ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo PS15 EQ for dance music  (Read 38028 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Nexo PS15 EQ for dance music
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 06:14:40 AM »

Well i've listened to these videos on youtube below which made the PS15 cabs sound bad :

But also here people say they're harsh and also not good for dance music
All I can say is that you can't rely on a YouTube clip to tell you anything about sound quality.

And, while the internet can be a great source of information, it can also be a great source of crap information.  And DJ forums have never been at the more reliable end in my opinion.

There's also quite the potential for people to have experienced poor quality from Nexo gear either not using the designated controller, using speakers with replaced non-Nexo drivers, and driving it with "poor" over-EQd source.  And you'll never know.

While it can be hard to find demo gear (a standard challenge in the low/mid range), you really owe it to yourself to hear before you buy.  At the very least, don't buy remotely without a demo - a 100 mile, say, round trip could be worth its weight in gold.  And any serious seller with nothing to hide should be happy to demo the gear they're selling.  As you're after used mk1 speakers, it's even more important that you see/hear before you buy, to eliminate trashed/poorly repaired gear.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 06:19:17 AM »

If you're thinking seriously about buying some of these, it's well worth spending some money and having them for an extended demo.

FWIW I'm not familiar with any of the tracks playing, but they all sounded like any issues could be down to the room, the program material (some of which seemed quite badly recorded IMO), and the camera used. Difficult to seperate those and say it's definitely the speaker's fault.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »

I've just spoken to people who play dance music and have some PS15 cabs or had some and they said for techno, drum & bass and general dance music the PS15 aren't a very good speaker but for live band music they're excellent these people basically said.
I would seriously question when somebody says a speaker is good for one type of music and not another.

I would ask the SPECIFICALLY what is it and do they have any proof.

For example.  You say it has a big hole in the middle of the response.

How could that possibly be good for live music-that relies on vocal clarity-which is in the middle of the response?

It doesn't make sense.

There are MANY MANY people out there with LOTS of opinions, and they simply do not have a clue what they are doing-or how to run a system or manage to screw up a perfectly good system.

Unless you have specifics-(yes measured results are a VERY GOOD starting point), I take what people say with a "grain of salt".

Very often comment on system that they hear (and others are running).

The speakers get blamed-but in many/most cases it it either the operator or the person who setup/aligned the system who is to blame.

Unless YOU know how the system was setup/run, the bad sound could be any number of things other than the speakers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

RichardStringer

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »

If you're thinking seriously about buying some of these, it's well worth spending some money and having them for an extended demo.

FWIW I'm not familiar with any of the tracks playing, but they all sounded like any issues could be down to the room, the program material (some of which seemed quite badly recorded IMO), and the camera used. Difficult to seperate those and say it's definitely the speaker's fault.

Chris

You can't do that here in the UK, you either hire them out (like I say the nearest place is 220 miles there and back and I have no car) or you buy some used and take your chances. I know in the USA you can put some money down and demo them at your home but here in the UK you can't unless you pay full price and even then you're not allowed by law your money back if you don't like them unless there's a defect with one or both of them.

RichardStringer

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 07:58:40 AM »

I would seriously question when somebody says a speaker is good for one type of music and not another.

The speakers get blamed-but in many/most cases it it either the operator or the person who setup/aligned the system who is to blame.

Unless YOU know how the system was setup/run, the bad sound could be any number of things other than the speakers.

Yeah I would of thought the same, if a person has a decent set of speaker cabs and they've set them up properly then all styles of music should to some degree sound good on them especially considering the music styles have most likely been produced in proper recording studios and been endorsed as being high quality enough for commercial release. I was thinking that myself but then with so many people saying dance music is shite on the PS15 cabs I thought maybe i'm missing something with my initial analysis about all music sounding good on a good pair of speakers.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 09:05:26 AM »

You can't do that here in the UK, you either hire them out (like I say the nearest place is 220 miles there and back and I have no car) or you buy some used and take your chances. I know in the USA you can put some money down and demo them at your home but here in the UK you can't unless you pay full price and even then you're not allowed by law your money back if you don't like them unless there's a defect with one or both of them.

I'm in the UK, too.
I was suggesting you hire them for a day or two and see what you think.

Yes, it might be a couple of hundred pounds to do, but when you're spending this sort of money on the final product I think it's worth doing.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

RichardStringer

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »

The only problem is I haven't got any transport though so i'd have to hire a car which costs £200 deposit and then £20 per day to hire the car and then about £80 in petrol to get to the hire place and back, then on top of that the cost to hire the speaker cabs out and also another load for the deposit which hire places charge. But if the only time the hire place could hire them to me is on a weekend then it'd cost me £100 from Friday to Monday to hire the car instead of £20.

If I do get a pair of Nexo PS15 cabs i'll be buying a used pair and they're available here in the UK for about £950-£1,100 a pair used.

Robert Healey

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »

If I do get a pair of Nexo PS15 cabs i'll be buying a used pair and they're available here in the UK for about £950-£1,100 a pair used.

The PS15 is a professional quality speaker, on the high end of the market. I think it sounds pretty good (with the controller), but more importantly, lots of sound companies make lots of money with the PS15. The question is - is this purchase because you're in this for the hobby, or for the money? Your customers will probably like the PS15 just as much as any other high end speaker. A pair of PS15s with a controller is a safe choice for a higher end DJ.

If you are searching for the perfect speaker for yourself (as a hobby - I am guilty of this with my personal rig), then you need to hear it in person, and set it up in person, and play your own source tracks. Do not trust youtube videos or random internet guy's opinion of a speaker. Who knows what their set-up is, or what awful EQ they applied, or if they have the processor in the signal chain, or even if their ears are still attached to their head.

Of course, you can always buy them and sell them if you don't like the sound. This typically ends up with an empty wallet and large collection of gear you don't need or use in a storage room...

RichardStringer

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »

It's a kind of hobby, I used to do parties at village halls but now i've got the chance to hold parties in a small club/wine bar and i'm taking my four Wharfedale Delta 218B dual 18" subs and need some mid/highs capable of keeping up with the four subs if the need comes to run them full blast. It usually is full blast because it's more of a small rave than a standard wine bar kind of night. The owner has had a Turbosound rig in there before and told me I can bring whatever system I want.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

It's a kind of hobby, I used to do parties at village halls but now i've got the chance to hold parties in a small club/wine bar and i'm taking my four Wharfedale Delta 218B dual 18" subs and need some mid/highs capable of keeping up with the four subs if the need comes to run them full blast. It usually is full blast because it's more of a small rave than a standard wine bar kind of night. The owner has had a Turbosound rig in there before and told me I can bring whatever system I want.
Just to get some facts straight on this loudspeaker for you Richard.
It appears with the PS 15 TDController-R2, or the NXAMP Powered
Controller these loudspeakers are very flat in frequency response through the midrange/upper midrange.
It is important that you consider purchasing a system controller for these loudspeakers to get it right.

You can view frequency response here.
https://nexo-sa.com/wp-content/uploads/PS-Datasheets-v2.pdf

By the way the NEXO loudspeaker is one of the best out there.

These are not your local music store loudspeakers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.