ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendation for WAP  (Read 12248 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: recommendation for WAP
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:06:18 PM »

Yes. That's correct.
Your post comes under the "should work" answer.

Which is why I gave the tried-and-true answer first.

That being said, this forum has a habit of pushing its posters to think/do outside of the boundaries of their original post.

Here's the exact list of what we're using where.
3x M7's WPN824NA, and WNR3500L N300
3x TF5  ASUS RT-ACRH13, UAP-AC-PRO-US
xr18 TL-WR841N
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »

Ubiquiti UAPOUTDOOR+US Unifi UAP-Outdoor+ Wireless Access Point 802.11 B/G/N
by Ubiquiti Networks
Link: http://a.co/idJbY29

This is what I use too. I use a velcro strap to mount it on a spare mic stand up high. The setup wasn't completely automatic but it was much easier than what I read over on the Bullet thread.

The UAP-AC-Pro that Scott mentioned is a good option too. The form factor just isn't as nice for mounting on something portable.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »

You would not need the router for this application.  The 2.4Ghz only for the LR stuff is a non-starter.  We must use 5Ghz hence the interest in the bullet.

All that being said the Unifi UAP-AC-PRO is very solid and a real 802.3af powered device.
Why is 2.4 out of question? Unless you tell (more work) the AP to separate the 2.4/5 it will put the device on whichever band works best.

5.0 has LESS distance (all else being equal). Using 5.0 is for congested environments.

I did say get the AC variant so that you have the option of 2.4 and 5.0

I also disagree about the router not needed. I'd say many issues comes from trying to get AP's to work is because there isn't a router doing the decision making. Static IP's help even more.

No, I don't know much about networking. But what I do know is what I do WORKS every time (AP + router + device)

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »

I used (and still sometimes use) the venerable Linksys WRT-54GS. Flashed it with DD-WRT firmware so I could up the TX power to max. 100% reliable, works for a pretty good distance as long as the building isn't too crowded. (it's 2.4g only).

I upgraded to the Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 last year because I wanted a good 5GHZ AP with lots of range. Other than the baffling fact that you cannot use this device "out of the box" - it requires (to my non-IT brain) detailed and confusing configuration settings to be set before it actually works with your devices, since then it's been working great.

As you know, I use mostly Yamaha consoles.

Oh, I also have a tiny portable Linksys WRT-54GC which is great to throw in your carry-on. Works great for wireless access when you don't need to get further than the edge of the stage.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:21:24 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »

Using 5.0 is for congested environments.

Exactly!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »

Which is why I gave the tried-and-true answer first.

That being said, this forum has a habit of pushing its posters to think/do outside of the boundaries of their original post.

Here's the exact list of what we're using where.
3x M7's WPN824NA, and WNR3500L N300
3x TF5  ASUS RT-ACRH13, UAP-AC-PRO-US
xr18 TL-WR841N
Now THAT's what I call a specific answer  :D

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »

Other than the baffling fact that you cannot use this device "out of the box" - it requires (to my non-IT brain) detailed and confusing configuration settings to be set before it actually works with your devices,
I think I have had enough of on the  Ubiquity product. ;)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »

retracted
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:33:09 PM by Keith Broughton »

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »

Yes. That's correct.
Your post comes under the "should work" answer.
Hi Keith,

As you likely remember from previous posts, my Ubiquiti bullet M5 works for us and has since I installed it.

I configured and tested the backup M5 that I bought, and it worked as well.

I don't understand why the brand of IP addressable mixer connected to the router would make any difference, so I've likely missed something.

With that said, I completely understand your frustration and your reaction - especially with Ubiquiti gear. Doc is minimal, and I don't want to go to a user group to get simple doc/operational questions answered.

I tried installing a couple of their PicoStations at home for APs -weird results then failure, then couldn't correctly upgrade firmware, etc.

Fortunately, I could return to Amazon, but, if not, it would've been the trash bin for those...

I am completely with you; Stuff has to work as configured every time or else it is useless junk.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »

I used (and still sometimes use) the venerable Linksys WRT-54GS.

Same here! :D Mine has the antenna chewed on (I think previous owner had a dog), I throw it on stage and run a cat5 to the board and to the xilica. Boom, instant network!
It's bogging down with 10 iThingies on it though :( so that's why I'm upgrading.

I did look up the N600 and I can get my hands on one locally. Thanks for that. :)

The whole camera install was the "it should work" reference. Not exactly console control.
I have had enough "out of the box" thinking with the Ubiquity product  ::)

No worries, and I get that. And you did state "No Maybes." Sorry if I jumped the gun a bit.

I was mainly trying to detail how it is streaming a constant 25Mbps with peaks around 50Mbps 24/7 with zero issues. And the minimal traffic that our controller apps contribute to a network wouldn't phase the setup. The setup was also painless (and I'm no IT guy).

That M5 Bullet thread...I agree that's confusing and painful, I wouldn't want to even try making that work.

Heck recently, they had to unplug everything (N600 + OutdoorAP + modem) to paint and I just plugged it all back in and without having to reconfigure any settings or login at all it all just 'worked' (It helped that I set static IP for the AP).

Anyways, sorry to de-rail your thread.

Hopefully the other answers help out.

Netgear all the way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.