ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: $500 analog mixers  (Read 21242 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: $500 analog mixers
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »

What I meant was I was hoping to use an XR16 as a stage box for the X32, but it doesn't look like you can.  Unless you can use Ultranet to do that.  I sent an inquiry to Behringer but haven't heard back.  (I've already heard back from Soundcraft twice on their products.)

Good to know about being able to play music remotely.  Interestingly it looks like you can only do that on the XR16, not the XR18.  And I guess you can either play music or record but not both since it only has one port. 

All these mixers have an amazing amount of features.  I think the Producer is still the way to go but we'll see.
I am pretty sure that the XR18 also supports this feature (music playback from USB)

The X-Air mixers do not have the AES controller in them, so they can't use or be used as a stage box.  Had to cut costs somewhere or it would have simply been an X32 Rack ;)

FWIW, the Behringer stage boxes are much less expensive than either Soundcraft or Allen & Heath.

Craig Smith

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2017, 11:59:53 PM »

I am pretty sure that the XR18 also supports this feature (music playback from USB)

The XR18 doesn't have a USB-A port at all; it uses the USB-B computer connection for playback and recording.

The X-Air mixers do not have the AES controller in them, so they can't use or be used as a stage box.  Had to cut costs somewhere or it would have simply been an X32 Rack ;)

Yeah, that makes sense.  I've been researching their features and see a few other things they cut to keep them cheap.  I wish Behringer had a way to compare products.  I've had to pour over a lot of info to compare things, and even then their specs are difficult to find.

FWIW, the Behringer stage boxes are much less expensive than either Soundcraft or Allen & Heath.

True.  It's still weird though that you can get a full mixer for less than a stage box.

One thing I noticed with the X32 is that you apparently can't assign the right-side faders to input channels, only buses?  That seems really dumb if true; possible deal-breaker for me.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2017, 12:35:53 AM »

One thing I noticed with the X32 is that you apparently can't assign the right-side faders to input channels, only buses?  That seems really dumb if true; possible deal-breaker for me.

On which X32?  On the Compact & Producer and the M32 Rack (you cannot do this on the full size consoles), push the buttons for whatever 2 banks of 8 faders you want access to simultaneously. They can be inputs, bus outputs, Matrix/L-R outputs, DCA groups:  you can have inputs 17-24 on the left and Bus masters 9-16 on the right; or inputs 1-16 across the top, etc.  The lowest number input bank is automatically on the left, so you can't have FX Returns on the left and inputs 1-8 on the right, for example; the inputs would be left and the FX returns to the right.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Smith

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2017, 12:57:11 AM »

On which X32?  On the Compact & Producer and the M32 Rack (you cannot do this on the full size consoles), push the buttons for whatever 2 banks of 8 faders you want access to simultaneously. They can be inputs, bus outputs, Matrix/L-R outputs, DCA groups:  you can have inputs 17-24 on the left and Bus masters 9-16 on the right; or inputs 1-16 across the top, etc.  The lowest number input bank is automatically on the left, so you can't have FX Returns on the left and inputs 1-8 on the right, for example; the inputs would be left and the FX returns to the right.

Thanks, that would be great.  The manual makes it sound like the left bank is controlled by the left buttons and the right bank is controlled by the right (middle) buttons.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2017, 01:26:03 AM »

Thanks, that would be great.  The manual makes it sound like the left bank is controlled by the left buttons and the right bank is controlled by the right (middle) buttons.

As far as they go in the explanation, yes. ;)

My crew guy that has a very active FX mix likes being able to have his sends and returns on the same layer and then switch back to inputs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2017, 07:56:36 AM »

The XR18 doesn't have a USB-A port at all; it uses the USB-B computer connection for playback and recording.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I've been researching their features and see a few other things they cut to keep them cheap.  I wish Behringer had a way to compare products.  I've had to pour over a lot of info to compare things, and even then their specs are difficult to find.

True.  It's still weird though that you can get a full mixer for less than a stage box.

I stand corrected!  That seems really silly (no L/R recording to USB A) on the XR18.  The X32 has both

As Tim pointed out, the X32 does support something they call "fader spill".  This allows the left side faders to show the first set of 8 selected, and the right 8 faders to show the 2nd set of 8 selected.

Craig Smith

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »

Thanks guys, good news.  In answer to your first question Tim, I'm looking at the Producer and Compact.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.