ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of Line Arrays  (Read 22064 times)

Jay Brett

Re: Future of Line Arrays
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »

I spent the last 3 years trying to decide what do go with in regards to a new system for my venue. I looked at K2, D&B V-Series, Martin MLA and Meyer. Ultimately I went with D&B and I'm very happy! Made that choice based on a few factors. 1. Rider acceptance. Almost every rider I get lists D&B, L'Acoustic and Meyer 1-3. Martin doesn't even make the list on most riders. 2. Cross rental. The local production company I utilize to provide my labor is a D&B house, so if I need to add some additional J-subs or Infras, it's simple. C. My Ears.

I think the future is all about furthering the system processing side of things much like the MLA.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 12:30:18 AM »

The shear size of those subs mated together never ceases to amaze me.  You can really see it next to the ironwork and the Jericho's

It is also fascinating that the opening looks like a vagina.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 07:09:54 AM »

The shear size of those subs mated together never ceases to amaze me.  You can really see it next to the ironwork and the Jericho's

It is also fascinating that the opening looks like a vagina.
But they are still small-when you consider how many it would take of normal subs to equal the output.

Also the natural directivity is quite scary-how quiet it is behind them-without any electronic cancellation.

BTW-Tom calls the opening "the eye of the tiger".  It could be the same thing wink wink nod nod
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 08:19:15 AM »

But they are still small-when you consider how many it would take of normal subs to equal the output.

Also the natural directivity is quite scary-how quiet it is behind them-without any electronic cancellation.

BTW-Tom calls the opening "the eye of the tiger".  It could be the same thing wink wink nod nod

I've thought of it as the "Cat's Eye" sub myself...but Scott brings up an intriguing alternative that the marketing folks should have a field day with. ;>)

Best regards,

John

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 09:01:47 AM »

I've thought of it as the "Cat's Eye" sub myself...but Scott brings up an intriguing alternative that the marketing folks should have a field day with. ;>)

Best regards,

John

The "mother" of all subs?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »

:-\ ...

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »

It's not a line array, but Danley is almost there with a triangle. Just got to move the sub behind the two Jericho's.

Which DSL boxes are those?

Tom Danley

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »

The "mother" of all subs?

Hi  Tim
When we introduced that sub, one of the guys at the shop, Chad I think it was got inside and was crouched down in the mouth. 
At that moment it was determined that if we could give it a loud enough kick drum hit, we could give birth to Chad, right there on the demo room floor.

MOAS doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue like MOAB does but might be a suitable name. 
The pair does replace the 14 double 18 line array subs that had been spec’d, the pair goes nearly an octave lower, has more forward directivity and is louder.   
The approach in these stadiums is not aimed at selling the most boxes for a given job but getting the most sound out of the fewest boxes consistent with Hopkins Stryker / intelligibility.
Best,
Tom

Tom Danley

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 10:28:04 AM »

:-\ ...

Hi Peter
Eye of the Tiger.

This should be a fun system commissioning,  there is more firepower there than any of the 100,000 seat outdoor stadiums or Disney stuff we have done so far and a lot of the people are close only a hundred feet or so from the hangs and the subs go down low (I kind of like low bass). 

To be clear, this is not a line array or aimed at live sound but here is an idea what this “one acoustic source” stadium hifi approach can deliver, here loafing along at about 100 meters, try with headphones!. 
The audience in the stadium will be about 1/3 that distance with subs that go into the 20’s flown.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o541g5odygyx0cz/20170428113035.mts?dl=0

Best,
Tom

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »

Which DSL boxes are those?
The main ones in the photo are 2 BC218s (subs), a J1-94 (kinda forward facing) and a J2-94 (down facing).

There are 8 of those clusters in a ring around the field.

In the photo behind it, you can see a J3-64 (Facing the opposite direction) for field coverage.

The Upper seats are covered by a ring of SH96s-58 of them.

There is 1 SH62 for the each of the 4 corners.

Luxury box seats are covered by  GO2-8cx

Power is mostly Crown Itech 12K and 9K amps.  There are Crown 2400x4 amps (I forget the model #) for the SH96s and Go2s.

There is a lot of headroom in the amps.  For example-each of the BC218s has a bridged 12K into EACH DRIVER.  So for each cluster there are 4 bridged 12Ks for the 2 subs.

Usable power into the actual loads is around 660,000 watts.  Total amp power (if loaded down fully) is over 1,000,000 watts.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.