ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: $500 analog mixers  (Read 21247 times)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Presonus StudioLive AR Mixers
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I had a chance to play with a 10FX and it felt good but of course it was just knobs, not faders.  I'm glad most have an internal power supply.  I would really like 8 channels, so I'm a bit discouraged.  If I didn't worry about USB it would open up some of the better mixers, but it would be nice to have.

How about the ZED60-14FX?

I've sold a few of the Signature mixers also. No complaints yet.

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Craig Smith

Re: Presonus StudioLive AR Mixers
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »

How about the ZED60-14FX?

I've sold a few of the Signature mixers also. No complaints yet.
The ZED60-14FX was high on my list until I found out that it does not have a post-fader aux.

I'm tempted to look a little higher at options such as the ZED-16FX, but the "boss" is balking and I would rather save the money to put towards another digital mixer someday.  I think.

Scott Bolt

Re: $500 mixers - Soundcraft, Yamaha, or A&H
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »

I'm looking for a sub-$500 mixer with 6-8 mic channels, effects, and a computer interface.  I mainly do small amateur theater and need something with real faders.

The Presonus AR12 caught my eye, but I couldn't find any discussion on it here.  I like the SD slot, the channel signal lights, and the multi-track capability, although I must admit that I hate the look of Presonus.  But I'm mainly wondering about quality.  I found some user comments on store sites that said the faders were really cheap, but then a found a magazine article that said they really good.  A local store sells it, so I plan to go in and see if they have a demo model.

Here are some of the other ones on my list:
A&H ZED-12FX - best quality of the bunch, 100 mm faders
Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK - multitrack, some negative comments here
Yamaha MG16XU - not sure if these are better quality, but I've been using an MG124CX and the fader knobs keep coming off in the middle of shows

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
You may want to investigate the XR16 as well.  For theater, having digital scene recall might be a big deal for you.  In general, having a digital mixer would:

• Give you scene save and recall
  • Give you the ability to mix remotely without a snake (from behind the audience even)
  • Would be small and insignificant on stage
  • Full PEQ, gate, compressor on every channel

Might be something to look into before going with an analog mixer.

Craig Smith

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »

You may want to investigate the XR16 as well.  For theater, having digital scene recall might be a big deal for you.  In general, having a digital mixer would:

• Give you scene save and recall
  • Give you the ability to mix remotely without a snake (from behind the audience even)
  • Would be small and insignificant on stage
  • Full PEQ, gate, compressor on every channel

Might be something to look into before going with an analog mixer.
I agree 100%.  A number of years ago when I did more of this type of work and wanted to upgrade, I decided that digital was the way to go.  At the time I needed subgroups, delay, parametric EQ, compressors, etc, and really wanted the scenes and better metering.  So I sold all my outboard equipment and bought an 01v96i.  I also wanted remote mixing too but choices were limited back then.

Ironically I ended up not doing any theater for a long time after that so never used the scene feature, although I did do a number of concerts for the next year.  But then things tapered off and I had a lot of unexpected expenses, so I sold all my good equipment and have just been using the original cheap stuff I bought a long time ago.  But now I'm doing a little more and what I have just doesn't cut it; but I'm not doing anything major.  So I was just thinking of getting something cheap for now.

The problem is I'm usually working with area mics with kids with no experience.  So I'm constantly on the edge of feedback trying to pick them up.  And the soundtrack volumes are all over the place.  So I'm on the faders constantly, and have to be able to make quick (but sometimes small) adjustments based on feel, and can't look down much.  So I don't think any of the iPad-controlled digital mixers will cut it.

I miss not having any means of dialing out feedback, although the Soundcraft asymmetric EQ may help.

One other thing that would really help is input channel meters, or at least a signal light.  When I do have the luxury of working with wireless mics, I need to know quickly if they forgot to switch on their mic or if they got the wrong mic.  And very few analog mixers have anything useful like this.

But scenes, compression, delay, and subgroups aren't as important.

I was actually hoping to get something for a show I did last night, but I decided to just superglue the faders on the old Yamaha and go with it.   So it's not as urgent; I don't have anything planned in the near future.  But I don't want to be up against a deadline again. 

