ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What? No threads on the Fyre Festival disaster?  (Read 25675 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: What? No threads on the Fyre Festival disaster?
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2019, 08:16:30 PM »

I just heard some story about McFarland trying to get one of his guys to perform sexual favors to the Bahamian Customs agents in order to get their trucks full of water out of customs holding.   :o
That was in the Netflix doc. He was ready to "take one for the team", but the agent released the water with the promise that they would be among the first to get the import duty paid.

All the rock & roll lies were used in the making of the Fyre farce ;^)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2019, 12:09:31 AM »

I just watched the Hulu documentary. I didn't realize that McFarland was in bed with Aubrey McClendon of Chesapeake Energy. I guess fraudsters run in packs, though.

I feel bad for the vendors, staff and Bahamian locals that got burned financially by these guys. I have a harder time feeling bad for the spoiled brats that spent more in tickets for this thing than I make in a year. A little hardship in a deserted island for a few days did them good I think.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2019, 02:09:28 AM »

Watched both the Hulu and Netflix documentaries.
The Netflix version was more "fun", with more actual footage of the unfolding of the mess and the minions who had to try to deal with it going down. The Hulu version was more oriented towards the scammer, Billy McFarland's machinations.

I'll have to check out the Netflix version then too!

I have a harder time feeling bad for the spoiled brats that spent more in tickets for this thing than I make in a year.

One of the things I took away from the documentary is that being a "social media influencer" is a thing...  If only Chauvet or ETC paid me thousands of dollars for every time I "influence" someone towards the purchase of their products!  But really, how does one get to the status of being paid hundreds of thousands for a single tweet?  I can think of people that I've NEEDED in my life such as plumbers, electricians, doctors...engineers and designers who's work moves society forward...teachers who helps shape the brains of tomorrow...  Never in my life have I NEEDED a social media influencer, yet why is it they're paid more than those who we truly do need?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2019, 02:47:22 AM »

I just heard some story about McFarland trying to get one of his guys to perform sexual favors to the Bahamian Customs agents in order to get their trucks full of water out of customs holding.   :o
Seth or Billy, lol

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »

I can think of people that I've NEEDED in my life such as plumbers, electricians, doctors...engineers and designers who's work moves society forward...teachers who helps shape the brains of tomorrow...  Never in my life have I NEEDED a social media influencer, yet why is it they're paid more than those who we truly do need?

Some of us have been asking this same question about pro sportsball players for years.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »

While we buy the products they endorse, the game will go on.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »

Some of us have been asking this same question about pro sportsball players for years.
I've never been a sports fan. But I especially hate football. 8 years of indentured servitude in marching band will do that.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »

I've never been a sports fan. But I especially hate football. 8 years of indentured servitude in marching band will do that.

I didn't play in the band (piano is hard to march with, back in the day) but share your resentment of the Worship of Football (good thing I'm not in Texas).  High school, collegiate, professional... does not matter.

As George Carlin implied, the masses must have their attention diverted so they don't realize "they're being fucked by a system that threw them overboard 35 (now almost 50) years ago."

edit - to fix Carlin quote
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:15:19 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2019, 06:09:45 PM »

I was in marching band back in high school - it's actually one of my favorite memories from that point in life.  As far as professional sports go, I've never followed them.  Growing up in Cleveland will do that to you...  In fact, the last time I went to a baseball game was because I was paid to be there!  I just think it's crazy though how much social media has infected society.  Last month I put on a small fireworks display for a wedding on Miami Beach and the number of Instagram model wannabes polluting the area was insane!  It was like a forest of zombies and selfie sticks!  I just don't understand the need to share pictures of myself to feel validated by a bunch of people I don't know...

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »

It was like a forest of zombies and selfie sticks!

When I first heard of this "Fyre Festival" thing -long before it tanked and became worldwide news, this is what I initially imagined it would look like.
-just a fancy background for narcissists

(Years of managing "trendy nightclub" A/V taught me to be so jaded about things like that)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.