ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bill Hanley Interview  (Read 8321 times)

Larry Robbins

Bill Hanley Interview
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »

This is a roadie free radio  interview with Bill and  John Kane who has been documenting his work.
https://youtu.be/Lrqx1Achomo
Retired, went sailing, went broke, worked in Miami while living aboard, sold boat, bought house where family is (Redding CA). Bought a Motorhome to explore in covid isolation.  Making a nice music-media center out of dinette...off to the boonies as the smoke clears.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Bill Hanley Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »

This is a roadie free radio  interview with Bill and  John Kane who has been documenting his work.
https://youtu.be/Lrqx1Achomo

Awesome!

I have met Bill a few times. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:41:12 PM »

Many people today have no idea how hard it was to put together a system back in those days.

It is VERY easy these days, with much better tools.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:34:12 AM »

The Balaroo skating rink was very popular, and very old. It's where my parents first met, and where we used to skate in the early 60's, and I remember the organ well.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »

Many people today have no idea how hard it was to put together a system back in those days.

It is VERY easy these days, with much better tools.

Some of us are old enough to remember though I had never heard the term "footlight" monitor before I listened to the interview.

To me Prism was the turning point where you could spec an arena touring grade system and buy into the business.  Before that providers differentiated themselves with their systems.

Pay to play is a new concept.  You do still need skill and experience to operate it.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »

Some of us are old enough to remember though I had never heard the term "footlight" monitor before I listened to the interview.
To me Prism was the turning point where you could spec an arena touring grade system and buy into the business.  Before that providers differentiated themselves with their systems.

Pay to play is a new concept.  You do still need skill and experience to operate it.
Scott,

Funny how popular footlights were, and then seemed to almost vanish from rock and roll once “footlight monitors” took up all the down stage real estate. With in ear monitors more popular, footlights are making there way back.

By the mid 1980’s there were a variety of viable “pay to play” systems available from EAW, JBL, Martin, Meyers, Turbosound, and some others capable of arena touring, though the largest national touring companies  were still using their own proprietary systems.

Don't know if by "Prism" you are referring to ShowCo’s Prism systems, but as far as I know they were proprietary cabinets owned only by ShowCo until Clair bought ShowCo around the turn of last century. At that time Clair had recently developed their own line arrays, and were phasing out of the “S4 era” that had lasted from the 1970s, as the “Line Array Era” ushered in in 1992 by L’ Acoustic’s VDosc systems had already took hold big time along with the preponderance of ever increasing video production.

The 1986+ era Prism systems were the first large scale vertically rigged systems using a variety of different, but same size cabinet types to result in a scalable, more uniform vertical array dispersion with enough horsepower to cover stadiums.

Art

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »

Scott,

Funny how popular footlights were, and then seemed to almost vanish from rock and roll once “footlight monitors” took up all the down stage real estate. With in ear monitors more popular, footlights are making there way back.

By the mid 1980’s there were a variety of viable “pay to play” systems available from EAW, JBL, Martin, Meyers, Turbosound, and some others capable of arena touring, though the largest national touring companies  were still using their own proprietary systems.

Don't know if by "Prism" you are referring to ShowCo’s Prism systems, but as far as I know they were proprietary cabinets owned only by ShowCo until Clair bought ShowCo around the turn of last century. At that time Clair had recently developed their own line arrays, and were phasing out of the “S4 era” that had lasted from the 1970s, as the “Line Array Era” ushered in in 1992 by L’ Acoustic’s VDosc systems had already took hold big time along with the preponderance of ever increasing video production.

The 1986+ era Prism systems were the first large scale vertically rigged systems using a variety of different, but same size cabinet types to result in a scalable, more uniform vertical array dispersion with enough horsepower to cover stadiums.

Art

Yes, I should have been more specific and mentioned the Showco boxes.  I thought they sold them to other providers.  I was very young, impressionable and probably inebriated in the mid 80's.  The first time I heard/saw the boxes was for ZZ Top's Eliminator show.  That would have been more like 84.

In an odd turn of events I ended up meeting JC  last year, ZZ Top's engineer in that era (early 80's) while he was out with another artist.  Thankfully he remembered the tour and had some great stories from the Showco hay days.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:13:00 PM by Scott Holtzman »

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »

Yes, I should have been more specific and mentioned the Showco boxes.  I thought they sold them to other providers.  I was very young, impressionable and probably inebriated in the mid 80's.  The first time I heard/saw the boxes was for ZZ Top's Eliminator show.  That would have been more like 84.

Well, if you ever get nostalgic, here you go!

https://clairusedgear.com/collections/speaker-cabinets/products/showco-prism-blue

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:51 AM »

Well, if you ever get nostalgic, here you go!

https://clairusedgear.com/collections/speaker-cabinets/products/showco-prism-blue

Dave

I think I would be divorced if I bought those.  The multipin's on the back of the cabinets would not survive two riggings with my current crew.  How many tons of cable did you have to carry on a large deployment?

On the good side Clair understands their market.  Thanks for the web link as they have t-shirts in fat guy sizes.  I ordered one!

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.