ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of Line Arrays  (Read 22065 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Future of Line Arrays
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 07:33:43 AM »

Martin MLA and EAW Adaptive are two completely different animals, as others have pointed out.
Having used both, I will say that MLA is very good and Adaptive is even better, especially in terms of coverage adjustments in real time. Both will consistently outperform a lot of traditional line arrays under identical condition and Adaptive will blow them out of the water if you have to fly the PA from a difficult point in the venue.

FWIW

John L Nobile

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »

Every time the "D" brand comes up you have to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As if I need an excuse. :)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:33 PM »

The future of line arrays should be triangular, right?

We started with single point speakers, then moved to lines...next we should be moving to triangular speaker arrays, right?   8)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »

We started with single point speakers, then moved to lines...next we should be moving to triangular speaker arrays, right?   8)
And then round arrays.

OH wait-some major manufacturers did that years ago (roundish anyway-OK more like a square with no middle-just the outline).  At least in their brochures.

I have never seen it in the wild
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »

It's not a line array, but Danley is almost there with a triangle. Just got to move the sub behind the two Jericho's.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »

What would be the purpose of triangular?  Line arrays are an attempt to create a theoretical source.  You can have theoretical line sources, theoretical directed singe point sources, or theoretical omni-directional spherical point sources.

A line source capable of concert SPLs will have multiple arrivals from the bottom to top elements.

Going triangular would add another axis where there would be multiple arrivals.

If you were in an anechoic space, a spherical source would give everyone the same FR but not the same SPL.  In the real world, the reflections would make it a non-starter.

So you are left with a pseudo directed point source.  Either by combining elements mechanically or by electrically compensating to give a similar effect.  Each has it's issues.  There are SPL issues with getting enough air movement within the wavelength limitations of a single physical point source, and it is pretty much impossible to eliminate the multiple arrivals of a large virtual point source.

The more we know, the more we realize there's more to learn.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »

What would be the purpose of triangular?  Line arrays are an attempt to create a theoretical source.  You can have theoretical line sources, theoretical directed singe point sources, or theoretical omni-directional spherical point sources.

A line source capable of concert SPLs will have multiple arrivals from the bottom to top elements.

Going triangular would add another axis where there would be multiple arrivals.

If you were in an anechoic space, a spherical source would give everyone the same FR but not the same SPL.  In the real world, the reflections would make it a non-starter.

So you are left with a pseudo directed point source.  Either by combining elements mechanically or by electrically compensating to give a similar effect.  Each has it's issues.  There are SPL issues with getting enough air movement within the wavelength limitations of a single physical point source, and it is pretty much impossible to eliminate the multiple arrivals of a large virtual point source.

The more we know, the more we realize there's more to learn.

I think you missed Cap'n Smartass Bigler's satire.

"A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?"  -M. Python  /nudge, wink
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »

Yes I think this is where we are going, processing to maximise the combined performance of the elements in the array.

As you mentioned there is MLA and Anya. Recently Martin released a cheaper version using the same technology – the Wavefront Precision Series.  d&b Audiotechnik has now introduced ArrayProcessing and AFMG has released FIRmaker which is being picked up by quite a few manufactures. 

Even cost effective speakers such as dB Technologies DVA and VIO line arrays allow individual settings for each box and full computer control with RDnet to maximise their performance.

https://martin-audio.com/products/series/wavefront-precision

http://www.dbaudio.com/en/campaigns/arrayprocessing.html

http://firmaker.afmg.eu/

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/software-controller/dbtechnologies-network-p3635.aspx
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:40:45 PM by Peter Morris »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:42 PM »

It's not a line array, but Danley is almost there with a triangle. Just got to move the sub behind the two Jericho's.

I hate to put woofers behind the mains.

One big reason is that the woofers are "already late", by the time the sound comes out of the cabinet-due to the delay of the low pass filters etc.  So the mains would have to be delayed even more-which makes them arrive at the listener later.

So they "should" be in front of the mains-but that isn't going to happen.

So putting them on the side is the best option.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

I think you missed Cap'n Smartass Bigler's satire.

"A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?"  -M. Python  /nudge, wink
My humor is so dry, that no one gets it.  :'(
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.