ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Thomann/Soundking DM20  (Read 33167 times)

richard_cooper

Thomann/Soundking DM20
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »

So for a while I've been looking for a mixer in a form factor that doesn't seem to exist. That is namely a small desktop mixer like there are so many analogue examples from all the major manufacturers, but a fully featured digital with scene recall, and real faders. Something like a QSC TM16, but with recallable preamps and faders, preferable motorised. Long story exactly what my use is, and probably too much of a niche market.

A couple of days ago I noticed THIS on Thomann's site. I'd normally ignore such a thing, but I've had some seriously good luck with some of their own brand products. A bit of digging reveals it is a rebadged SOUNDKING product. THIS VIDEO implies that it was, at least in part, developed by the Cadac guys who did the CDC consoles. There is an iOS app for it that seems OK in demo mode, nothing special but looks useable. There is also a stage box version like the Qu-SB that doesn't interest me, but could be interesting depending on price.

Before I take the risk on one, has anyone come across one in real life and/or have any thoughts to give? Or any other products that compete with this?

Mark Amber

Re: Thomann/Soundking DM20
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »

This is not a niche thing. It's the clear obvious best design for corporate AV

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TomBoisseau

SKP D-Touch 20 / Soundking DM20
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »

Well... I just bought the SKP D-Touch 20 (what appears to be the US release of the Soundking DM20).  I've only had it a few days, but my initial impressions (given it's size and price) are positive.  I will likely use it for small corporate events and small webcasts.  It has 12 mic inputs, with 4 of them being combo 1/4" & XLR, 2 stereo inputs on L/R 1/4", as well as SPDIF in/out and AES out.  In addition the unit will playback and record to a thumb drive.  They have an ipad app as well, which seems to work well, howbeit the range is somewhat limited using the included "dongle". 

Every input has recallable trims, gate, compressor, delay, high pass filter, and a 4 band eq with variable frequency and "Q".  It has 4 mono busses (1-4), 4 stereo busses (5-8), and left/right bus.

The busses also have the same eq, gate, compressor and delay.  Additionally mono busses 1-4 can be sent to the stereo busses 5-8.  Any of the busses and be assigned to any of the 8 XLR outputs. 

So, is this a "high end" unit?  No!  It kind of reminds me of a version 1 or 2 QSC TouchMix, but with faders.  Actually, it will do things the original TouchMix would not!  However compared to the current version of the TouchMix, the TouchMix does more.  All that being said, to have faders, and in a nice small form factor (it's bulk is probably about 1/3 to 1/4 that of my Yamaha 01v96i), I'm going to be able to make this work. It measures about 16 3/4" x 13 1/4" x 2 3/4".

If your interested, it's being sold on only Amazon and ebay.

I'll post an update as I get a chance to use it more.

Tom

This demo is for the Soundking DM20, but it seems identical to the SKP D-Touch 20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqX3URhho8&t=2s

The SKP D-Touch 20 can be purchased on Amazon or eBay:
https://www.amazon.com/SKP-Pro-Audio-Touchscreen-20-Inputs/dp/B074HR19H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503698255&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=d-touch+20&psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKP-Pro-Audio-D-Touch-20-Digital-Mixing-Console-Touchscreen-WiFi-20Inputs-15Buse/172805211031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

D-Touch 20 iPad App:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skp-d-touch-20/id1227302566?mt=8

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:09:30 AM by TomBoisseau »

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:40:06 PM »

TomBoisseau

SKP D-Touch 20 / Soundking DM20
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »

Here is another similar option:

http://www.studiomaster.com/product-view/digilive16-16-input-16-bus/141/

I did consider the StudioMaster, however the SKP D-Touch 20 won out due largely to recallable head amps, which the StudioMaster does NOT have,  and availability here in the USA.

Tom

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:17:17 AM by TomBoisseau »

Alfredo Prada

Re: SKP D-Touch 20 / Soundking DM20
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »

I did consider the StudioMaster, however the SKP D-Touch 20 won out due largely to recallable head amps, which the StudioMaster does NOT have,  and availability here in the USA.

Tom

Does the D Touch have 31 band graphics? I understand the Studiomaster only have 15  band Graphic eq.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »

Does the D Touch have 31 band graphics? I understand the Studiomaster only have 15  band Graphic eq.
I would just like to question why you want a graphic of any sort with parametric on every output? Haven't actually used a graphic since working on digital consoles...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »

I would just like to question why you want a graphic of any sort with parametric on every output? Haven't actually used a graphic since working on digital consoles...
Lots of corporate shows,lavs,goosenecks on close proximity of pa or house speakers. Actually auto feedback detectors would be better/ faster.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »

Lots of corporate shows,lavs,goosenecks on close proximity of pa or house speakers. Actually auto feedback detectors would be better/ faster.

Makes sense, so it's more of a # of bands thing than an actual need for a graphic...

This mixer looks really good for those kind of events though but would need to find out by one of the guys that has one.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

TomBoisseau

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

The D-Touch only has 2, "HALF octave" graphic eq's (so just 15 bands).  I do wish it had more, but I think you have to view this "form factor" as a series of compromises.  Considering what you get for the size and price, it's not bad!

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.