ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tools for managing 2.4GHz?  (Read 4881 times)

Scott Helmke

Tools for managing 2.4GHz?
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »

It's looking like ever more stuff will have to be shoe-horned into the 2.4GHz wifi range, which means needing tools to see what's going on up there.

Any suggestions for hardware/software for making sense of all the 2.4GHz activity?  Wifi channel activity, obviously, but also ways to at least visualize and measure intercom (HME & etc) traffic.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Tools for managing 2.4GHz?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »

If you're an Apple user Wifi Scanner is a nice OSX app for that sort of thing. Great graphic representation of all receivable transmitters in 2.4GHz and 5GHz ranges.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-scanner/id411680127?mt=12

(Warning, the above link might force your App Store app to open)
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:32:07 AM »

You probably want a spectrum analyser so you can see non-wifi signals.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »

We have a TTi that includes 2.4GHz, but it's just a spectrum analyzer. All the stuff in the 2.4GHz "wifi" band is also doing spread spectrum aka frequency hopping, which means needing tools that can keep track of that.

I did once see somebody using an application that showed active wifi channels, don't remember if it was Mac or Windows.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »

I like acrylicwifi.com for my laptop.

I have a couple for my android phone too.

I couldn't get my iPad the same feature as it seems the wifi is locked out to apps :(

There's also these guys:
http://nutsaboutnets.com/netsurveyorpro-performance-analyzer/
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 12:30:14 AM »

It's looking like ever more stuff will have to be shoe-horned into the 2.4GHz wifi range, which means needing tools to see what's going on up there.

Any suggestions for hardware/software for making sense of all the 2.4GHz activity?  Wifi channel activity, obviously, but also ways to at least visualize and measure intercom (HME & etc) traffic.
Hi Scott,
I run Wifi Analyzer on an Android tablet. Shows either 2.4 or 5GHz as the Nexus7 has both radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »

Hi Scott,
I run Wifi Analyzer on an Android tablet. Shows either 2.4 or 5GHz as the Nexus7 has both radios.

There are several, I grabbed the "Open Source" one. Seems to do what I want at least for starters. I'm going onsite to troubleshoot a Tempest 2400 system, guessing they've probably got too much wifi in the venue.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »

What is your application that you need to be concerned with 2.4gHz?

Manage it? Just confiscate cell phones at the door 😁

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »

What is your application that you need to be concerned with 2.4gHz?

Manage it? Just confiscate cell phones at the door 😁

A few different situations that come up, mostly me being called in to sort out wireless problems in churches or venues. Tomorrow it's a church with some Clear-Com Tempest 2400 that has gone flaky, which might be all manner of problems including too much other stuff clogging up the spectrum.

Fooling around today with that Wifi Analyzer on an Android tablet and a 2.4GHz HME system... I found that the Wifi Analyzer can't even see the HME system, it just sees access points. So I pulled out the TTi, and set it to "peak hold" to see how much space the HME was using. It's pretty obvious both tools will be needed and likely more to troubleshoot the more interesting problems.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »

A few different situations that come up, mostly me being called in to sort out wireless problems in churches or venues. Tomorrow it's a church with some Clear-Com Tempest 2400 that has gone flaky, which might be all manner of problems including too much other stuff clogging up the spectrum.

Fooling around today with that Wifi Analyzer on an Android tablet and a 2.4GHz HME system... I found that the Wifi Analyzer can't even see the HME system, it just sees access points. So I pulled out the TTi, and set it to "peak hold" to see how much space the HME was using. It's pretty obvious both tools will be needed and likely more to troubleshoot the more interesting problems.
When using wifi analyzer in 5GHz to see what my W-DMX units were doing, I also had no results. I assumed that my gear was using frequencies other than standard ones while within the 5GHz band, and that was why I didn't see anything.

Might that be the case with the HMEs?

The analyzer correctly sees all my 2.4 & 5GHz router/wifi activity at home and on the gig, so I'd love to know if that is the case.

If I get a few minutes before Saturday I might email W-DMX asking about it.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Scott Helmke

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »

When using wifi analyzer in 5GHz to see what my W-DMX units were doing, I also had no results. I assumed that my gear was using frequencies other than standard ones while within the 5GHz band, and that was why I didn't see anything.

Might that be the case with the HMEs?

The analyzer correctly sees all my 2.4 & 5GHz router/wifi activity at home and on the gig, so I'd love to know if that is the case.

Wifi Analyzer only sees official wifi traffic, which makes sense. It would be great if it could see non-wifi RF in that band, but it just not be possible to get the chipset to do that.  All of this stuff uses Spread Spectrum (aka frequency hopping) so the frequencies are constantly changing.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »

Found this with google.   good read might help.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/RC-Spread-Spectrum.html

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »

Found this with google.   good read might help.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/RC-Spread-Spectrum.html
Thanks, Jerome!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 10:12:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.