ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need headphone recomendations  (Read 11185 times)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: Need headphone recomendations
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »

Another vote for the Sennheiser HD280 Pro.  Good isolation,, comfortable, and neutral sound character.  I own a few pair and keep them scattered about in my sound guy kit.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »

I don't know what they cost where you are, but Beyerdynamic DT250 fit all of your performance criteria.

DT250 are my home listening headphones - much flatter frequency response than most headphones I've tried, including Sony, Shure, Sennheiser, etc.  But they don't fold, and for the chaos of a live gig I'd rather have something a bit more hyped in the bottom and top. Hence my suggestion for the Shure 440.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »

After 6+ years of getting shoved into backpacks, dropped on concrete and left on during shows with the monitor out turned up all the way, my Shure SRH440s still do what I need them to.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »

After 6+ years of getting shoved into backpacks, dropped on concrete and left on during shows with the monitor out turned up all the way, my Shure SRH440s still do what I need them to.

The cord is one-sided and replaceable, too.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »

https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/prodj200

I just sent in for service my set and received an upgrade from Koss.  The new 200 is just as good as the AT 50.  remove the cord or replace the cord.  mono stereo switch.  Made in Milwaukee WI. 

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »

https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/prodj200

I just sent in for service my set and received an upgrade from Koss.  The new 200 is just as good as the AT 50.  remove the cord or replace the cord.  mono stereo switch.  Made in Milwaukee WI.

But it's got "DJ" in the model number, so it must be worthless.  ;D

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »

For the OPs isolation and ambient SPL issues; another vote for the UltraPhones.  Made for rock drummers.  Although the OP may also need a better headphone amp.  Most are not intended for serious levels.  But as said, unless I'm wearing ER15 plugs under them, I don't want those kinds of levels at my ears anyway.

For my purposes, the 7506s have been fine when I need isolation.  I also have some AKG240s for when I want a mix of some ambient.  Great for tracking drums or hearing an amp tracking electric guitar.  Then as a reference to hear what things really sound like I have a pair of Grados.  But you need a quiet environment and for nobody to be bothered by the sound coming off the backs.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 08:11:41 PM »

For the OPs isolation and ambient SPL issues; another vote for the UltraPhones. 
A third vote for GK's UltraPhones. After spending literally millions of dollars on production equipment, the GK ultraphones have been my best audio investment.

My only regret is I did not purchase them sooner than I did, around 2005 IIRC. Funny, a sound engineer/bass player in Santa Fe introduced me to them, at the time I had not realized "GK" was Gordy Knutsen, a long time drummer friend from Minneapolis I'd known since the 1970's.

Gordy developed the Ultraphones after having problems with in-ear monitors becoming loose during his performances with Steve Miller, he solved the problem with the Ultraphones and gained isolation.

The isolation is so good you can hear the difference in changing drum mic angle while adjusting the mic on stage (or in studio) while the drummer is playing, while having the level at a comfortable 90 dB (or less) in the cans. The 7506 elements are loafing along at that level.

An added benefit of the larger ear chamber is increased VLF response, you can tell what's going on down low without relying on subwoofers.

I made the measurements below using the same piece of plywood with the B&K mic in a 1/2" hole, the chamber size in either case results in differing standing waves represented by the peaks and dips. In actuality, the ear's pinnea break up those standing waves, I really don't notice any upper end difference between the standard MD7506 or the Ultraphones.

Art

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 03:47:11 AM »

Those Ultraphones are cool! Think I might try and DIY some. Got some old ear defenders around here somewhere.

After trying out a few sets of cans around this pricepoint, I settled on the Shure SRH840s. A lot of reviews say they're wooly, but I've found them to be very accurate with the perfect tonal balance - many I listened to were very bass-heavy.

Chris

Edit - Just finished the DIY headphones. Old ear defenders and some Sony on-ear cans that never stayed on my head. Drilled 3 holes in the defenders, stripped the Sony ones completely (even the wires) and now my ear defenders have a 3.5mm jack port. They're slightly light on bass since the capsules are just sat between a couple of layers of foam. Isolation is something else, though.
Thanks to whoever suggested those!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:12:43 AM by Chris Grimshaw »
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »

As listed by CNET review and my favorite Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Best-sounding headphones under $200
That's what I use and would confidently recommend.
    ...db
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.