ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a little insight on setup on PA  (Read 6627 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Need a little insight on setup on PA
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »

Thanks Nathan!! Those are my wants and yes I do now understand that with my equipment my goal won't be reached 100%.

As for positioning I'll try and make a diagram of my venue

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sketch it on paper, include some dimensions/size, any place speaker CAN'T be placed, etc.  Take a low-res pic of the sketch with your phone (jpg must be <512kB).  Attach to your post.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

phillip.burdick

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 09:56:53 PM »

Here's a super basic layout...

phillip.burdick

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 11:02:22 PM »

Oh and what do you mean by align? As in physically align the speakers or ??

phillip.burdick

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:16 PM »

Scratch that.... goggle does wonders.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »

I've no significant reason for suggesting the QSC over the Crowns, if only that the RMX line has a pretty good reputation for a more budget priced amp line. I've owned both Crowns and QSC's, but none of those models.

I saw the diagram. I'd set the main LR system up first, leaving MR925's off to start. I don't think they are going to add anything positive to the overall sound, just maybe make it louder with less clarity since the are not aligned properly to the main system.

You mention feeback problems. Are you running any stage monitors, or are the feedback issues from the FOH?

Thank you Patrick for the reply. I live in a rural Washington state in a town with less than 8k people. My wife and I own a nightclub and often have 3 to 5 piece bands or DJS and sometime a comedy show. Total square feet is around 3000 and we have 11' ceilings.  I have the stage setup in a corner of the room with the speakers facing diagonally across the room.  A local friend gave me a lot of equipment in addition to what I already had. I know the rockvilles are not up to par for a high quality sound system, but it was all I could afford when we opened 2.5 yrs ago. Now I have all this other stuff and just want to use what I have to make the best of it. Hooking all of it up together isn't a goal of mine. I definitely want to slim down what I have just want to pick the best components for a good sound.
Is there a reason why you chose the qsc amps over the crowns?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:23 AM »

Oh and what do you mean by align? As in physically align the speakers or ??

Scratch that.... goggle does wonders.

I'm glad you did a little research, really what I mean is phase align, which is close, but not exactly the same as time align.

I saw the diagram. I'd set the main LR system up first, leaving MR925's off to start. I don't think they are going to add anything positive to the overall sound, just maybe make it louder with less clarity since the are not aligned properly to the main system.

I agree with Patrick, keep it simple to start. Check each speaker individually. Then one side together then add the other side. Try to get the results you want with only the two subs and two mains. Just like Brian Jojade said, less is more.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »

You will be way ahead of the game if you pick up a pair of the JBL SRX815 or SRX835s and start with a single SRX 828sp sub. The extreme increase in quality sound will keep customers in your place longer, spending more money so you recoup these costs in a very short time. Your system will be decently protected from being overdriven by DJs and other inexperienced sound people with the built in DSP and you will eliminate a lot of your personal time  being wasted by dicking around with the stuff you have multiple times before going this route anyways. Find a way to come up with the $4k to make this happen, you will be much happier and ahead of the game in the long run.When you can, add a second sub and it will be even better, especially for your DJ nights. You could get that whole system for under $400/month for 12 months interest free from ZZounds and much better deals elsewhere if you have cash. $400/month is selling an extra 100 drinks a month maybe?
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Mark Amber

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »

$400/month is selling an extra 100 drinks a month maybe?

If you have ever seen arrested development you can use their method. Pour out a drink, throw it down the sink, take $4.

Seriously. I started working with a band locally who plays gigs in bars. Before they were using some Yamaha 15" mains and no subs and an analog board with no processing. I went in and brought a modest PA of 2 RCF HD32 12" and a single Danley TH118 and a behringer x32 producer as a freebie for the first show because the band was skeptical. We told the bar owner what was going down.

Long story short: the bar (mostly sports usually) had *almost everyone* out dancing and interacting. I don't know the numbers but by the emphatic "we want this every time you come, how much?" I can tell you it was well worth the quite a several hundred I charge the band and whatever cut they take PER SHOW. It's now a good deal because I dialed in the board and their tech can manage most everything.

It turns out that the old sound system was too annoying for guests. They thought they liked it but had to leave after listening to the noise for too long. With the addition of the subwoofer and lower overall dBA (while feeling as loud or louder) guests would stay longer and buy more.

Steve Garris

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »

Here's a super basic layout...

Phillip,

Looking at this plan of your club I'm going to suggest you try something. Place both subs together on the long wall, facing into the dance floor. This can provide more even coverage throughout the room, and the sub's will couple, which provides a little more output. When you do this, it's a good idea to turn down the mid/high speaker that doesn't have a sub under it (the one pointing at the bar). Just turn it down a bit at the amp, or use the pan control on your main out of the board.

Just a suggestion to try - it may or may not sound better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 25 queries.