ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?  (Read 19523 times)

Richard Penrose

Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »

I'm wondering if Yamaha/Nexo will update their DXR and DSR ranges now that EV, JBL, QSC, FBT and even Alto are updating and improving their ranges.
I own the DXR15's and I really like them. They are solid workhorses that sound excellent and have never let me down despite some pretty hard use!
I regularly get great comments about the sound of these. Also, I've had a few occasions where a couple of sound engineers made some mistakes and drove them well into limiting where the light was permanently on for about 30-40 seconds. Amazingly they have survived this on a few occasions and there was no damage at all! I wouldn't want to try this with a few brands!!
Anyway, I really hope Yamaha will update these ranges and raise the bar even higher within this price bracket. I'd love a lighter version of the DSR115's or mkII DXR's with higher audio quality. I just hope that they don't put those digital screens with push button menu controls on them. I love having the various switches on the back of the DXR's.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Will Yamaha upgrade their DXR & DSR ranges?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »

But they are already SOOOOOOO good !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Amber

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »

How about someone figures out how to make a speaker with no switches I have to check every time that isn't named Meyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Amber

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »

Are the Yamaha legitimately better than stuff like the JBL SRX800? I'm curious now

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »

Are the Yamaha legitimately better than stuff like the JBL SRX800? I'm curious now.

Not quite but IMO the DXR and DSR lines are still the class leaders in 1" exit powered PA speakers so they don't really need an update yet.

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »

Are the Yamaha legitimately better than stuff like the JBL SRX800? I'm curious now

Nope, the SRX800P are more "robust sounding" / can handle bigger jobs. JBL positioned the SRX800P as high end MI with bits of the Touring when they sprinkle in info of "V5 tunings that match VTX" whereas Yamaha is more in the middle. The DSR is a really good speaker and beats the regular contenders ala QSC K/KW, JBL PRX and EV but Yamaha didn't make a good "bass reflex" style sub to complement nor a 3-way cab. The DSR118W was underpowered and the DXS18 is a bandpass design like the QSC K-Sub.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:12:53 PM »

I've had a few occasions where a couple of sound engineers made some mistakes and drove them well into limiting where the light was permanently on for about 30-40 seconds. Amazingly they have survived this on a few occasions and there was no damage at all! I wouldn't want to try this with a few brands!!
Er, that's what the limiter's for.  With any decent active speaker, you can drive them with the limiter light on all day with no ill effects, as the limiter's doing its job.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »

Er, that's what the limiter's for.  With any decent active speaker, you can drive them with the limiter light on all day with no ill effects, as the limiter's doing its job.

Alec has a point here...

I ran CS400s from 1978 to 1995.  They kept me from "gettin' out of hand", and protected my drivers.  I moved on to the PV2600, and ultimately a pair of CS3000s.  Same thing.  I didn't lose a driver in 30 years of gigging (due to abuse), because the "protection" worked.  Believe me; I tested it!  After one moderately expensive false start, I have committed to the "speaker-with-an-amp-built-in" world for my smaller system.  What did I learn?  If it doesn't sound good, go back to way it did;  but, keep trying.  Be patient.  Audio just keeps getting better.

-Dennis

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »

Not quite but IMO the DXR and DSR lines are still the class leaders in 1" exit powered PA speakers so they don't really need an update yet.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it. It seems silly to me to spend all that money on development if you are already the best in your class/budget. Now if one of the contenders brings out something to beat the DXR or especially the DSR, then it might be time to do the work but till then, why?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »

Nope, the SRX800P are more "robust sounding" / can handle bigger jobs....

I agree - but only just!  :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.