ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi Pass on the DSP input.  (Read 3043 times)

IANAPPLEBY

Hi Pass on the DSP input.
« on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »

Question, do you put a hi pass on the inputs to your DSP? If so, what settings do you recommend?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Hi Pass on the DSP input.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:45:25 AM »

There are so many variables the answer can only be it depends.

Also I would recommend just editing your display name to look more like your name.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:52:22 AM »

Question, do you put a hi pass on the inputs to your DSP? If so, what settings do you recommend?
I would recommend a butterworth24 @20Hz on the input-in most cases.  But there are exceptions (it depends) where this is not a good idea.

It depends on the particular usage.  DSPs are used for all sorts of different styles of music/movies etc.

The outputs would depend on the particular loudspeakers used
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ian Appleby

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »

There are so many variables the answer can only be it depends.

Also I would recommend just editing your display name to look more like your name.

Hey Jean,

I have updated my display name. Doesn't like look it updated.
Ian Appleby
Dynacord Cobra 2 / EV Phoenix, ZX3 / A&H QU32

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »

It wasn't wrong before was just a recommendation. I looks much better. Hope you get the answers you need. Would agree with Ivan on the 20Hz filter though. Quite useful
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Ian Appleby

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »

I would recommend a butterworth24 @20Hz on the input-in most cases.  But there are exceptions (it depends) where this is not a good idea.

It depends on the particular usage.  DSPs are used for all sorts of different styles of music/movies etc.

The outputs would depend on the particular loudspeakers used

I used a Dynacord DSP-260, which is basically an EV DC One in black clothing. I use this processor with EV Phoenix PX2181 or Dual 18 and ZX3-60. In my settings for the crossover, I have it set to 24 Butterworth at 35hz. I know these subs' don't play extremely low, and for what I paid for them, and the work I do, they don't need to Will adding a 20hz hi-pass on the input stage, wcause any compounding or phase issues? Am I over thinking this, and I take it you put it 20 Hi-pass on your presets to as an extract protection for the speaker and cleaning up the in coming single. I guess the second question is, 35hz hi-pass on the sub this model sub to high? Thank you for your previous response. I just want to understand what I am doing before I do it. Looks like, none of my presets have a HP on the input stage.

Thank you.
Ian Appleby

Ian Appleby

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »

I used a Dynacord DSP-260, which is basically an EV DC One in black clothing. I use this processor with EV Phoenix PX2181 or Dual 18 and ZX3-60. In my settings for the crossover, I have it set to 24 Butterworth at 35hz. I know these subs' don't play extremely low, and for what I paid for them, and the work I do, they don't need to Will adding a 20hz hi-pass on the input stage, wcause any compounding or phase issues? Am I over thinking this, and I take it you put it 20 Hi-pass on your presets to as an extract protection for the speaker and cleaning up the in coming single. I guess the second question is, 35hz hi-pass on the sub this model sub to high? Thank you for your previous response. I just want to understand what I am doing before I do it. Looks like, none of my presets have a HP on the input stage.

Thank you.

I just checked my software for the DSP-260 and it looks like I only have an option for a 12db/oct on the input stage of the processor in the Para EQ section, which is the first stage in the processor. I want to make sure I am not confusing myself. I already have the HI-Pass on the subs, so is this over kill?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:15:54 AM by Ian Appleby »
Ian Appleby

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »

I think 35 Hz is fine. Very few sub's put out anything useful below like 40 well at MI level. Whether it will cause phasing issue no unless you only put it on one of the two sub channels, just do it identically and it will be fine.

I don't think adding another 20Hz filter will hurt but I don't think its particularly useful either.

Solve you problem and just do it on the main out on the desk.

By default I have a 20 Hz High pass and a 18KHz low pass on the output of my desk. I can't hear anything above 18KHz and anything below 20 will probably just put your drivers against the grills.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »

Remember that any filters you invoke on the input to your DSP crossover are now in series with all of the output filters in the crossover sections.  Ideally each output band will have the low pass and high pass filters specific to those drivers.  The only time I would insert a high pass on the input stage would be if the output bands had insufficient processing to do the job.  High pass filters for subs are specified by every speaker manufacturer I've dealt with over the years and your subs will be all their happier for it but a 35 hz high pass on the input stage is now in front of the low, mid and high bands as well along with its attendant phase shift.

I spent some time years ago trying to make some EV Deltamax 1152s sound good with Ashly DSPs after making FFT measurements of the original EV analog crossovers. I was always a bit unhappy with the results.  I finally discovered a set of 1152 settings published by EV for their branded DSP units and those included a 680 hz dip on the input stage.  The output stage for the band covered by that driver had unused EQ listed in the EV chart available so this was apparently some phase juggling that the boxes needed for that final piece of the puzzle. I tend to look at filters on the input stage of DSP crossovers as being reserved for  venue specific EQ or for that sort of system massaging.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 07:48:13 AM »

I would recommend a butterworth24 @20Hz on the input-in most cases.

Agree. It is a reasonable CYA against unknown upstream abuses..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 07:48:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 25 queries.