ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 way radios  (Read 30089 times)

Tom Provenza

Re: 2 way radios
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »

We're finally getting new radios for our building. Getting rid of the XTS2500s that we have been using for over a decade now. We're looking at the SL300 and the SL3500e radios since we have finally been given the green light by City Radio to move out of the 800MHz public safety band that the rest of the City uses.

We're supposed to get some demo units this week or next to test out. We're looking forward to having smaller, lighter radios that won't break your foot if they fall off your belt.

Yes, having a facility use resources on a public Safety system for on site coverage is pretty inefficient use of that spectrum, and a waste of money since you are tied to higher tier radios.

I see Radio Reference shows your facility using a 470 frequency. Is that accurate?

The SL300 is a slick little radio. The LED display imbedded in the front housing is great for low light conditions If you need that feature. If you go that route, I recommend the optional heavy duty swivel belt clip vs the standard holster that usually ships with it,
------------------

Tom Provenza

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2017, 09:51:09 PM »

I see Radio Reference shows your facility using a 470 frequency. Is that accurate?
No. We haven't used anything on that frequency since I have been in the building, almost 9 years now. Up to this point, we've just used whatever the Police Radio Shop assigned to us, mostly because we didn't have to pay for it out of our operational budget.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »

. . .

Our dealer has told us that their film production rental clients will refuse anything other than CP200s including CP200Ds.

. . .

I can confirm this as being absolutely true, due to the delay induced by the digital radios driving people batty on set when there are 50+ radios active and turned on full blast.

Found this out when I was discussing digital radios with a friend in location sound. He has 200+ CP200s in his rental inventory and not a single CP200D. . .he berated me for 10 minutes for even considering digital radios for production.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »

I can confirm this as being absolutely true, due to the delay induced by the digital radios driving people batty on set when there are 50+ radios active and turned on full blast.

Found this out when I was discussing digital radios with a friend in location sound. He has 200+ CP200s in his rental inventory and not a single CP200D. . .he berated me for 10 minutes for even considering digital radios for production.

What most folk fail to understand however is that all the current digital LMR radio offerings can be programmed to operate in analog mode on a channel by channel basis. Whereas the latency can exceed 200mS when operating in digital mode, that latency goes down to less than 3mS when programmed for analog operation. There numerous entertainment production radio rental houses that have thousands of digital radios in their inventory and simply program them for analog operation as requested by the client.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »

We finally got our demo units: 2 Motorola SL300s and a Vertex EVX-S24. We like the Motorolas much better. We had one channel programmed for digital and another programmed for analog.

The analog channel is much easier to use and doesn't have the massive delay that the digital channel does. Also, the Motorolas have a much quieter end of transmission kerchunk than the Vertex does.

We're going to do some more testing tomorrow after we get a good full charge on them. But so far, we have been able to transmit and receive from the farthest reaches of our building and from areas that we have previously had problems with reliable transmission, like our underground engineering and HVAC areas.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »

Does anyone make a "Quality" radio (quality level of Motorola or Kenwood Business Radio) that has the user-programmability of the Chinese radios?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2018, 06:53:00 PM »

Does anyone make a "Quality" radio (quality level of Motorola or Kenwood Business Radio) that has the user-programmability of the Chinese radios?

Kenwood, among others, makes some very high-quality user-programmable radios for the amateur service, but my impression was that part of the requirements for a radio to be certified for LMR use is that it isn't user programmable...

-Russ

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:03 PM »

Kenwood, among others, makes some very high-quality user-programmable radios for the amateur service, but my impression was that part of the requirements for a radio to be certified for LMR use is that it isn't user programmable...

Correct; Part 90.203(e) & (g) rules forbid the end user (operator) from having the ability to program frequency or channel width.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »

I have a bunch of Motorola vhf walkies. I bought a programming cable and a programming software program.

Probably would have been cheaper to take em to a shop and get em done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 10:53:31 PM »

-Russ
I mistakenly bought a Kenwood TH-D72, thinking it would be what I wanted. While it's a fine radio, for legal reasons, I believe, it doesn't allow ALL frequencies to be selected. The Chinese radios have no such limitations. There's millions of them, you'd think there'd be one brand that would want to stand out from the rest by building a bit of quality into the product...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:51:53 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 10:53:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.