ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Portable System for School  (Read 8417 times)

Stephen Snipes

New Portable System for School
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »

So I recently took the position as the Assistant Director of Audio Visual & Technical Services at UNCC and one of my goals within the next two years (year really) is to purchase a system that can be used for our outdoor events as well as be brought inside for other events in our 340 (Multi Purpose Room)  I tried to get the dimensions of our 340 Room but apparently we don't have an accurate number.  If I had to guess based on the numbers I do have I would say it is 8,100 sq ft being 90' x 90' with around 20' ceilings.

For the outdoor concert they used 4 QSC KW 153 (2 flown, 2 on stage) and 6 QSC KW 181 somewhat center clustered.  I didn't hear the system but from having used all of the gear before I just don't see that working well for this event.  The pictures (I will have to compress and upload) show an idea of how big of an area needs to be covered.  My first thought was to use a JBL VRX rig with a hang of 4 on each side and then 6 - 8 of the subs.  The system needs to be fairly compact as we don't have much storage space from what I am finding out.  We have lifts and truss to hang when needed so that part is covered.  While I don't have a budget yet I'm guessing they want to stay around $20K - $25k which I don't think the full system will fall into but that is fine because we have the subs but definitely need different tops for these events and then we can phase the subs in.

Any help would be be helpful.

Here go the pics:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:43:28 PM by Stephen Snipes »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: New Portable System for School
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »

So I recently took the position as the Assistant Director of Audio Visual & Technical Services at UNCC and one of my goals within the next two years (year really) is to purchase a system that can be used for our outdoor events as well as be brought inside for other events in our 340 (Multi Purpose Room)  I tried to get the dimensions of our 340 Room but apparently we don't have an accurate number.  If I had to guess based on the numbers I do have I would say it is 8,100 sq ft being 90' x 90' with around 20' ceilings.

For the outdoor concert they used 4 QSC KW 153 (2 flown, 2 on stage) and 6 QSC KW 181 somewhat center clustered.  I didn't hear the system but from having used all of the gear before I just don't see that working well for this event.  The pictures (I will have to compress and upload) show an idea of how big of an area needs to be covered.  My first thought was to use a JBL VRX rig with a hang of 4 on each side and then 6 - 8 of the subs.  The system needs to be fairly compact as we don't have much storage space from what I am finding out.  We have lifts and truss to hang when needed so that part is covered.  While I don't have a budget yet I'm guessing they want to stay around $20K - $25k which I don't think the full system will fall into but that is fine because we have the subs but definitely need different tops for these events and then we can phase the subs in.

Any help would be be helpful.

Can you give us an idea of the actual layout?
Where is the audience?
Where is the stage?
What are the flying options and locations?

What SPL level would you like to be able to achieve?
Over what frequency range?

Would having an IP rating be of value for the outdoor needs?

The more detail the better we can help.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »

Often, the area to be covered does not need the same SPL everywhere.

Depending (thinking of you, Ivan) on the type of event, only the first 50-75' from the stage needs pretty good volume. The rest of the area only needs to hear the stage.

If you want rock & roll levels outside for a large area, that PA isn't likely a good choice for your indoor room.

How often is the outside gig?
How often is the indoor gig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Snipes

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »

I actually haven't been apart of the events yet so not really sure of too much as of yet.  What I do know is that the gear they have been using is the gear that was purchased for our indoor events that just need a DJ for a couple of hours for the students.  Sound quality and SPL aren't nesscerialy a high priority so much as the overall function & portability are.  The system will be used outdoors maybe 2 or 3 times a year.  Main reason I also considered VRX or KLA is the fact when doing some of the smaller outdoor events 2 tops a side could be used.  Since it is a college campus events take place all over campus and needs to be versatile and very portable.  We do about 4000 events a year and while all don't need speakers, at least a 1/4 of them do.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »

Fewer than 6x/year...HIRE IT IN.

Have someone in the Economics Department explain it to you...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:09:29 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »

I do some municipal events for an area that size with a pair of DSR112s on stands and 4 Cubo Subs.  The folks up front dance and get into it and the people in back sit and enjoy the music.

There's an outdoor video that's been posted a number of times with a pair of Danley SM80s over 4 of the TH118s that is my next level reference for expanding to events as large as I want to take on.  And if you don't need rock and roll levels 100+ feet out, would probably work for you.

Having heard the KLAs trying to do rock and roll in a mid sized club they would be a non-starter for me.  I've only heard the VRX as out fills and they had that typical JBL 'in your face' sound to me.  I'd much prefer an appropriate SRX set up.

But it really depends on the SPL expectations.  You probably should talk to the outdoor event organizers as well as anyone in nearby buildings who would have high SPL issues to see what's appropriate.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »

Fewer than 6x/year...HIRE IT IN.

This is great advice.  By renting you take out all storage/upkeep costs.  Plus you can get new equipment if you decide to use something else.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Jain John

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »

I think 2x jbl srx 835p on top of 2x jbl srx 828 per side may be enough.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 07:31:10 PM »

The area shown in the photo could easily be covered by a pair of DSR112s and plenty subs.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

kel mcguire

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »

That's not a huge crowd and that system is more than enough for that outdoor job. I can't imagine the tops had much intelligibility spread apart like that, both vertically and upstage/downstage. That's just giving away performance.

I can't imagine Six KW 181 not being enough for a couple hundred people also.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.