ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid/highs to use with 4 dual 18" subs  (Read 6706 times)

RichardStringer

Re: Mid/highs to use with 4 dual 18" subs
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

Considering your budget, you are going to have a hard time meeting your expectations IMO.  Big boy rigs come with big boy price tags.

Ok I guess i'm screwed then, thanks anyway.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »

I have in the past seen used Turbosound TQ440 cabs for about £1,000 do you think a pair of thoae woll be loud enough?

So much depends on your particular situation.  It's difficult to make any accurate predictions.  That said, the specs say: "Maximum SPL (peak) measured with music program at stated amplifier power shall be 137dB." , which is pretty darn loud.

Will 60 degree horizontal coverage (per cabinet) be sufficient?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »

How loud do you need it to be?  That is where you should start when finding the right tool for the job. 

I need ### db SPL @ # weighting @ ## distance.  Then you can work backwards to see if a particular speaker will work for your intended application. Then all you have to do is wade through the inflated specs on most speakers and determine how well they will actually perform in your given situation.
And when "doing the math" don't forget to add (subtract-depending on how you look at it) 15-20dB for dynamic range.

DO NOT expect a loudspeaker rated for 130dB peak @ 1M to be able to read that 130dB at 1M with music with a normal SPL meter.

With "canned music" it will typically be 10-15dB below that.  Live typically requires a wider dynamic range
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »

Some 12 inch tops with 1 inch hf can take all a Powersoft k10 can give. So dont generalize.

Yeah, you can warm your hands on cold night with them....

I'd rather have a low distortion, high efficiency loudspeaker system than a glorified space heater, but I'm kind of old fashioned that way.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

RichardStringer

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 03:38:01 AM »

And when "doing the math" don't forget to add (subtract-depending on how you look at it) 15-20dB for dynamic range.

DO NOT expect a loudspeaker rated for 130dB peak @ 1M to be able to read that 130dB at 1M with music with a normal SPL meter.

With "canned music" it will typically be 10-15dB below that.  Live typically requires a wider dynamic range

I play dance music not live music though, techno to be precise but thanks, yeah I have noticed in the past that with my old Class 2 spl meter I used to have it measured about 12-15db below what I thought it might.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 06:02:06 PM »

not to mention calculated peaks..

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »

Are those cabs loud enough then to keep up spl wise with 4 double 18" subs?

The best answer is "it depends".  I know your have already seen discussion about that. 

I have not used the subs you have, but my experience with other Warfedale Pro speakers indicates to me that the are prosumer products at best.  I could be wrong about the models you have, but with good amps, DSP settings, and bi-amped properly, this is a serious loudspeaker for it's size.  My guess is "yes", it should keep up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.