ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody at the Meyer demo in Sugarland TX?  (Read 3640 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Anybody at the Meyer demo in Sugarland TX?
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »

Thats my friend Walter on the drums. He is the guy who got me my current gig. You should say hi, and then critique his playing for me! Lol
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Anybody at the Meyer demo in Sugarland TX?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »

I was there yesterday. On my way home now. I'll post some thoughts after I get home.

Were you there yesterday? I was at the 11am demo....
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »

I was there yesterday. On my way home now. I'll post some thoughts after I get home.

Were you there yesterday? I was at the 11am demo....

No, I work for a living. I'm actually in San Marcos for graduation the next 3 days. Yay me.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »

No, I work for a living. I'm actually in San Marcos for graduation the next 3 days. Yay me.

Still on that gig huh. I heard they were expanding that arena. Did that ever happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 12:12:53 AM »

Still on that gig huh. I heard they were expanding that arena. Did that ever happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They are doing the dirt work right now.

Yeah. For maybe 10 work days a year, I'll hang on to this gig! Lol

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:14:14 AM »

So here's the thing about the new Lina array...

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. They were running 8 Linas and 3 of the new 750-LFC subs stacked in cardioid array per side (16 Linas and 6 750s total).

It's cool, nice and compact, pretty light, and power efficient. It was crisp and clear. And it gets loud. Really loud. I mean like really fucking, ear splittingly obnoxious loud.

I told the Meyer guys I should have brought my ear plugs. I think they thought I was joking, but I was serious. Since I work mostly in the classical music and theatre side of the business I don't get exposed to much above 95-100db, much less the 110 that they were running their stupid Infected Mushroom demo track at. And therein lies the rub.

I'm not sure what it was. If it was the tracks they were playing, or the way the system was set up, or just that I haven't trashed the high end of my hearing like most rock and roll guys have and so I'm more sensitive to the high end. But the Lina sounded somewhat harsh for my tastes. I would have to EQ some of the high end out I think. Otherwise it's like an ice pick jabbing at my ears. It actually gave me a headache right in the center of my forehead.

The 750-LFC sounded really good. Tight, clear, punchy, and not overbearing with the demos they were running the way the Linas were. I really liked the 750s.

They were also showing off the relatively new MJF-208 stage wedge which I liked. It's a good size for smaller stages and about 11 lbs lighter than the EAW SM200s that we have, in about the same size box. And it sounded really good also.

They also had a small Leopard array set up, 3 Leopards over a single 900-LFC sub. But just one stack sitting on the front of a small stage in the choir room of the church. So it wasn't the best way to get to hear a medium sized array. And all they did was push the volume to ludicrously loud volume levels. So loud that I almost had to leave the room. 

I'm hoping to get a better demo set up in Tulsa at our building later in the summer.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »

Fwiw, I haven't liked the voicing of Meyer boxes for a long time for that exact reason. They seem harsh to me. If you are looking for a system right now I'd strongly urge you to check out the Nexo STM. It's pretty amazing, with or without the low-mid boxes.

Walter, (drummer at the demo) couldn't say enough about the little monitor. He keeps telling me how punchy it is and how loud it gets.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »

Fwiw, I haven't liked the voicing of Meyer boxes for a long time for that exact reason. They seem harsh to me. If you are looking for a system right now I'd strongly urge you to check out the Nexo STM. It's pretty amazing, with or without the low-mid boxes.

Walter, (drummer at the demo) couldn't say enough about the little monitor. He keeps telling me how punchy it is and how loud it gets.

3" large format compression driver is probably not going to be warm like mylar domes!

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.