ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Powercon Stage Stringers  (Read 10948 times)

Mike Sullivan

Building Powercon Stage Stringers
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »

I'm getting ready to build some new stage stringers but plan to make the system a little more modular and take up less space.  The plan is to make boxes with Powercon in & out, with a second out for a pass through to drop boxes for opening acts that can be removed for headlining acts, as well as take less space up on small shows.  I think OA Windsor (under the new owners) makes them, but I was wondering if anywhere else would be a good source to look.  As always cheaper is better, but I'd rather pay for good quality, or try to make my own with standard rubber or plastic boxes.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Building Powercon Stage Stringers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »

I'd recommend OA Windsor for anything they sell. I don't think you can beat the price and quality anywhere.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

+1 for OA Windsor

I just received some for a trial and they are great. If what you're looking for isn't listed, contact Jim and he will work with you to make what you need. Nice guy too.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »

I'd recommend OA Windsor for anything they sell. I don't think you can beat the price and quality anywhere.

+1

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:05:39 AM »

Mike, I have some of the O.A. Windsor powerCON in/thru quad boxes, which are a standard item. I've made up powerCON cords (12/3 SOOW) in various lengths for the box-to-box spacing. You might consider (as an alternative to custom boxes) just using a short 5/15P to powerCON jumper and plug the opener's quad box into one of the 5/15R spaces on the headliner's quad box.

Edit:  correct spelling/typing error
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:30:07 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Mike, I have some of the O.A. Winsor powerCON in/thru quad boxes, which are a standard item. I've made up powerCON cords (12/3 SOOW) in various lengths for the box-to-box spacing. You might consider (as an alternative to custom boxes) just using a short 5/15P to powerCON jumper and plug the opener's quad box into one of the 5/15R spaces on the headliner's quad box.

I could do that but I kind of want to stick with Powercon if I can to make sure that power isn't lost by someone walking across the back or something like that.  Thanks guys, I'll more than likely stick with OA Windsor

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »

I have some of the O.A. Winsor powerCON in/thru quad boxes, which are a standard item. I've made up powerCON cords (12/3 SOOW) in various lengths for the box-to-box spacing.
Mark, could you PM me a picture of the box you are talking about, or just post one here.  I love the OA Winsor stuff and have been thinking of adding a powerCon stringer to my collection.  You can never have to many stringers.  One of the things that I love about OA Winsor is that they can build anything electrical as long as you can describe it.

Thanks
Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »

Mark, could you PM me a picture of the box you are talking about, or just post one here.  I love the OA Winsor stuff and have been thinking of adding a powerCon stringer to my collection.  You can never have to many stringers.  One of the things that I love about OA Winsor is that they can build anything electrical as long as you can describe it.

Thanks
Bill

PM sent.

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »

I just received this from OA Windsor. I ordered one as a test and will be ordering more shortly.  I use the Powercon True 1 connector. Jim made the modification from the stock Powercon stringer box. Everything fit in nicely and works great. It is very solid.

I have several different lengths of 12/3 with True 1 connectors. I can place the stringers where ever needed.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »

I just received this from OA Windsor. I ordered one as a test and will be ordering more shortly.  I use the Powercon True 1 connector. Jim made the modification from the stock Powercon stringer box. Everything fit in nicely and works great. It is very solid.

I have several different lengths of 12/3 with True 1 connectors. I can place the stringers where ever needed.

That's what my plan is.  I'll have short pieces of 14/3 (mostly because I got a hell of a deal on the wire) and some longer pieces of 12/3... the short ones will be for backline only so being a slightly smaller wire won't hamper it much. 

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »

I have the original powercon ones from OA Windsor and they're great. Plus water resistance and rated for disconnect under load with True1? Looks brilliant.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 06:31:22 PM »

IIRC, the collet on the True1 is smaller, and it will not take 12/3 SO cord.

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »

IIRC, the collet on the True1 is smaller, and it will not take 12/3 SO cord.
That's correct. Getting 12/3 SJ in is a tight fit.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »

The spec sheet says True1 accepts cables with 6-12mm outer diameter, while original powercon says 6-15mm. 12/3 is pretty tight in original powercon, though I've used all 12/3 in mine. I'd have to try it out. 

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »

The spec sheet says True1 accepts cables with 6-12mm outer diameter, while original powercon says 6-15mm. 12/3 is pretty tight in original powercon, though I've used all 12/3 in mine. I'd have to try it out.

That's correct. The blue and white Powercon will take 12/3 SOOW through the chuck. I don't know about the terminals inside. It says 14awg on the sheet. I don't have any of the blue and white.

I have all True 1 and have 12/3 SJOOW. I went with the True1 because of the ability to extend a run without an adapter and the IP65 rating. I was building a power supply system for my house Christmas lights.  The SJOOW was fine for this.

The 12/3 SOOW will not fit into the True1. I believe Mike Sokol spoke with someone at Neutrik about that and they said they have no plans to make the True1 compatible with 12/3 SOOW.

Depending on your AHJ it may not be acceptable on or back stage. SOOW is code in most locations AFAIK. I'm very much in the Lounge and have never even seen an AHJ. When and if I ever get to the level where it matters I know I'll have to invest in new cable. I have several years until that jump is even an option. <stupid well paying day job. >

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »

12/3 is tight with the conductors but definitely fits.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »

The 12/3 SOOW will not fit into the True1. I believe Mike Sokol spoke with someone at Neutrik about that and they said they have no plans to make the True1 compatible with 12/3 SOOW.

That is correct....

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 12:14:54 AM »

For those of you stubborn (like me), here's how I am constructing powerCON True1 cables using SO 12/3 service cable.

https://youtu.be/jPwZQwTk6Eo
Colorado Springs, CO

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »

Nice video by the way.
Two problems I see with this;
1) tinning stranded wire for use in compression connections is not considered good preactice as the solder will flow over time loosening the connections
2) use of the second layer of heat shrink seems to make it more difficult to do annual maintenance of tightening the connections made even more critical by the use of solder

I guess for me, I won’t use this connector for #12 SOOW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 06:54:57 PM »

Thanks, Rob!  I did not realize tinning was not considered good practice. 

I hope these will last me until I retire!
Colorado Springs, CO

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »

Here for the dissenting opinion. As an electrical engineer who has spent a lifetime being reminded that the least reliable parts of any electrical system are the connections, I decided to hardwire my stage stringer. It has 4 OA Windsor quad boxes separated by 10 ft. of 12/3 SOOW, with a good 20 ft. upstream of the first box with a normal damn Edison plug on it (and a Kellems grip). For small events this often is long enough to get to a house receptacle without any additional fooling around. The whole shebang is about 50 ft. It's a bit of bear to handle and coil but there are no parts to lose and no funny connectors to arouse suspicion (not that I've ever encountered an inspector on any of my gigs). More than one way to string a cat. So far so good.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.