I do believe in "buy once, cry once, buy twice, cry twice" however.  So maybe I should look at digital stuff again.  Or wait a little while and see how it evolves.  I wish someone would make a modular setup: a stage box that you can use either with an iPad or control surface.  It seems stupid to put analog I/O on a digital mixer case.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »

I agree 100%.  A number of years ago when I did more of this type of work and wanted to upgrade, I decided that digital was the way to go.  At the time I needed subgroups, delay, parametric EQ, compressors, etc, and really wanted the scenes and better metering.  So I sold all my outboard equipment and bought an 01v96i.  I also wanted remote mixing too but choices were limited back then.

Ironically I ended up not doing any theater for a long time after that so never used the scene feature, although I did do a number of concerts for the next year.  But then things tapered off and I had a lot of unexpected expenses, so I sold all my good equipment and have just been using the original cheap stuff I bought a long time ago.  But now I'm doing a little more and what I have just doesn't cut it; but I'm not doing anything major.  So I was just thinking of getting something cheap for now.

The problem is I'm usually working with area mics with kids with no experience.  So I'm constantly on the edge of feedback trying to pick them up.  And the soundtrack volumes are all over the place.  So I'm on the faders constantly, and have to be able to make quick (but sometimes small) adjustments based on feel, and can't look down much.  So I don't think any of the iPad-controlled digital mixers will cut it.

I miss not having any means of dialing out feedback, although the Soundcraft asymmetric EQ may help.

One other thing that would really help is input channel meters, or at least a signal light.  When I do have the luxury of working with wireless mics, I need to know quickly if they forgot to switch on their mic or if they got the wrong mic.  And very few analog mixers have anything useful like this.

But scenes, compression, delay, and subgroups aren't as important.

I was actually hoping to get something for a show I did last night, but I decided to just superglue the faders on the old Yamaha and go with it.   So it's not as urgent; I don't have anything planned in the near future.  But I don't want to be up against a deadline again. 

I do believe in "buy once, cry once, buy twice, cry twice" however.  So maybe I should look at digital stuff again.  Or wait a little while and see how it evolves.  I wish someone would make a modular setup: a stage box that you can use either with an iPad or control surface.  It seems stupid to put analog I/O on a digital mixer case.

Scott,  I don't know your budget but I just sold a 3 year old fully depreciated x32 Compact and a brand new Gator X-tour case we had never even taken out of the box for 1k.

If you shop well I think you could duplicate that deal.  It hits on every point you made. 

Honestly I loved our compact and the only reason we sold it was to get the M32R's and spent some money to keep the governments hands off of it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stelios Mac

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

You could certainly get an XR16/18 (or X32 Rack?) + an xTouch and do exactly that - Or you could get an x32 producer for around the same money (Which is what I would do). It's out of your $500 budget, but then you'd need way over $2k of outboard to do what it can do on an analog desk.

I personally own an XR16 and absolutely love it. I always prefer using it over any boards I come across - even including a Tascam TMD8000 and a Crest HP8. Those are obviously great desks, but they don't give you the same sort of flexibility you get with a console like the xAir if they're not being accompanied by a rack full of compressors, EQs, DSP & FX processors. You don't get total recall with the press of a button. You can't rearrange the order of the faders on the fly. The list goes on and on... You may or may not benefit from that sort of flexibility, that's up to you to decide.
And if that matters, people are generally more impressed by my ability to control everything from an iPad than "knowing what all those buttons do", LOL  ;D
Hope that helps :)

Craig Smith

Re: $500 analog mixers
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 05:54:47 PM »

I didn't know about the xTouch, might be an option.  I was just looking at the Producer, although it doesn't get near the love of the Compact.  I'll have to see what the differences are (besides scribble strips).  In either case I would have to get over my Behringerphobia; I hear nothing but good about the X32 but years ago I swore I would never buy Behringer.  I'm also hesitant to buy used, but might be time to get over that too.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »

This makes me a little sad... I used to be product manager over mixers, and $500 didn't get you that much a few decades ago...  Now you can get a ton....

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »

This makes me a little sad... I used to be product manager over mixers, and $500 didn't get you that much a few decades ago...  Now you can get a ton....

JR
And amplifiers fall into the same category.

It is amazing how much things have changed-in design and manufacturing-and customer needs/desires.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Craig Smith

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 09:53:43 PM »

JR
Not sure I'm following; did anyone imply otherwise?  It is amazing what you can get now.  Although my Mackie VLZ is the same price today that it was 19 years ago.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 09:53:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.