ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble Shooting a Rattle/Distortion in a Yorkville U15 Horn  (Read 1819 times)

Steve Crump

Let me preface this by stating I am not a bench tech/ speaker service person, just a speaker owner with an issue.

Okay, I setup my (4) Yorkville U15s to test before putting them up for sale (again). They have been stored for around a year. I was playing some BB King and messing around with the board not paying a lot of attention, sounded good. Then I started playing Gillian Welch at a typical SPL level for a small outdoor event, started walking around the yard and I was getting this "rattle or distortion" out of the one of the horns. What was weird it seem to come and go, more go. Not coming and going at a high rate, it was just as if at points during the music it wasn't that noticeable. Like it was only happening in a certain range or output?  Well I started unplugging speakers just so I could focus on that one speaker. When Gillian's vocals were really pronounced is when you could really hear the "breakup".
I took the horn and HF driver out, brought it into my shop plugged the HF driver into a small amp and didn't notice any sound issues, then I did the same with the MF drivers with the same result, reinstalled the horn into the cabinet and tested again and break up was still there. I did have another speaker on the same cable and amp channel, so I know it wasn't some where back through the chain because the other speaker sounded great.

Any thoughts? Could it be the integral crossover?

Steve

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Trouble Shooting a Rattle/Distortion in a Yorkville U15 Horn
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »

Let me preface this by stating I am not a bench tech/ speaker service person, just a speaker owner with an issue.

Okay, I setup my (4) Yorkville U15s to test before putting them up for sale (again). They have been stored for around a year. I was playing some BB King and messing around with the board not paying a lot of attention, sounded good. Then I started playing Gillian Welch at a typical SPL level for a small outdoor event, started walking around the yard and I was getting this "rattle or distortion" out of the one of the horns. What was weird it seem to come and go, more go. Not coming and going at a high rate, it was just as if at points during the music it wasn't that noticeable. Like it was only happening in a certain range or output?  Well I started unplugging speakers just so I could focus on that one speaker. When Gillian's vocals were really pronounced is when you could really hear the "breakup".
I took the horn and HF driver out, brought it into my shop plugged the HF driver into a small amp and didn't notice any sound issues, then I did the same with the MF drivers with the same result, reinstalled the horn into the cabinet and tested again and break up was still there. I did have another speaker on the same cable and amp channel, so I know it wasn't some where back through the chain because the other speaker sounded great.

Any thoughts? Could it be the integral crossover?

Steve
Run a sine wave sweep from low to high then narrow it down to a specific frequency range. If it is the entire range for say the horn or high mid woofer it is more than likely the driver(I doubt its the crossover unless its more of a fuzzy distortion sound, can't think its a rattle for the crossover), if it only happens at a very specific frequency and maybe its harmonics it is more likely to be a loose internal brace or something that it resonating.

You need to test speakers with more than just music.

I would also try installing the drivers in a known good box to rule out the drivers being an issue.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »

It sounds like this known issue:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,106662.0.html

Mike,

Thanks a million...I read through that post and I just dropped the speaker out of the cabinet and I can see L7 (without removing the crossover from the cabinet) and the lead is broken. I have to get the crossover out and the plywood that the crossover is mounted to has adhered itself to the cabinet. This ProsoundWeb community is so cool....

Steve Crump

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

It sounds like this known issue:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,106662.0.html

OK L6 too.

My crossover states V5.00. Is this something Yorkville will warranty on 5 year old speakers since they already know the issue? Of course I have already did a soldier, so I can test...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.