ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI extenders that use coax  (Read 5824 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
HDMI extenders that use coax
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »

Anyone have any suggestions for HDMI extenders that use a single coax and will actually work for sometime. The longest run is about 125 feet. Another idea would be to use HD rf modulators, any good suggestions there that are not too crazy expensive.

Thanks

Cailen Waddell

Re: HDMI extenders that use coax
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:01:27 AM »

Look for hdmi to SDI converters.   Depending on the quality of the RG6 you should be able to re terminate with BNC and get a 720p or 1080i image 125 feet.  Higher resolutions would be dependent upon cable quality. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:23:32 AM »

Look for hdmi to SDI converters.   Depending on the quality of the RG6 you should be able to re terminate with BNC and get a 720p or 1080i image 125 feet.  Higher resolutions would be dependent upon cable quality. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Blackmagic mini's are my favorite.  With 13Awg foil shielded you can get 1000' easily at 1080 data rates.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »

The Blackmagic mini's are my favorite.  With 13Awg foil shielded you can get 1000' easily at 1080 data rates.
We have always had problems with Blackmagic.  Our norm is now AJA or DataVideo.

Most also don't work with HDCP encumbered content.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »

Look for hdmi to SDI converters.   Depending on the quality of the RG6 you should be able to re terminate with BNC and get a 720p or 1080i image 125 feet. 

This has been most reliable method for me.  HDBaseT seems finicky with the RJ45 termination and needs shielded cat6A to be reliable over 100ft.  I have no problem with 1080i (HD-SDI) on 200ft of Belden 1505A. 

Never had much luck with Blackmagic gears.  I do not trust them for live events.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »

This has been most reliable method for me.  HDBaseT seems finicky with the RJ45 termination and needs shielded cat6A to be reliable over 100ft.  I have no problem with 1080i (HD-SDI) on 200ft of Belden 1505A. 

Never had much luck with Blackmagic gears.  I do not trust them for live events.

John R.

That is odd, I am by no means an expert but I have never had an issue with the BM mini's.

We use them at several church's, and have driven a Barco wall, Christie, JVC, Panasonic and other popular projectors.

I have been using one on my JVC ILDA home video projector with no HDCP issues.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Bourke

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 01:45:24 AM »

That is odd, I am by no means an expert but I have never had an issue with the BM mini's.

We use them at several church's, and have driven a Barco wall, Christie, JVC, Panasonic and other popular projectors.

I have been using one on my JVC ILDA home video projector with no HDCP issues.
The HDCP problem is on the input side.  For us it mostly happens with Apple laptops and consumer gear.  Windows machines and pro gear are not really a problem.  HDCP problems are not quality problems but a legal problem.  All legit companies block the transmission of encumbered content to unencrypted outputs, it's the law.

HDCP aside, the BM mini boxes have been horrible for us.  Much past 150 ft on any cable we have tried has been iffy.  Granted this is infrastructure or rented cables but still.  At times we would swap out a BM box with a $40 monoprice POS and the POS would work.

My preferred boxes are from Data video.  The DAC-70 is a cannon and has saved my ass more times than I can count.

I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 02:01:54 AM »

The HDCP problem is on the input side.  For us it mostly happens with Apple laptops and consumer gear.  Windows machines and pro gear are not really a problem.  HDCP problems are not quality problems but a legal problem.  All legit companies block the transmission of encumbered content to unencrypted outputs, it's the law.

HDCP aside, the BM mini boxes have been horrible for us.  Much past 150 ft on any cable we have tried has been iffy.  Granted this is infrastructure or rented cables but still.  At times we would swap out a BM box with a $40 monoprice POS and the POS would work.

My preferred boxes are from Data video.  The DAC-70 is a cannon and has saved my ass more times than I can count.

I just checked we have the Micro's not the mini's.  Same caveat's?  If this is something waiting to bite me in the ass then I need to get in front of it.

We are using the BM ATEM HD switcher to go from HDMI to DVI, the micro's are converters on the projector ends.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »

I just checked we have the Micro's not the mini's.  Same caveat's?  If this is something waiting to bite me in the ass then I need to get in front of it.

We are using the BM ATEM HD switcher to go from HDMI to DVI, the micro's are converters on the projector ends.

I've also had HDCP and EDID handling issues.  Had sporadic glitches/artifacts with their converters.  It seems they get super hot.  I also don't like the non-locking power supplies.  AJA is all I use now.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 08:38:46 AM »

Do you need to extend HDMI, or just video?  HDMI includes EDID, HPD, HDCP, Ethernet, audio, etc as well.  HDbaseT works great for extending HDMI as long as you use quality brand boxes and Cat6a cables, and ensure the other signals embedded are happy.  ProCo, for example, makes durable cables for this.  The weakest link are the RJ45 connections. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tom Bourke

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

We had mini and mini 4K.  The 4k were the really bad versions.  The older non 4K mini's were OKish for distance.  We only used the HDMI to SDI, SDI to HDMI, and SDI DA's.  I have no experience with any of the BM cameras or switchers.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »

We had mini and mini 4K.  The 4k were the really bad versions.  The older non 4K mini's were OKish for distance.  We only used the HDMI to SDI, SDI to HDMI, and SDI DA's.  I have no experience with any of the BM cameras or switchers.

Those are the ones we have and I had the damn thing gaffed to the 8K Christie last night and 300' of Belden 8241 and it was another great night.

For a company that video is an ancillary service the new ATEM HD switcher has basically changed my world.  Having 2 keyers, an aux output and onboard storage has upped what we can do.

As per the original thread, ignore me and listen to these guys.  Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I may go with the  HDMI to SDI
for this project. Has anyone ever used the HDMI to RF extenders, I found some that let you split the signal with standard CATV splitters, that system still requires dedicated transmitter and receiver units.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.