ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless IEM with wireless insturment or mic  (Read 5280 times)

Jerome Malsack

Wireless IEM with wireless insturment or mic
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »

I saw this today and wanted to know what the community think and if some one has tried them.   

http://www.widigitalsystems.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=110_133&product_id=88

Yes it is 2.4 and  199 price.   100 ft operating range but that depends on location and conflicts.   

Was looking to use with Behringer x32 rack and ipad to allow for the IEM and talkback. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:45:13 PM by Jerome Malsack »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Wireless IEM with wireless insturment or mic
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »

I saw this today and wanted to know what the community think and if some one has tried them.   

http://www.widigitalsystems.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=110_133&product_id=88

Yes it is 2.4 and  199 price.   100 ft operating range but that depends on location and conflicts.   

Was looking to use with Behringer x32 rack and ipad to allow for the IEM and talkback.

Wireless digital IEM is always about LATENCY.  And i see no specification on this as to what kind of latency it has.  IEM users can be thrown off by extremely low amounts of latency, especially singers.  Some performers can't even deal with the signal path going through a digital mixer.

I also hate using 2.4G gear as it always works great at sound check when the room is empty and then fails during the show when the room is full.  But your mileage may vary.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:31:52 AM »

If you're going to go digital wireless, get something from the Line6 Relay or XDv series.  There's a reason those units are $200 IMHO.  Not to mention the pure overload of 2.4GHz networks everywhere you go will surely mess with it majorly.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:48:24 AM »

If you're going to go digital wireless, get something from the Line6 Relay or XDv series.  There's a reason those units are $200 IMHO.  Not to mention the pure overload of 2.4GHz networks everywhere you go will surely mess with it majorly.
Line6 gear is in the 2.4 GHz range also.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »

Line6 gear is in the 2.4 GHz range also.

I've yet to do a job with Line6 2.4 and not have it snap crackle and pop!

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:35:42 AM »

Wireless digital IEM is always about LATENCY. 

It would be good to find out the latency, I agree. However what is the wireless for, a guitar player or a singer?  Often instrument players want 5-10 ms of delay in their mixes to simulate the normal distance from their amps.

Latency up to 5ms (and for most as much as 30ms) is certainly acceptable to singers, especially if they don't know its there!  If they know that there is, "LATENCY" they might complain since it has gotten a bad rap.

for more Latency info:  https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/30323/when-does-audio-latency-matter-and-not-matter

On the other hand I NEVER recommend anything in 2.4... its too susceptible to audience cellphones pinging away to find wifi.

The newest crop of IEMs from Lectrosonics are amazing.  Connected via Dante the latency is 1ms.  Analog only 1.5.  Connecting digitally eliminates any output latency of the console as well.  Use a mic which is also Dante and total latency is probably way below 5 ms.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:40:46 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »

I've never had such issues and I've used it with up to 12 channels.

I've yet to do a job with Line6 2.4 and not have it snap crackle and pop!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

Latency up to 5ms (and for most as much as 30ms) is certainly acceptable to singers, especially if they don't know its there!
If you consider that the singer will hear their own voice through bone conductivity and the occlusion effect, combined with the delayed signal from the IEM, they could very well hear some kind of comb filtering effect at certain delay times.
Sub 30 ms? I can't say but I would not rule it out.
Instruments, not so much.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »

There are many reasons that consumer grade stuff is a heck of a lot cheaper than pro grade.  Sometimes consumer grade stuff can get the job done, but eventually, the shortcomings become apparent.

For using as a talkback and mix monitor for an iPad mixed scenario, it's probably going to do fine.  When it decides to fail, that's not a showstopper moment.

I did try once using 2.4ghz headphones when mixing on an iPad.  Worked great during setup.  Worked great during practice.  Didn't work at all once the room was full.  Worked fine again once everyone left. :/
Brian Jojade

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »

If you consider that the singer will hear their own voice through bone conductivity and the occlusion effect, combined with the delayed signal from the IEM, they could very well hear some kind of comb filtering effect at certain delay times.
Sub 30 ms? I can't say but I would not rule it out.
Instruments, not so much.

This is the issue.  And it is noticeable at remarkably low latency.

When i was singing with IEMs every week i found i had an easier time actually ADDING some latency to my vocal mic [i added it at the channel strip] to get the weird comb filtering into a less troublesome frequency range.  That and a bit more vocal level did the trick.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.