ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad External Sound card audio interface what to get for live sound ?  (Read 14798 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

The headphone output on the ipad and iphones is _not_ bad. Anyone who says otherwise has not tested it or used broken gear.

Here is some good info: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm

Some aren't, some are.  The out on my iPad has always crackled.  No problems going out via AirPlay...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dan Mortensen

Now I'm confused.

In response to Robert's post, I reached out to the two guys who told me about the HRTF stuff. The one who's easiest to reach doesn't remember talking to me about this, but hasn't yet replied to the clarification if he just doesn't remember talking about it with me or if it's untrue or both. The other one hasn't yet responded but he lives his life nearly overwhelmed and on deadline most of the time, it seems.

I remember it as clear as yesterday, since what they were telling me was so unexpected and would have major implications for how I should do my work on a daily basis. I also remember asking many questions to clarify just what it was they were talking about because it was so far outside my expectations of what was in that little device and would necessarily change how I used it.

I'll report back after getting definitive answers.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
This thread gave me a headache
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »

1.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2.  Bluetooth < 1/8" headphone jack.
3.  MP3 < 1/8" headphone jack.
4.  Your PA speakers < 1/8" headphone jack.
5.  The room you are playing in <<< 1/8" headphone jack.
6.  Seriously - if you can't articulate a perceived problem with your current setup, it's not broken.  See #1.

Lyle had the right answer - your lights will make a bigger difference to your show than any audio hardware change.

Mark Amber

"mastered for iTunes"

As I understand it, mastered for iTunes is actually a good thing for us audio nerds. They have very demanding "don't be stupid loud" and ISP specs. What's more, there are new LU specs they publish and all of the music coming through their radio service are penalized for excessively loud LU

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

As I understand it, mastered for iTunes is actually a good thing for us audio nerds. They have very demanding "don't be stupid loud" and ISP specs. What's more, there are new LU specs they publish and all of the music coming through their radio service are penalized for excessively loud LU

They don't have the same dynamics as the CD, it's compressed to keep the average pgm level above the level of ambient sound leakage around cheap ear buds.  For its intended purpose it works, but it has become the sonic expectation of a generation of listeners.

About 20% of the population has NEVER listened to music over a traditional loudspeaker hi fi system.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Amber

They don't have the same dynamics as the CD, it's compressed to keep the average pgm level above the level of ambient sound leakage around cheap ear buds.  For its intended purpose it works, but it has become the sonic expectation of a generation of listeners.

About 20% of the population has NEVER listened to music over a traditional loudspeaker hi fi system.
Not to be pedantic... but I don't think you are right on that one...

I am basing this on some reading I did when this started coming out... how the "mastered by iTunes crap" was supposed to by some stroke of luck, actually help the industry.

Now I could be wrong... and of course I'm going to look it back up since you seem to insist the other way around (and I'm not above being wrong of course) but I thought I remembered something else.

Now... of course... if you were mastering to 25LU before and now iTunes MFiT comes out and they say "you must do 24 LU" of course that's going to be more compressed. But CD or not... take a listen to most stuff produced in the 2000-2010 era: ISPs everywhere and when you normalize it down you hear the distortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Mortensen

Dredging up this old thread to reply as promised about the HRTF on headphone outputs from personal playback devices.

Both people who I am certain told me about this don't remember telling me about this at all and deny that they believe this to be true in all cases.

One of them said there can be an issue with devices like this putting out multiple volts at 300-500kHz on the headphone connectors, but the device he named where he found it is not one that we'd likely find at a live sound event IMO. So there you go.

My apologies for spreading what is apparently a falsehood. As I said earlier, I am quite certain that I heard it and asked multiple follow up questions of both of them, as not using the iPod headphone output through speakers was and did immediately change my SOP a lot.

I'm sorry for any problems that were caused. This is a very strange episode.

:-[

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.