ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need headphone recomendations  (Read 11192 times)

Mark Schneider

Need headphone recomendations
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »

I currently have Sony MDR 7506 headphones, they sound fine, but I have a few issues with them, and hoping to find something that meets my needs a bit more.  Here is what I need to address:

- The Sony pair distorts when low frequencies are turned up to any higher level.  Kick drums and floor toms seem to use up the headroom in the headphones too much, and distort them too easily. 
- I use them in a louder environment, and would like a pair to have more outside sound rejection than the Sony's do.  They have too much bleed from external sounds than I would like.
- The mixer I have the Sony plugged into needs to be pushed pretty hard to get the volume needed of the Sony's.  With more external sound rejection, it may be fine, but definitely don't want a new pair to be any quieter than the Sony's.
- Good quality is a plus, definitely don't want anything cheap, looking in the $200-$300 range.

Any suggestions?

Scott Helmke

Re: Need headphone recomendations
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »

The Shure 440 headphones sound very similar to the 7506, but with a bit better isolation.  Same price point, too.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »

I currently have Sony MDR 7506 headphones, they sound fine, but I have a few issues with them, and hoping to find something that meets my needs a bit more.  Here is what I need to address:

- The Sony pair distorts when low frequencies are turned up to any higher level.  Kick drums and floor toms seem to use up the headroom in the headphones too much, and distort them too easily. 
- I use them in a louder environment, and would like a pair to have more outside sound rejection than the Sony's do.  They have too much bleed from external sounds than I would like.
- The mixer I have the Sony plugged into needs to be pushed pretty hard to get the volume needed of the Sony's.  With more external sound rejection, it may be fine, but definitely don't want a new pair to be any quieter than the Sony's.
- Good quality is a plus, definitely don't want anything cheap, looking in the $200-$300 range.

Any suggestions?
Try not to get focused on what you spend, but rather if a headphone provides the quality/solutions you are looking for.

We have several of these and are very happy with them.  They fit well and do a decent job keeping other audio out.
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-280-pro

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:38:55 PM »

As listed by CNET review and my favorite Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Best-sounding headphones under $200
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:24 PM »

I don't know what they cost where you are, but Beyerdynamic DT250 fit all of your performance criteria.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »

As listed by CNET review and my favorite Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Best-sounding headphones under $200
Of all the headphones I have used for professional monitoring, the ATH-M50x are the best bang for the buck. Can usually be had for about $130-140. Are there cans that sound better or get louder, or have lower frequency response? Sure,  but they cost alot more too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:12:01 AM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:21 AM »

Sennheiser HD280 Pro's seem to easily outlast 7506's, it is my experience and observation.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »

Any suggestions?

I swear by my UltraPhones. Sony 7506 drivers mounted into Peltor H-10 muffs.
You can't beat them in loud environments. GK Music makes them, and makes them VERY well.
29dB noise reduction, cheap replacement pads(from any safety supply place), bass much improved over stock due to the isolation of the muffs. (Keeps music in, and noise out.)
I found I could drop the headphone level quite a bit, and hear just as well. IOW, punish your ears less during a show.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »

I have been through this exact thing on several occasions.

I have my own personal preferences but so far, I have not found "One Ring to Rule Them All"

So I have way too many pairs of headphones....

I guess I will list them and their pros / cons and maybe that will help you - or not.]

Sennheiser HD600:
Open back, still made and go for silly money. Mine are around 20 years old now. Not suitable for live use whatsoever but they are the sound quality by which all others have been judged by me.

Denon AH-D2000:
I love them. I have two pairs as they aren't made any more. They were OEM’d by Fostex and they are simply stunning. Isolation is alright but not amazing.  They need looking after and don't fold flat. They sound "better" than the HD600s. I pick out more detail, ends of reverb tails etc. that I just have not heard in anything else. They are easily the best mix diagnostic tool I have come across. You can get them second hand on Ebay for not too ridiculous sums.

Sennheiser HD25-SP:
Meh. Cheap, fold flat, take a battering. Live in their back of a mixing console to lend out as a spare pair to visiting engineers.

Beyerdynamic 770M:
Boxy, muddy, muffled (by comparison) Pretty good isolation. Volume control died within 3 months and was replaced with a straight cable. They fell apart eventually.

Beyerdynamic DT150:
Sound OK. Tough as hell, currently my go with when doing monitors as the isolation is extremely good.

I have been looking for a decent sounding fold flat pair for fly gigs etc.

My two options are:

Audio Technica ATH-MX50x:
superb design! Good price. A little muddy for my tastes for FOH. They lack the analytical detail of the Denons - Don't get me wrong, they are good but they just can't show off that last level of detail as you tune a reverb tail. Build is great. Isolation is acceptable.

Ultrasone Signature Pro:
I have listened to the ENTIRE Ultrasone range. This is the only one I like. My personal preference of course. Build is amazing! They fold flat and sound superb. They are the only thing I think may be on a par / sound as good as the Denons. There is one downside - they are eye wateringly expensive. Every component is replaceable though, so spares etc. are not a problem. One day I may buy a pair, I will stick with the inconvenient size of the Denons for now.

Have fun and make sure you listen to them - the way headphones are tuned seems to really vary even inside manufacturer's own lines - more expensive is not always better.

Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »

Any suggestions?

Have you determined that the distortion isn't caused by overdriving the circuit that feeds your headphones?

That said, I've currently got a pair of Senn 280 and Shure 440.  Used a pair of Fostex T series(don't remember which one, around $100-125) for many years before that.

The 280 are my go to headphones.  Seal great with some of the best isolation I've found, and sound great.  Suspect only the Beyerdynamic stuff sounds better.

Best regards,

John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.