ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid/highs to use with 4 dual 18" subs  (Read 6704 times)

RichardStringer

Mid/highs to use with 4 dual 18" subs
« on: May 09, 2017, 04:46:08 AM »

I've got four Wharfedale Delta 218 dual 18" subs and am going to soon power them Proline 3000 amplifiers because I know those amplifiers have a brilliant reputation here in the UK for being able to output their rated power all night long. Anyway the subs are rated at being able to handle 1,600 watts continuous average power and I was wondering if a pair of Yamaha DSR115 cabs would keep up with them spl wise. About £1,500-£1,800 is absolutely the most I can afford, I was looking at a pair of used Nexo PS15 cabs (used they're about £1,000 a pair here in the UK) but people who've used them many times and even people who own them say they're damn loud but not great for dance music even using the Nexo PS15 controllers as the sound has quite a gap in the mid frequency.

My other idea was to find a pair of 15" 2-way cabs like the Wharfedale Delta 15 or Citronic CX5008 and load them with RCF MB15N401 driers and RCF 1.4" exit compression drivers and running the cabs bi-amped without the passive crossovers in them, i've modelled them in WinISD software and all looks good.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:49:17 AM by RichardStringer »

Jeff Bankston

Re: Mid/highs to use with 4 dual 18" subs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:22:28 AM »

I prefer 12" mids and 2" horns with 18" woofys. 15" isnt going to be as good in the mid as 12" and you dont need 15's when you have 18's. I dont use them myself but if I were in your place I would use the JBX SRX 722 or something similar, 12 and a horn.

RichardStringer

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:03:44 AM »

I prefer 12" mids and 2" horns with 18" woofys. 15" isnt going to be as good in the mid as 12" and you dont need 15's when you have 18's. I dont use them myself but if I were in your place I would use the JBX SRX 722 or something similar, 12 and a horn.

JBL SRX722 here in the UK are amazingly rare so there's pretty much no chance of finding those in fact i've never seen any used in the past 5 years so...

I do prefer 12" cabs as well but I figured 15" cabs are bigger and have more chance of having a 1.4-2" compression than 12" cabs have. Most 12" cabs though are very small and so I doubt a 1,000 watts continuous rated RCF 12" driver would be suitable at all for the enclosures, plus most 12" cabs have only 1" compression drivers.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »

Might be worth looking for some old EV Deltamax and replacing the midbass. That compression driver is a force to be reckoned with. Not light, though.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

RichardStringer

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »

Might be worth looking for some old EV Deltamax and replacing the midbass. That compression driver is a force to be reckoned with. Not light, though.

Chris

Those Deltamax cabs are amazingly hard to find here in the UK, although there is a pair of EV Xi1152/64 cabs here for sale used for £1,600 a pair.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »

You haven't mentioned your application, which could impact recommendations.  What source material?  What types of venues?

Large format HF drivers are not cheap - period.  That's why most Prosumer level stuff uses 1" exit horns.  Older JBL and EV models had 2" throats, but their designs don't hold up well against newer technology.  Three-way models can get away with 1" throat drivers.  If you're sticking with 2-way, I second Jeff's comment re: 12" mids (see Clair R2T as an example).

Rather than those of us on this side of the pond taking shots in the dark, why don't you mention what Brands are readily available to you in the UK?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

RichardStringer

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »

You haven't mentioned your application, which could impact recommendations.  What source material?  What types of venues?

Large format HF drivers are not cheap - period.  That's why most Prosumer level stuff uses 1" exit horns.  Older JBL and EV models had 2" throats, but their designs don't hold up well against newer technology.  Three-way models can get away with 1" throat drivers.  If you're sticking with 2-way, I second Jeff's comment re: 12" mids (see Clair R2T as an example).

Rather than those of us on this side of the pond taking shots in the dark, why don't you mention what Brands are readily available to you in the UK?

Dave

Ok well the main place is is a small wine bar which is gonna let me do events there, the top room is about 15ft x 60ft and the bottom basement is about the same. Source material is dj's using turntables and Native Instruments Traktor Scratch software with timecoded vinyl to play tracks off the laptop, it'll be drum & bass and techno.

Brands over here in the UK are EV, JBL, Peavey, LD Systems (I was looking at their Stinger 15HP which has 2" throat compression drivers and 4" voice coile low frequency 15" drivers). Used speakers wise there's not a great deal to find here, some JBL SRX725 cabs come up time to time for about £1,500 a pair (British pounds not US dollars), there's some Nexo PS15 cabs come up too but people have told me they're not great for dance music due to them having a kind of midrange sound that sounds as though it's coming out the back of the cabinet even using the controller. There's a pair of EV Xi1152/64 cabs used at the moment for £1,650 a pair.

There's a hell of a lot of midrange powered cabs here new these days, I have a pair of FBT X-ite 12A cabs for dj monitors which sound lovely, the quality of sound is excellent but they're no way loud enough for front of house. There's EV TX-2152 cabs new here in the UK but they're £1,100 each and I believe do have quite a muddy midrange sound to them.

That's about all I can find. There's RCF cabs new too but even the Art745A are £1,100 each, there's Yamaha DSR115 cabs at £980 each new, people say they're pretty damn loud. My absolute limit that I can possibly scrape together is £1,800 for a pair of mid/high cabs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:35:41 PM by RichardStringer »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »

Speak to a store about dropping you a 10% discount on the DSR115s and be done with it. You will need tons more sub's that tops for your needs.

Not likeing that a speaker has a "mid range sound" isn't a valuable opinion since a little bit if smiley face eq will make it sound just like you want...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »

The EV Xi1152 are very good sounding due the RMD (Ring Mode Decoupling).  It makes the 15 sound as good in the upper mids as most 12" cabinets, and it has a large format driver.  But . . . you need to use the DSP settings that EV suggests or they will not sound good.  This requires a separate processor or an amp with DSP.  They are heavy too!

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »

A pair of EV QRx112/75 would get it done if you biamped them. You can get DSP settings from EV and they get pretty loud pretty clean.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 26 queries.