ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid/highs to use with 4 dual 18" subs  (Read 6703 times)

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
Re: Mid/highs to use with 4 dual 18" subs
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »

Some 12 inch tops with 1 inch hf can take all a Powersoft k10 can give. So dont generalize.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »

Some 12 inch tops with 1 inch hf can take all a Powersoft k10 can give. So dont generalize.

A bridged Powersoft K10 (since we're using all it can give) will do 8KW into 8ohm and 12KW into 4ohm. RCF's top-of-the-line 12" midbass has a 4" voicecoil and a lot of venting, and is rated for 1KW long-term. I might give it 2KW if I wanted some headroom, but there's no way I'd put an 8KW amplifier on it.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

RichardStringer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 03:42:04 AM »

The EV Xi1152 are very good sounding due the RMD (Ring Mode Decoupling).  It makes the 15 sound as good in the upper mids as most 12" cabinets, and it has a large format driver.  But . . . you need to use the DSP settings that EV suggests or they will not sound good.  This requires a separate processor or an amp with DSP.  They are heavy too!

Are those cabs loud enough then to keep up spl wise with 4 double 18" subs?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee.....
I love when a speaker has a flat frequency response but the PS15 are said to have a midrange sound that sounds as thouhg vocals etc...are coming out the back of the box. I know Nexo Alpha series has a flat frequency response it's a beautiful sound, loud, not ear piercing at all and just excellent i've heard those cabs myself many times.

RichardStringer

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 03:49:28 AM »

I think you're probably talking about speaker cabinets which costs absolutely thousands and thousands per cab and obviously you know my budget because i've mentioned it so you should know that I meant 12" 2-way cabs in my budget range.

RichardStringer

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 03:52:52 AM »

A pair of EV QRx112/75 would get it done if you biamped them. You can get DSP settings from EV and they get pretty loud pretty clean.

A single pair would be loud enough? I used to have a pair years ago of Qrx212 cabs and they were loud but they nicely kept up with a pair of double 18" subs I had back then, no offence but I don't see how a pair of Qex112/75 cabs could keep up spl wise. I don't mean anything bad by that with you mentioning they'd be loud enough so please don't think I do. I appreciate all the help people give me. I don't like the subs to massively overpower the mid/high frequency cabs like I know a lot of people do I like to be able to run the system full blast (without clipping of course)
 but to have a nicely balanced system.
 :)

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 06:14:50 AM »

You probably can't find a new pair of cabinets in your pricerange that does all you want it to do. Maybe second hand?

RichardStringer

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »

You probably can't find a new pair of cabinets in your pricerange that does all you want it to do. Maybe second hand?

I have in the past seen used Turbosound TQ440 cabs for about £1,000 do you think a pair of thoae woll be loud enough?

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »

A single pair would be loud enough? I used to have a pair years ago of Qrx212 cabs and they were loud but they nicely kept up with a pair of double 18" subs I had back then, no offence but I don't see how a pair of Qex112/75 cabs could keep up spl wise. I don't mean anything bad by that with you mentioning they'd be loud enough so please don't think I do. I appreciate all the help people give me. I don't like the subs to massively overpower the mid/high frequency cabs like I know a lot of people do I like to be able to run the system full blast (without clipping of course)
 but to have a nicely balanced system.
 :)

In a 15x60 room, you could hit about 105 db at the back of the room.109 db with the 212/75.

What are your spl requirements? Did you biamp the 212/75 when you had them?

At the advice of some forum members here I switched to biamping my QRx cabinets and it made a huge difference in SQ and SPL.

RichardStringer

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »

In a 15x60 room, you could hit about 105 db at the back of the room.109 db with the 212/75.

What are your spl requirements? Did you biamp the 212/75 when you had them?

At the advice of some forum members here I switched to biamping my QRx cabinets and it made a huge difference in SQ and SPL.

No I ran them in passive mode, how much difference can it really make though in real world terms with dance music which is very highly compressed? I play techno so have to really power my subs around their continuous rated power due to the small crest factor of techno, it'd be the same with mid/high cabs wouldn't it so surely if I ran them passive or bi-amped i'd surely not get much more spl out of them, not a noticeable amount I wouldn't think.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »

How much difference can anything make?  I already stated that IMO it made a huge difference in SQ and SPL both.  I haven't measured the results, but I now have plenty of headroom in the size rooms you are playing with 2 bridged QSC PLX1602 running the 112/75 cabinets with EV suggested DSP settings.

I run sound for live bands so our requirements are different.  How loud do you need it to be?  That is where you should start when finding the right tool for the job. 

I need ### db SPL @ # weighting @ ## distance.  Then you can work backwards to see if a particular speaker will work for your intended application. Then all you have to do is wade through the inflated specs on most speakers and determine how well they will actually perform in your given situation. Most MI or ProSumer boxes in a given price range will perform in a similar manner.

Considering your budget, you are going to have a hard time meeting your expectations IMO.  Big boy rigs come with big boy price tags. If your time isn't worth anything and you have some woodworking chops, build a Peter Morris DIY 90 cabinet, or 2 60 deg cabinets.  That will run you around $1000 each IIRC, plus amps and processing to take advantage of what they can really do. 

FWIW, I'm just a lounge level guy with little experience compared to others around here.  Just giving you my opinion on what I use regularly and how I came to the decision on what to purchase for my needs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.