ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?  (Read 19522 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »

Hmm, I'll agree that the single top handle seems odd, but it's not been a problem for me.  I'm tall enough that I can carry them around from the handles, and two at a time seems easier with them upright.  When I'm putting them on stands I usually hold them with two hands from the bottom so the lack of handles isn't an issue.  Often I'm standing on one sub and putting them on a pole stuck in the other sub.  Although I'm thinking of investing in crank stands to get them up higher and start from an easier place.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »

Hmm, I'll agree that the single top handle seems odd, but it's not been a problem for me.  I'm tall enough that I can carry them around from the handles, and two at a time seems easier with them upright.  When I'm putting them on stands I usually hold them with two hands from the bottom so the lack of handles isn't an issue.  Often I'm standing on one sub and putting them on a pole stuck in the other sub.  Although I'm thinking of investing in crank stands to get them up higher and start from an easier place.

There is definitely a 'knack' to it - using the bottom of the speaker to push it up onto the stand. I do use crank and gas assist which helps but the start height can still seem to high sometimes.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »

Yes this has put me off because I've got a dodgy shoulder and having side handles makes all the difference for me! I've found it harder to put lighter speakers with only one handle on the top onto a stand than a heavier one with a side handle!

If it helps at all Richard, I can lift them onto stands myself - only 5' 2" and not a 'big girl' at all and I had shoulder surgery about 15 years ago. I just prefer not to and let hubby handle them.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »

I have mentioned this before too -  one of the very few pet peeves I have with my DSR112's. I suppose Yamaha figured that anything under 50lbs is light enough to lift onto a stand without  aside handle - maybe that is so at the beginning of the night but not at the end.. it always feels 20lbs heavier at 1.00am in the morning!!

LOL.  I say this at every gig Debbie ;)

We usually play until ~1:30am so it is generally around 2:00am when we start carrying speakers out.  After a full load in from the basement, followed by ~30-60min setup, followed by ~4 hours of performing, that 47lbs feels like a ton at break down! :)

Thank God for Tiger Balm and a wife that knows how to kneed it into the muscles :)

I do agree though.  50lbs is about all I would want to lift up onto stands with 1 person.  I can carry my 81lb XLF's if there is absolutely no other possible way out of it, but that is more than most people would be able to deal with.

Is plastic really that big a deal for FOH speaker sound?

Richard Penrose

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 05:55:28 PM »

Is plastic really that big a deal for FOH speaker sound?

Maybe not?

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »

I suppose Yamaha figured that anything under 50lbs is light enough to lift onto a stand without  aside handle - maybe that is so at the beginning of the night but not at the end.. it always feels 20lbs heavier at 1.00am in the morning!!
Just because you *can* doesn't mean you enjoy doing it.  It's why I love the top & both sides handles on the ART 7 series - and they're really comfortable handles too...

You are referring to the current coaxial floor wedges. They have new conventional two way traps coming.
Aha, so more than just a minor revamp, then.  Looks much more practical to use for FOH.

David Buckley

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 07:24:15 PM »

Wow looks like the 745a and 732a in wooden cabinets!

That's what I got too. 

Market segmentation means they cant allow them to be too good or they'll lose TT sales, but doesn't meant they can't better their competitors.

The TTs really are a step up from this category of box, and in my opinion is where someone looking for a step up from the Yammies should look.  The Yammies are class beyond their price (and weight!), and one really has to try quite hard (ie spend a pile of bucks) to get significantly better in that sort of format.  On the other hand, it's sometimes possible to use a "size down" of TT compared to other manufacturers boxen.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »

I don't carry anything.  If you are carrying speakers something is wrong with your logistics.  Everything either rides or has wheels.  Gigs with stairs require a helper or I pass on the booking.

Time is money.  One flight of stairs can be done by one guy.  Two stories, I need three to load in within a reasonable time period.  I can't run a business on extraordinary performance and asking one guy to schlepp 2000lbs of gear up a flight of stairs and back down (or the other way around) is not something I can bank on.  They certainly aren't going to be able to setup and the mix the show with any level of proficiency at the edge of exhaustion.

It's also a recipe for accidents.  Studies have shown that the degradation of performance is quite steep with exhaustion.  It's not a gentle slope.  Given overload humans revert to a form of sensory lock where the simplest of tasks become too difficult.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »

+1 on Scott's comment. I just passed on an event because it's on the third floor and there's no elevator. Increased labor costs would exceed the clients budget, not to mention that production days are long enough without having to mule gear up and down three flights of stairs. I have 10 QSC HPR122s packed two to a case. I use them as monitors on larger shows and over HPR 181 subs as main PA on smaller events. I always thought they sounded better than K series and KW series. Was a little disappointed when they were discontinued. In terms of ROI, they've been the best money I ever spent. They've been used heavily for years and held up incredibly well. Other then the fact that they're in need of a fresh coat of paint, I've only had to replace one HF driver and one 18" woofer. Both blown up on rentals.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »

+1 on Scott's comment. I just passed on an event because it's on the third floor and there's no elevator. Increased labor costs would exceed the clients budget, not to mention that production days are long enough without having to mule gear up and down three flights of stairs. I have 10 QSC HPR122s packed two to a case. I use them as monitors on larger shows and over HPR 181 subs as main PA on smaller events. I always thought they sounded better than K series and KW series. Was a little disappointed when they were discontinued. In terms of ROI, they've been the best money I ever spent. They've been used heavily for years and held up incredibly well. Other then the fact that they're in need of a fresh coat of paint, I've only had to replace one HF driver and one 18" woofer. Both blown up on rentals.

+1 on Gary's comment.  We also pushed our HPR's to monitor duty and they have become our premium monitor.  They have gone out with a cross rented line array on an outdoor stage for a national act with rave reviews.  Since then we have positioned them for that duty.  We still have 6 working HPR122's and Two HPR 152's and an HPR115 sub for drum monitor.  I wish I had not sold my HPR153's.  They would have been perfect over KW122's for side fill duty.  When I sold them I never thought I had never done a stage large enough for side fills. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.