ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Only dmx Controller  (Read 4905 times)

Steve Garris

Android Only dmx Controller
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »

I've given up on my idea of dmx on the same iPad that I mix with. So now I'm looking at a small, android tablet with lighting software. I've done a little searching, but haven't found much yet. The goal is a simple lighting program with scenes and fade rate, to be run by the android tablet only - no pc. Anyone know of a program?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Android Only dmx Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »

I've given up on my idea of dmx on the same iPad that I mix with. So now I'm looking at a small, android tablet with lighting software. I've done a little searching, but haven't found much yet. The goal is a simple lighting program with scenes and fade rate, to be run by the android tablet only - no pc. Anyone know of a program?

Sorry Steve... iPad user here with Luminair. The system has been fantastic. I always use separate iPads - one for sound and one for lights. Unless you are against using an ipad, you can pick up a refurbished one pretty cheap through Apple with good long warranty.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »

Sorry Steve... iPad user here with Luminair. The system has been fantastic. I always use separate iPads - one for sound and one for lights. Unless you are against using an ipad, you can pick up a refurbished one pretty cheap through Apple with good long warranty.

Perhaps I can find a mini. I need to strap it to my arm. The android's are so cheap! I did just purchase a new iPad, but haven't put it to use yet for mixing.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »

Perhaps I can find a mini. I need to strap it to my arm. The android's are so cheap! I did just purchase a new iPad, but haven't put it to use yet for mixing.

The androids are cheap I agree BUT I can honestly say that my iPads for sound and lights have been 100% reliable for years. My Samsung tablet still loses connection once in a while if I choose to use it instead of my iPad (for sound).
I also use a mini for lights and the cases I have both my iPad mini and iPad standard in have straps that I can put my hand through for ease of use whilst walking around.
I use my little home made stand for both at shows....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »

The androids are cheap I agree BUT I can honestly say that my iPads for sound and lights have been 100% reliable for years.

I second this.  I was forced to bite the bullet and buy an iPad for my A&H Qu-Pac.  While I didn't care for the high price of the 12.9" iPad Pro that I eventually settled on, I haven't regretted the purchase for one second.  It's rock solid and gets the job done.  I've had no trouble driving the rig via wifi from over 200ft away outdoors.  Not to derail your request any further, but have you also considered a small "puck" computer with a tablet for remote control?  Can a Windows 10 tablet fit the bill for both?  I know - more questions that answers, but hope some of this helps drive your decision making process!

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »

I second this.  I was forced to bite the bullet and buy an iPad for my A&H Qu-Pac.  While I didn't care for the high price of the 12.9" iPad Pro that I eventually settled on, I haven't regretted the purchase for one second.  It's rock solid and gets the job done.  I've had no trouble driving the rig via wifi from over 200ft away outdoors.  Not to derail your request any further, but have you also considered a small "puck" computer with a tablet for remote control?  Can a Windows 10 tablet fit the bill for both?  I know - more questions that answers, but hope some of this helps drive your decision making process!

I'm trying to keep it super simple, so I don't want to be bringing a PC. The Windows tablets are nice, but if I'm going to spend on that, then I might as well get another iPad. And I agree with both of you on the iPad's stability. I was introduced to Apple when I purchased my Mackie DL 5 years ago, and I love their tablets.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 10:58:15 AM »

I'm trying to keep it super simple, so I don't want to be bringing a PC. The Windows tablets are nice, but if I'm going to spend on that, then I might as well get another iPad. And I agree with both of you on the iPad's stability. I was introduced to Apple when I purchased my Mackie DL 5 years ago, and I love their tablets.

I'm definitely not an Apple fanboy, but I do have a few Ipads.
I buy them new, but a couple of versions old on ebay.  Way cheaper than current hardware.  Work perfectly.

The other advantage of having a second Ipad, is it can be a spare for mixing if #1 fails, runs out of battery or walks away.
You can duplicate all your apps over both.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 10:59:57 AM »

Hey Debbie, are you on Luminair 3 or 4? 
I'm trying to decide if subscribing has any advantages.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 11:08:27 AM »

Hey Debbie, are you on Luminair 3 or 4? 
I'm trying to decide if subscribing has any advantages.
Hey Dave..... I have continued to use V3 this whole time and the way I have things set up, I see no benefit (for myself) to paying $10 month for basically the same service - the extras that come with V4 do not interest me although I would understand others feeling differently. I do have to make sure I keep 'auto update' turned off on my iPads (got caught once before and had to restore an earlier saved iPad memory from Time Machine).

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:43:47 AM »

Hey Dave..... I have continued to use V3 this whole time and the way I have things set up, I see no benefit (for myself) to paying $10 month for basically the same service - the extras that come with V4 do not interest me although I would understand others feeling differently. I do have to make sure I keep 'auto update' turned off on my iPads (got caught once before and had to restore an earlier saved iPad memory from Time Machine).

Yeah, I got screwed with that. I (unknowingly) updated to Version 4 and now I am locked out unless I subscribe...(those rat bastards). I only used Ver. 3  for a handful of simple lighting scenes, so it's not worth it to me to subscribe. Now I am looking for an alternative app that's free.
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:43:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.