ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Axient Digital  (Read 24247 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Shure Axient Digital
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »

Shure Axient Digital

http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/av/shure-unveils-axient-digital-wireless-system/

Looks like a meld of original Axient and ULX-D. A few other interesting things as well.

-True diversity, ShowControl, and transmitter options from Axient
-Digital platform, quad receivers, Dante, and AES-256 Encryption, and high density mode from ULX-D.
-About 33% lower latency than ULX-D (2ms vs. 2.9ms).
-They appear to be offering transmitters with and without show control.

They say 184 MHz tuning bandwidth for Tx and Rx. Once current actions become legally binding in the United States there won't even be 184mhz of contiguous bandwidth available in UHF. Any thoughts on this?

I have mostly ULX-D G50 and some UHFR H4 in my current inventory and I will need to expand sometime in the next 12-18 months. I've got to wrap my head around the options.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Shure Axient Digital
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »

I saw it at NAB, it looks cool overall, pricing is supposed to be much closer to ULX-D than Axient.  Frequencies supposedly don't stay put, so don't know how that will affect tight coordination. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »

I saw it at NAB, it looks cool overall, pricing is supposed to be much closer to ULX-D than Axient.  Frequencies supposedly don't stay put, so don't know how that will affect tight coordination.

What do you meant frequencies won't stay put? I don't see anything about that in any of the literature.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »

I asked if the frequencies were set manually and stayed until manually changed, or if they hopped.  I was told they move on their own, but not full hopping.  I put it on my mental list to confirm later. 

At the Sennheiser booth, looking at the 6k series, the person I talked with made the first point that the frequencies stay where they are told. 

Both products looked cool, but for different reasons. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 11:55:39 PM »

If it's anything like the current axient line up, then you can have it setup to automatically change frequencies, or just prompt whenever a hit is detected.  I would be disappointed if they put the axient name on a product that wasn't similar. In all my venues that have coordinators I just ask/ or tell them twice the number frequencies that will ever be in use, and program the extras into the spectrum manager as backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 07:15:44 AM »

If it's anything like the current axient line up, then you can have it setup to automatically change frequencies, or just prompt whenever a hit is detected.  I would be disappointed if they put the axient name on a product that wasn't similar. In all my venues that have coordinators I just ask/ or tell them twice the number frequencies that will ever be in use, and program the extras into the spectrum manager as backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, I would be really surprised if this wasn't just like the interference avoidance system from Axient Analog. Subject to your programming, Axient can automatically jump from your set frequency to a predetermined backup frequency if you are running a showlink network. It can also be programmed not to do this. Also, based on the Axient Digital literature, this feature would only be available for the new ADX transmitters with showlink, not the AD ones. This is almost nothing like a true 'frequency hopping' system like in 2.4ghz.

Caleb, My guess is that you've misunderstood what they meant. I don't *think* there is any unknown or unplanned frequency hopping that will be happening.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »

There will be two lines of transmitters - AD and ADX.  The ADX line will have the transmitter remote control like the current analog Axient. That means that you can have the receiver requesting new frequencies from the Spectrum Manager just like analog, and I think it'll even be the exact same AXT600 spectrum manager.  Up to you the operator to decide if you want automatic frequency switching or not, and like now you'll have some control over that via the spectrum manager's frequency list and WWB.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »

There will be two lines of transmitters - AD and ADX.  The ADX line will have the transmitter remote control like the current analog Axient. That means that you can have the receiver requesting new frequencies from the Spectrum Manager just like analog, and I think it'll even be the exact same AXT600 spectrum manager.  Up to you the operator to decide if you want automatic frequency switching or not, and like now you'll have some control over that via the spectrum manager's frequency list and WWB.

I was really hoping for frequency diversity in the bodypack as well, something the current crop does not have. At least they kept it in the handheld.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »

I was really hoping for frequency diversity in the bodypack as well, something the current crop does not have. At least they kept it in the handheld.

Look at it this way: There are things that can go wrong with a bodypack aside from interference.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »

Yeah, that's interesting. Cables, external antennas and etc.

Any thoughts on the new system and wireless going forward?

What are your companies buying right now or looking at buying next year?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.