ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?  (Read 19438 times)

Guy Graham

Re: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »

I've used both sub's recently, and while the DXS has great low extension and gets very loud, it did not come close to matching the output of (2) stacked PXR618's.

That really shouldn't come as any surprise, as you've rightly observed.

My experience with various MI speakers, including subs, is that they generally perform in line with their obvious limitations - like any loudspeaker product does, at every pricepoint.

I've not had that much experience using the DXS subs, but when I use them - they are perfectly competent performers, that get the job done nicely. It would be rather peculiar if they could equal the performance of two similarly-priced alternatives.

By contrast whenever they are referenced on Gearslagz or whatever, folks appear to feel obliged to add a qualifying comment that bandpass subs are inevitably "one-note wonders".

Having used a lot of Italian powered subs, many of which are 4th order bandpass designs - I do not recognise this characterisation. When used within the scope anticipated by their designers, they are perfectly capable of sounding good.

The no free lunch in audio refrain should be boldly printed across every MI speaker. Once that is understood, the mythical unicorn product that potentially performs as well as another costing twice the price, will wither away from the speculation and general BS that seems to surround the MI powered speaker market!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 01:58:29 AM »

The DSR112's are not horridly heavy at 47lbs, but you feel that extra 11 lbs when carrying them (especially 2 at a time).

The DSR112's are 1kg  lighter than the DXR15's I own which is a good thing. However, I don't like the fact that the handle is on top when mounting on stands.

I hear the newest ART RCF 745 speakers are both light (42 lbs) and great sounding, albeit a bit higher in price than the 12's we have been mostly discussing ($1500).  The 735 is only a couple of pounds heavier, but runs only $1K.  Haven't heard anyone say anything about these yet though.

I heard the 735a's very briefly and they did sound good but it was in a small demo room and just pre-recorded music! Ideally I'd like to move away from plastic speaker boxes and get some wood cabinets. Also, I'm really not that keen on the appearance of those RCF boxes. I prefer a simple full grill for corporate work. Anyway, I'm hoping to take my DXR15's over at some point and a/b them outside but this won't be for a while.

This has been a real problem for me too! It seems every new MI powered speaker product adds extra unnecessary sockets, switches, knobs, buttons and screens - cluttering up even further the rear of these boxes, providing more opportunities for wondering hands and accidental knocks to make inappropriate adjustments or break something.

If just one company could design a product with simple input and thru sockets, plus a port to provide control via a phone app or tablet etc - I think they'd find a market, as long as they don't charge Meyer prices of course.

That issue aside, I don't see any need for new or additional models of powered speakers. If I was in the business of investing in this kind of equipment, I'd want products that are proven in terms of their build quality and performance.

For some reason the MI sector seems to attract interest in new products that no one has seen or heard yet. Then there are attempts to parse minute performance differences, as justification for what represent effectively sideways moves.

I don't mind having a couple of sockets on the back as I sometimes use a speaker for rehearsals/workshops and I like being able to plug a keyboard and vocal mic into it.i like the fact that it is multi purpose. I also like having switches for HPF and DSP settings. I don't like digital screens with menus etc though!

Whilst the difference between these MI speakers aren't huge like going from Alto to KV2, L'Acoustics, DB Technologies there can be quite a noticeable difference between some products!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:37 AM »

I heard the 735a's very briefly and they did sound good but it was in a small demo room and just pre-recorded music! Ideally I'd like to move away from plastic speaker boxes and get some wood cabinets. Also, I'm really not that keen on the appearance of those RCF boxes. I prefer a simple full grill for corporate work.

It looks like RCF may be utilizing the ART 7 series components in new NX models that are coming out soon. Wood cabinets, full grills.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Richard Penrose

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 06:44:27 AM »

It looks like RCF may be utilizing the ART 7 series components in new NX models that are coming out soon. Wood cabinets, full grills.

That sounds very interesting! Is there any more info on these anywhere?

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 07:49:49 AM »

Although the current models have some ergonomic oddities for FOH use, i.e., power and signal connectors come out of the top face of the cab when the speakers are pole mounted.

Pricier, too, unsurprisingly.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »

.... a speaker with no switches I have to check every time...

This feature-set creep on MI self-powered speakers is a recurring problem for larger inventories. A DSP with configuration lock would be helpful.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »

Although the current models have some ergonomic oddities for FOH use, i.e., power and signal connectors come out of the top face of the cab when the speakers are pole mounted.

Pricier, too, unsurprisingly.

You are referring to the current coaxial floor wedges. They have new conventional two way traps coming.
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 10:57:11 AM »

That sounds very interesting! Is there any more info on these anywhere?

Not that I see googling, but here is a brochure page.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »

The DSR112's are 1kg  lighter than the DXR15's I own which is a good thing. However, I don't like the fact that the handle is on top when mounting on stands.

I have mentioned this before too -  one of the very few pet peeves I have with my DSR112's. I suppose Yamaha figured that anything under 50lbs is light enough to lift onto a stand without  aside handle - maybe that is so at the beginning of the night but not at the end.. it always feels 20lbs heavier at 1.00am in the morning!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »

Not that I see googling, but here is a brochure page.

Wow looks like the 745a and 732a in wooden cabinets! The NX 45-A is only 1kg heavier than my DXR15's so I'll be very interested in hearing those at some point! I'd also be interested in hearing the NX 32-A also because I've found in the past the specs RCF publish seem to out perform other MI speakers I've tried regarding max SPL and frequency response!

I have mentioned this before too -  one of the very few pet peeves I have with my DSR112's. I suppose Yamaha figured that anything under 50lbs is light enough to lift onto a stand without  aside handle - maybe that is so at the beginning of the night but not at the end.. it always feels 20lbs heavier at 1.00am in the morning!!

Yes this has put me off because I've got a dodgy shoulder and having side handles makes all the difference for me! I've found it harder to put lighter speakers with only one handle on the top onto a stand than a heavier one with a side handle!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.