ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Upside down light switches?  (Read 12679 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Upside down light switches?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »

If the light is on the ceiling, then ON is up.  If it is a lamp from a switched outlet, then ON is down.  It is all about the flow direction to the fixture.  Just like the hot water knob (or single handle direction) is on the side nearest the hot water heater.  It varies in the house, room to room, using this rule.  For this reason you must ask, "Where is your hot water heater?" when you have a need for hot water.

Prime real estate available on the Mississippi - Arkansas border.  Super low prices.  Cash only.
Maybe its a Mississippi thing but my kitchen sink delivers hot water when set to cold (blue) and cold water when set to hot (red).  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 12:26:10 PM »

Guess what the rest of the world thinks...

Down = on (unless it's a two way switch).

European convention for equipment switches is up for on though.

So, if we count the "ways" of a switch, in the US you have 2-ways, 3ways and 4-ways, in the rest of the world you have 1 ways, 2 ways and 3-ways?  HOw does a one way switch work?  Unless you have at least 2 "ways"-on & off-it can't be a switch?   ???
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »

For this reason you must ask, "Where is your hot water heater?" when you have a need for hot water.

I don't understand why so many people need a "hot water heater." I mean, if the water's hot, why does it need to be heated?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »

I don't understand why so many people need a "hot water heater." I mean, if the water's hot, why does it need to be heated?

My still almost brand new hot water heater developed a new undesirable characteristic... the water started to smell bad (rotten eggs)... It even affected how my laundry smelled.  >:(

During installation I left the thermostats at the (safe) factory settings of 120' which isn't hot enough to kill all the nasties (that apparently eat sulphur in the water).

Several hours at 140' made the water smell like water again.  ;D

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Allred

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »

The technical name is "hot water re-heater".

FYI - A pool pump timer on the water heat circuit pays for itself pretty quickly.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 02:54:23 AM »

So, if we count the "ways" of a switch, in the US you have 2-ways, 3ways and 4-ways, in the rest of the world you have 1 ways, 2 ways and 3-ways?  HOw does a one way switch work?  Unless you have at least 2 "ways"-on & off-it can't be a switch?   ???

One switch = one way (although not referred to as such).  Two switches = two way, etc.

Steve.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 05:51:18 AM »

To add to the strangeness, I found this sort of switch on my cruise ship in Holland as well as my hotel room in Paris. You have to put your room key into the slot to energize the room lights. Makes sense since it guarantees you'll turn out the lights when you leave the room, but I've never seen anything like it in the USA. And yes, you have to push the switch "down" to be ON. 

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 06:16:39 AM »

To add to the strangeness, I found this sort of switch on my cruise ship in Holland as well as my hotel room in Paris. You have to put your room key into the slot to energize the room lights. Makes sense since it guarantees you'll turn out the lights when you leave the room, but I've never seen anything like it in the USA. And yes, you have to push the switch "down" to be ON.
Same in Japan.
This comes from the fact that power is expensive and they want to reduce use.
Something we need to consider here in N America where most forms of energy are relatively low cost and we piss it away.

Anyway, as I see it...A 1 way switch only works with DC and a 2 way is good for AC  ;D ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 06:36:24 AM »

Another thing I noticed in Holland is that their 230-volt hair dryers get hotter than heck compared to the 120-volt ones in the USA. And the Euro power pin size is larger on the hair dryer so they won't fit into the bathroom power receptacles. And yes, you have to push the switch on the hair dryer "down" to be "on".

Daniel Levi

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »

Another thing I noticed in Holland is that their 230-volt hair dryers get hotter than heck compared to the 120-volt ones in the USA. And the Euro power pin size is larger on the hair dryer so they won't fit into the bathroom power receptacles. And yes, you have to push the switch on the hair dryer "down" to be "on".

Yep, multiple sizes of europlug and the small ones are only 2.5a iirc so no good for a hairdryer, there is also the British BS 546? which is for shavers which is bigger than a europlug in terms of pin diameter so despite being rated for lower current won't fit in a standard European socket.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.