ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piss poor house engineer. What would you do?  (Read 11604 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Piss poor house engineer. What would you do?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 06:40:32 PM »

Why are so many folks quick to jump to that stereotype before they even have reason?

as was already said...  experience.

I decided to not approach another sound person at a gig i was attending under any circumstances as i just never saw it ending well for either of us.  Either he blows me off, or i convince him that i'm God's Gift to Sound.  Then i 'help' him and either it's great and he gets fired cause he couldn't figure it out himself [and i get offered a job i don't want], or it's awful and i get blamed for it.

I learned to turn off my sound guy ears when necessary a long time ago.  It's avoided an awful lot of headaches....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

I referred him to the forum for educational purposes. He will probably be pissed at the title of this thread though lol.

Change it? I didn't realize we could do that until recently :P
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »

as was already said...  experience.

I decided to not approach another sound person at a gig i was attending under any circumstances as i just never saw it ending well for either of us.  Either he blows me off, or i convince him that i'm God's Gift to Sound.  Then i 'help' him and either it's great and he gets fired cause he couldn't figure it out himself [and i get offered a job i don't want], or it's awful and i get blamed for it.

I learned to turn off my sound guy ears when necessary a long time ago.  It's avoided an awful lot of headaches....

Yeah, it's hard for me to go on a vacation without the vocation interfering...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »

I vote with my feet a lot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »

I went on a music themed cruise a few months back with my wife.  I had some amazing experiences and met two great engineers (one a contemporary of ML and a treasure trove of Showco stories).  A few of the shows sucked beyond pretty bad, at one point an artist those of us over 40 have heard of stopped the performance and said, in a really pleasant tone, "guys can you please take care of that" the stage was ringing around 300hz.  Many of the acts I work with would not have been so charitable. 

I turned even that into a learning experience as the intimacy of the ship gave us unprecedented access to production. What really blew my mind is after dinner we walked up to the lounge and damn if Chuck Negron and 3 more original TNG members were not playing a small room even by lounge standards.

Chuck's voice was still amazing, the B3 and Leslie were mic'd just right and even the little ground stacked D&B rig were making a beautiful sound.   That's where I met JC and watched his interaction with the crew.  I am not going to spill the whole story as I am writing it up to send it to Craig for LSI. 

Now if I could just blot out the memory of Chris Cross and the worlds most banal band.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 01:23:11 AM »

I went on a music themed cruise a few months back with my wife.  I had some amazing experiences and met two great engineers (one a contemporary of ML and a treasure trove of Showco stories).  A few of the shows sucked beyond pretty bad, at one point an artist those of us over 40 have heard of stopped the performance and said, in a really pleasant tone, "guys can you please take care of that" the stage was ringing around 300hz.  Many of the acts I work with would not have been so charitable. 

I turned even that into a learning experience as the intimacy of the ship gave us unprecedented access to production. What really blew my mind is after dinner we walked up to the lounge and damn if Chuck Negron and 3 more original TNG members were not playing a small room even by lounge standards.

Chuck's voice was still amazing, the B3 and Leslie were mic'd just right and even the little ground stacked D&B rig were making a beautiful sound.   That's where I met JC and watched his interaction with the crew.  I am not going to spill the whole story as I am writing it up to send it to Craig for LSI. 

Now if I could just blot out the memory of Chris Cross and the worlds most banal band.

I read recently that Kenny G was playing on a commercial aircraft.  "No, Miss, I am opening the door NOW...."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »

I read recently that Kenny G was playing on a commercial aircraft.  "No, Miss, I am opening the door NOW...."

It has also been brought up to me that Chris Cross is a rap act and I should properly refer to him as Christopher Cross. 

So many things struck me, the enormity of his pedal board, only eclipsed by some of the metal masters of unnamed bar rooms, two tube amps and a transistor amp and one 15 second solo during "ride like the wind".  No eye contact with the crowd.  The bands stiff staging.  Christophers comments that were nearly identical to his 10 year old live album.  Thankfully he played one song that was at least only a decade old yet no new arrangement.  A vacuous rendition that had even less emotion than the studio cut.

The night before "The Orchestra, the surviving members of ELO (there's a name for a band)" totally kicked ass and the BE engineer did a great job with the Kara and L28's ground stacked on the deck.  The first night the Kara was so bright I thought a 10 penny nail was being driven into my head, no discernable mid range and a giant bloat around 400 that completely obliterated the vocals.  This was all for the Little River Band.

The second night it was a real pleasure to See Dewey and Gerry from America.  They had some new members behind them and say what you will but I have always liked America.

Third night Frampton joined us in port and his engineer (I have his card somewhere) had the room sounding awesome.  In contrast to Christopher's ridiculous pedal board, Peter's reasonable stage level and simple signal chain was a joy.  The mix was awesome. 

The small stage in the front bar was the place to be and we had great experiences with the Orleans (still have it), Firefall, a great cover band from Abbey Road on the River hailing from Canada called "all you need is love" and the aforementioned Chuck Negron.  All great performances. 

Since I was a guest, not the crew I think my observations are appropriate.

One thing that struck me was just how long these guys have been playing.  The window is really closing to enjoy the music of my youth.  I made it 5 days without being on the Internet without having a meltdown.  Food sucked in the main dining room sucked so we just did the casual buffet and I still managed to drop a few pounds. 

All in all Starvista, the production company did a good job of putting the event together.  I don't think it is my business to name the production, audio and backline company but it was fun hanging with some of the crew.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 02:42:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.