ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Powercon Stage Stringers  (Read 10947 times)

Mike Sullivan

Building Powercon Stage Stringers
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »

I'm getting ready to build some new stage stringers but plan to make the system a little more modular and take up less space.  The plan is to make boxes with Powercon in & out, with a second out for a pass through to drop boxes for opening acts that can be removed for headlining acts, as well as take less space up on small shows.  I think OA Windsor (under the new owners) makes them, but I was wondering if anywhere else would be a good source to look.  As always cheaper is better, but I'd rather pay for good quality, or try to make my own with standard rubber or plastic boxes.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Building Powercon Stage Stringers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »

I'd recommend OA Windsor for anything they sell. I don't think you can beat the price and quality anywhere.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »

+1 for OA Windsor

I just received some for a trial and they are great. If what you're looking for isn't listed, contact Jim and he will work with you to make what you need. Nice guy too.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »

I'd recommend OA Windsor for anything they sell. I don't think you can beat the price and quality anywhere.

+1

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:05:39 AM »

Mike, I have some of the O.A. Windsor powerCON in/thru quad boxes, which are a standard item. I've made up powerCON cords (12/3 SOOW) in various lengths for the box-to-box spacing. You might consider (as an alternative to custom boxes) just using a short 5/15P to powerCON jumper and plug the opener's quad box into one of the 5/15R spaces on the headliner's quad box.

Edit:  correct spelling/typing error
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:30:07 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »

Mike, I have some of the O.A. Winsor powerCON in/thru quad boxes, which are a standard item. I've made up powerCON cords (12/3 SOOW) in various lengths for the box-to-box spacing. You might consider (as an alternative to custom boxes) just using a short 5/15P to powerCON jumper and plug the opener's quad box into one of the 5/15R spaces on the headliner's quad box.

I could do that but I kind of want to stick with Powercon if I can to make sure that power isn't lost by someone walking across the back or something like that.  Thanks guys, I'll more than likely stick with OA Windsor

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »

I have some of the O.A. Winsor powerCON in/thru quad boxes, which are a standard item. I've made up powerCON cords (12/3 SOOW) in various lengths for the box-to-box spacing.
Mark, could you PM me a picture of the box you are talking about, or just post one here.  I love the OA Winsor stuff and have been thinking of adding a powerCon stringer to my collection.  You can never have to many stringers.  One of the things that I love about OA Winsor is that they can build anything electrical as long as you can describe it.

Thanks
Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »

Mark, could you PM me a picture of the box you are talking about, or just post one here.  I love the OA Winsor stuff and have been thinking of adding a powerCon stringer to my collection.  You can never have to many stringers.  One of the things that I love about OA Winsor is that they can build anything electrical as long as you can describe it.

Thanks
Bill

PM sent.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »

I just received this from OA Windsor. I ordered one as a test and will be ordering more shortly.  I use the Powercon True 1 connector. Jim made the modification from the stock Powercon stringer box. Everything fit in nicely and works great. It is very solid.

I have several different lengths of 12/3 with True 1 connectors. I can place the stringers where ever needed.

I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »

I just received this from OA Windsor. I ordered one as a test and will be ordering more shortly.  I use the Powercon True 1 connector. Jim made the modification from the stock Powercon stringer box. Everything fit in nicely and works great. It is very solid.

I have several different lengths of 12/3 with True 1 connectors. I can place the stringers where ever needed.

That's what my plan is.  I'll have short pieces of 14/3 (mostly because I got a hell of a deal on the wire) and some longer pieces of 12/3... the short ones will be for backline only so being a slightly smaller wire won't hamper it much. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.