ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ~$15k - 4k Wishing List  (Read 9937 times)

jabney (john abney)

~$15k - 4k Wishing List
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:36:02 AM »

Just starting with video on our own. We are fine with the sound. Now, our venue could use some cameras, etc. And the cameras should be run by one person if necessary. I have looked at the specifications for several PTZ cameras, but to go beyond 2 megapixels or so seem to start costing real money. So what about something like this:

3x JVC GY-LS300 4K S35mm  - $2,600.00 x3
3x lenses (decent - but not for making major movies - 50mm - $500 x3)
3x Wild Shot Camera CPT 1019 Pan Tilt System - $850 x3
1x Roland V-1SDI 4-Channel HD Video Switcher - $1500
1x Blackmagic Web Presenter ($500) and Teranex Mini Smart Panel ($85)
Plus some cables and a couple of displays and computers.

The 3 JVC 4k cameras and its lenses would be run by remote, and the Pan Tilt would be run by remote as well.

This wouldn't be full 4k, but it would be a start - I think. (Unfortunately, SDI for these particular items don't carry 4k, right?) Should that system work together? What would you add or replace?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: ~$15k - 4k Wishing List
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:23:12 AM »

Just starting with video on our own. We are fine with the sound. Now, our venue could use some cameras, etc. And the cameras should be run by one person if necessary. I have looked at the specifications for several PTZ cameras, but to go beyond 2 megapixels or so seem to start costing real money. So what about something like this:

The 3 JVC 4k cameras and its lenses would be run by remote, and the Pan Tilt would be run by remote as well.

This wouldn't be full 4k, but it would be a start - I think. (Unfortunately, SDI for these particular items don't carry 4k, right?) Should that system work together? What would you add or replace?

I would go with the Blackmagic ATEM 4k - It has 6G-SDI that can even do 4k raw bitrates.  Get a nice multipoint touchscreen to control it with and another for your cue monitor.

What is your 4k display/projector ?  Streaming 4k is huge $$$
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »

I would go with the Blackmagic ATEM 4k - It has 6G-SDI that can even do 4k raw bitrates.  Get a nice multipoint touchscreen to control it with and another for your cue monitor.

What is your 4k display/projector ?  Streaming 4k is huge $$$

Thanks Scott! The Blackmagic ATEM 4k seems to be a good choice - especially with the included software. At $1700, with XLRs-In and a built in display and 4k, that would be a smart upgrade over the Roland - assuming that particular Blackmagic item behaves. The Roland seems simple, but the Blackmagic ATEM 4k seems only a little more complicated. (Unlike the complicated JVCs - but installed out of reach, those should be OK too.)

4k projector? I wish. The venue just installed a power screen, so our local eyeballs need to get used to that first.

Again, thanks.

Chris Edwards

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »

Why not the Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD vs the Roland?

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:02:10 AM »

Why not the Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD vs the Roland?
Why the Roland? The T-Fader on the Roland (or whatever it's called).

The Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD looks nice, but it doesn't have a T-Fader. And while the Blackmagic ATEM 4k doesn't have a T-Fader either, it does have 4k. And 4k trumps a T-Fader - so I've read. Also, I understand that the Roland and the Blackmagic ATEM 4k can each coordinate multiple sources without having an additional genlock; while I couldn't find any reassuring language about that feature with the Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD.

Having run into that problem with a Matrox MXO2 (no available tri-sync), it seems like a video system has many choices but only one or two correct choices. With audio, you just need to choose between 48k or 44.1k (for us), avoid red LEDs most of the time, and do it with audience-friendly taste. Video, though, is a world of its own, so whoever operates whatever we wind up with will have to learn a lot. That's why if I can run an understandable video rig, then the other qualified volunteers and staff can do it as well.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 01:51:05 AM »

Why the Roland? The T-Fader on the Roland (or whatever it's called).

The Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD looks nice, but it doesn't have a T-Fader. And while the Blackmagic ATEM 4k doesn't have a T-Fader either, it does have 4k. And 4k trumps a T-Fader - so I've read. Also, I understand that the Roland and the Blackmagic ATEM 4k can each coordinate multiple sources without having an additional genlock; while I couldn't find any reassuring language about that feature with the Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD.

Having run into that problem with a Matrox MXO2 (no available tri-sync), it seems like a video system has many choices but only one or two correct choices. With audio, you just need to choose between 48k or 44.1k (for us), avoid red LEDs most of the time, and do it with audience-friendly taste. Video, though, is a world of its own, so whoever operates whatever we wind up with will have to learn a lot. That's why if I can run an understandable video rig, then the other qualified volunteers and staff can do it as well.

The only difference between the 4k and the HD is the bandwidth on the bus .  The software is the same.

If you noted I said get a 14" or larger multi-touch screen.  The giant t-bar on the screen works great.

The HD sync's on all the sources, has seamless transition, internal storage for images and two static image players, tons of transition effects, foreground, background and chroma keyers.  It's an incredible value.

If you don't have a 4k display I don't understand the fixation on switching 4k.  What does it get you?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 04:22:45 AM »

The only difference between the 4k and the HD is the bandwidth on the bus .  The software is the same.

If you noted I said get a 14" or larger multi-touch screen.  The giant t-bar on the screen works great.

The HD sync's on all the sources, has seamless transition, internal storage for images and two static image players, tons of transition effects, foreground, background and chroma keyers.  It's an incredible value.

If you don't have a 4k display I don't understand the fixation on switching 4k.  What does it get you?

4k video is the future - so the articles say; that means somebody at some point will complain if it's not there. So $700 to add 4k is probably worth it.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:42:49 AM »

You'd be better off ignoring 4K and buying higher quality HD gear.  Broadcast standard is still 1080i.  You don't need the extra pixels and no one is sitting close enough to the screen to notice the difference.  The only place where there could be an exception is a virtual pastor shot on a really big screen.  For that you'd need a 4K streaming setup and projection. 

You've been caught up in the 4K hype.  Time to get deprogrammed and get out of the cult.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:58:41 AM »

You'd be better off ignoring 4K and buying higher quality HD gear.  Broadcast standard is still 1080i.  You don't need the extra pixels and no one is sitting close enough to the screen to notice the difference.  The only place where there could be an exception is a virtual pastor shot on a really big screen.  For that you'd need a 4K streaming setup and projection. 

You've been caught up in the 4K hype.  Time to get deprogrammed and get out of the cult.

exactly.  1080p is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »

The Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD looks nice, but it doesn't have a T-Fader.
I have found a manual wipe handle to be useful about 10% of the time when a special long fade is required.  For normal switching, a button with variable fade time is much more useful as it allows your fades to be consistent.  I would not base a purchasing decision on this feature if it were me.

Note that BlackMagic just came out with the ATEM Television Pro Studio HD (scroll down):

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemtelevisionstudiohd

This does have a physical fader.

I agree with the other posters - 4K isn't going to be practical for 10 years, and even the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 is rarely perceived in a live situation with projectors.  I would not make a purchase decision based on needing 4K anything.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.