and go with whatever is the best deal.

I hope I won't regret my decision but I really didn't want to spend $900 on a mixer. As it is, I have the 2 QU's, the D Snake to increase channels on the QU Pac, I have a Peavey analog 10 channel and a small Peavey 6 channel so I couldn't justify the expense. This seemed the best bang for me right now.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »

I've been working trying to learn the X32-Mix app, and I absolutely hate it. I also hate the workflow on the board itself. A club I work has a compact, and they want me to use it, but I've pretty much decided I will plugging in my Mackie DL board at every show. Good luck with the x18 and keep us advised.
Mmmmm... don't say that Steve!!!... I want to like the app and I kinda do - kinda..... it reminds me a little of the Mixing Station app I have on my Samsung tablet for the QU.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »

Mmmmm... don't say that Steve!!!... I want to like the app and I kinda do - kinda..... it reminds me a little of the Mixing Station app I have on my Samsung tablet for the QU.

I use the X-Air Edit app on laptop and Mixing Station Pro on android. I find the workflow great, but I don't have much to compare it to. I'm not a FruitCo user. You can limit users to their bus when they connect to the mixer with the Android apps. There is also an X-Air Q android app specifically for monitor mixing.

I like the idea of using it at practice to stay familiar. If I remember correctly, they are all on ears, so it should be pretty simple to get them dialed in and save a scene. Then, if you need to deploy the mixer as a back up, you would be mostly there without too much trouble.

In an emergency situation, I would just mix monitors from FOH without trying to get everyone connected anyways. There are a couple bands I provide for that would rather I handle their ears, and I just walk up a couple times a set with my tablet and adjust things as necessary.

I have a bunch of gigs on the XR18. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »

I use the X-Air Edit app on laptop and Mixing Station Pro on android. I find the workflow great, but I don't have much to compare it to. I'm not a FruitCo user. You can limit users to their bus when they connect to the mixer with the Android apps. There is also an X-Air Q android app specifically for monitor mixing.

I like the idea of using it at practice to stay familiar. If I remember correctly, they are all on ears, so it should be pretty simple to get them dialed in and save a scene. Then, if you need to deploy the mixer as a back up, you would be mostly there without too much trouble.

In an emergency situation, I would just mix monitors from FOH without trying to get everyone connected anyways. There are a couple bands I provide for that would rather I handle their ears, and I just walk up a couple times a set with my tablet and adjust things as necessary.

I have a bunch of gigs on the XR18. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks David - good to know and I appreciate the offer of help if needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.